Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-30-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
A friend of mine took out a deer about a month ago. It destroyed his hood and passenger door. Insurance totalled it out and he bought it back from them. I have a good hood but the latch is bent all out of shape and won't work. I need it to pass Ohio inspection to make it legal to drive on the road again. Does anybody know if hood pins would pass the inspection and if they are legal?
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:42 PM   #2
mobs241

they are if you still have a latch
go to a junkyard and get a new latch.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
jamcllw
GLS member

The latch itself is fine but the place it mounts to is all bent out of shape.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
why would they be illegal?
Old 10-30-2004, 08:14 PM   #5
jamcllw
GLS member

Not nessarily illegal just wondering if they would pass Ohio's inspection to get a rebuilt title so it can be registered and insured.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:02 PM   #6
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
oh ok
Old 10-30-2004, 09:36 PM   #7
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
well it sounds like the core support is bent or crushed am i right???
i need to see a pic so i can help ya out more
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 10:37 PM   #8
jamcllw
GLS member

Cool I'll get it up tomorrow. I tried bending it back up but it didn't seem like it wanted to stay.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:52 PM   #9
mobs241

in stl there illegal without a latch, unsure why but i guess to many failures
Old 10-31-2004, 06:06 AM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I don''t see why they would be illegal :unsure:

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:17 AM   #11
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
hey dude
i need a close up shot of the damage to the car
then i can help ya out
Old 10-31-2004, 10:22 AM   #12
jamcllw
GLS member

Pic of new hood on car
Old 10-31-2004, 10:23 AM   #13
jamcllw
GLS member

front of car
Old 10-31-2004, 10:24 AM   #14
jamcllw
GLS member

latch with hood up
Old 10-31-2004, 10:26 AM   #15
jamcllw
GLS member

latch with hood down
Old 10-31-2004, 11:12 AM   #16
bdyman
GLS member

thank`s
ok by the first pic it looks like the car was some frame damage
i say that because i can tell by the hood and the fender gaps and by the right side headlight
so get a measuring tape, and you want to measure out the front end
go off of the strut tower bolts all 4 or all 3 what ever it has
and meassure it too the first bolt on the fender
then measure it off a hole close by to determine how far the front end is over
so.....................if ya don`t have access to a frame rack or can`t afford to take it to a shop to have the sway pulled out
then ya need to relign the sheet metal, get a new/used secondary latch, remove the old one and relign the sheet metal
if you have access to a morgan knocker<<10lb slide hammer
pull the upper and middle and lower part of the core support out and down on the right side ya might have to pull the middle part of the core support out by the latch
why??? when a car is hit on a angle not only does and it will sway the uni-body over and it is designed to bring it down as well
the 3rd pic tells the story the uni-body is swayed over
so like i said above if no acsess to a frame rack or can`t afford it relign the sheet metal
i hope that helped ya out
Old 10-31-2004, 11:17 AM   #17
bdyman
GLS member

oh ya when you measure out the front end put the tape measure in the middle of the bolt and in the middle of the hole on the core support
lol,,,i have more
i doubt that the hood hinges might have gotten whacked but it is possible
so.........look at the gaps from fender and door they should be even and not big or small again sataing my case that the front end is swayed over
but if ya have any more questions need help contact me and i can help ya out more
Old 10-31-2004, 12:14 PM   #18
jamcllw
GLS member

I measured everything out and they all seem to be equal. I measured from all the strut bolts to the first bolt on the fender and then from the fender bolt to the center hole on the core suport and they seemed to be exactly 24" on both sides. I think I'm going to get a core support from the junkyard this week and put that in unless you have anymore ideas?

Thanks for all you help
Old 10-31-2004, 12:50 PM   #19
bdyman
GLS member

no need for a core support at all
if you measured out and it`s all even relign the sheet metal
i still say measure out some more take from the 1st fender bolt go to the last bolt on the hood hinge
if you can measure out the frame rail top of the rail to the floor
top of the core support to floor
here is the way i learned
lenght x widthx heightx squared
if all that is good then your uni-body is straight or frame
try that some more if it is all good
relign sheet metal
Old 10-31-2004, 04:05 PM   #20
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
i would say you would be cool with just hood pins, if that is what you want, i only had hood pins on my OEM style CF hood, but then again, i am from south dakota....