Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-12-2006, 05:55 AM   #1
FutureEcotecOwnerAgain

Possible Alero or Grand Am GT Project

Considering this past month or so I have been pretty active, mainly because my account was tampered with when you guys got hijacked awhile back and I've just got my password and account straigtened out. So with that said I've noticed that there can be some power made with the 3.4, granted I had the Ecotec prior and loved it, and I love the overall look of the Alero, but which would be a better buy between the 2, a GAGT or Alero? I know the gears are better in the GAGT and stock for stock the GA would beat the Alero, hell I beat a v6 Alero with my auto Ecotec Alero. Like I said this is a project, meaning heads, cams, exhaust, and other internal work will be done. In the end I wanna be runnin 13's, atleast, and hopefully N/A. Not sure if this can be done N/A, but I wanna try, regardless of what you guys say, I'm gonna try and get atleast close, LOL.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
what's the deal with these comments, "I wanna try, regardless of what you guys say, I'm gonna try and get atleast close" ?
if you read my showcase thread, we're talking about the benefits of both engines now.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Stick with the alero, and swap in a GTP tranny and get better gears....
Old 11-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
/\ agreed, in order to run 13's you need to make quite a bit of power, most likely more than the tranny in either car could deal with for an extended amount of time so you will be in for a rebuild at the least, which will cost almost as much as a 4t65 swap. So imo tranny isnt an issue since once you get the power you need a new tranny will have to be in the works anyway.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 AM   #5
FutureEcotecOwnerAgain

So the trannys in both cars are weak? I did not know that information. My brother has a 99 GAGT that has alittle over 100,000 miles on it, I could probably buy it from him for about $4,000 or so, if he wanted to sell it. I love the look of an Alero more, just heard that the gearing sucks compared to the GAGT. Like I said, I have awhile before I make the decision, and I might not get another car yet, might just spend some money and take an expensive vacation, for a couple weeks.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
The tranny isnt specifically weak but like anything once you start throwing power at it, its not gonna want to last for you. id say up to about 260 hp you should be ok with stock. If you drive it like an ahoe of make more power than that it will eventually need to be rebuilt.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote