Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 08-21-2004, 04:07 PM   #1
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a tick in my engine bay. I originally thought it was just the normal piston slap. Then I thought that it might be a pushrod because I changeed the LIM and wasn't sure if I might have messed something up.
Well I went out this morning ready to tear into the motor and re-torque the pushrods. I take the belt off and crank it up to see if it could possibly be something belt driven. It is there was no ticking present with the belt off. Which led me to believe it might be a pulley. I replaced the pulley located between the alternator and the power steering pump. That didn't help it.
What I would like to know is if anyone else has had this problem? What exactly is making the ticking? Could it be the power steering pump? I've never head 1 tick before. I've replaced the water pump. Does the idler pulley make a ticking sound? I took it off and spun it to see if it made a sound but nothing. Same with all the pulleys. Any help would be appreciated.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 04:40 PM   #2
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
if the idler pulleys are in good condition they make no tick, i just replaced both of mine because one of them seized and broke a belt, and led to an alternator problem.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 06:58 PM   #3
FormulaNERD
GLS member

oh, and i have the tick too.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
jamcllw
GLS member

I think I've narrowed it down to the power steering pulley. I don;t know if I can get just the pulley or if I have to replace the entire pump.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #5
flalero

I had a really bad tick under my hood and I investigated it. It was my PCV valve. I just went to wal-mart, paid about $3.00 for a new valve, and voila, no more tick.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:39 PM   #6
jamcllw
GLS member

I replaced my PCV valve when I did the LIM gasket. The tick is definatly coming from something belt driven. I think I've got it narrowed down to the power steering pulley. I've got a pulley ordered from the parts store. It should be here around Thursday. I'll find out then if it's the power steering pulley. If not I'm going to change the idler pulley. After that I have no clue what to do I guess I'll just live with a tick.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:11 PM   #7
FormulaNERD
GLS member

well like i said, i changed both my idler's and my alternator, still ticks. maybe it's the tensioner.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:41 PM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I have this tick too. I haven't been able to locate it exactly but I also narrowed it down to the pulleys.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:39 AM   #9
bigd6983

I have a tick too but I could have swore it was internal, now that you guys are talkin about it being maybe a pully it questions what I thought.........
Old 08-23-2004, 08:23 AM   #10
jamcllw
GLS member

The only reason that I know its not engine related is because the belt was removed and then cranked up to see if the tick was present. I've always heard that these motors had piston slap but goes away after a couple of minutes. This tick never went away and it is loud. I'm almost positive it's the power steering pulley. It should be changed this coming up weekend.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:02 AM   #11
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
My 2.4 liter engine ticks when I start it and also has a slight squeel to for the first couple minutes after startup. I have no idea what it is.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote