Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 10-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #21
BadFrog
GX Member

BadFrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to BadFrog
alright, to up date I got about a grand saved in labor, I'm hopin to work with my buddies dad in his after hours shop. adn within the week I will be finig out how much I can get the parts for right from GM.
from what the dealership guy, who sounds more down to earth than most( he actually told me to save some moeny and do some of it myself), the danger witht he A/C clutch is that if it goes too far that the pully will come off, therfor no belt and you can figure out what else goes then.
BadFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #22
BadFrog
GX Member

2 quick questions, I have the "sport suspension" do I buy the strut mounts for that kind of suspension or does it matter? and the dude said I need strut mounts and bearings, but on GM parts direct there is no strut bearings, and the part number he gave me dosent work, whats the deal wth that?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #23
BadFrog
GX Member

ok for an update, I got the brake caliper done, very cheaply I might add, go aftermarket parts. the suspension is next, since I have most of the parts, I'm waiting on a set of lowering spring, I figure why not change them while I'm at it. as for the big job (LIM, water pump, A/C clutch, and Power steering gear) my mechanic says the LIM isn't bad, unlike what the dealership said, so its not super imediate, but I have a question, does anyone know what I can do to help eleviate the cost of the powersteering gear( part is like 500$ from GM directly)? I have been told that there are aftermarket version which are cheaper but i can't find them anywhere. another question whats the difference between powersteering gear, and PS pump?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:30 AM   #24
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
The power steering gear is also referred to as the Rack and Pinion. The pump is the part attached to the engine.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:51 PM   #25
myowneq
GX Member

myowneq is an unknown quantity at this point
I might be a little bit late on this one, but with your LIM, you can go a long while with it leaking, but when if fails (and it will) it will be quite catastrophic. Make sure you check your water every day for around town and every two hours on long trips. Otherwise, you'll overheat and, if like me, I warped my heads. Good luck.
myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:46 PM   #26
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
-edit-
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #27
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
My issue was the other way around. Car ran fine with just fan, but turn on the A/C or defrost and hear a noise like someone sticking a pencil in a fan. Also with the A/C on, my V6 had the power of a 4 cyl Geo Metro
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:39 AM   #28
BadFrog
GX Member

Wel in regards to the LIM, I had my mechanic check it out while replacing the break caliper, he said its not bad, but if I am going to fix the A/c clutch, the water pump, and power steering crap may as will replace the LIM while we're in there
Old 11-29-2006, 08:23 PM   #29
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't have the 3.4 but if you can just undo the belt that drives the A/C. The only reason that the compressor runs while you have defrost on is just a maintenance thing so that it doesn't sit all winter...it doesn't actually do anything and I promise you will have heat....just not cold in the summer. We had to do that in out Eclipse when the compressor clutch went bad. BTW if anyone already said this sorry, I just skimmed.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:03 AM   #30
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alero2k4 View Post
I don't have the 3.4 but if you can just undo the belt that drives the A/C. The only reason that the compressor runs while you have defrost on is just a maintenance thing so that it doesn't sit all winter...it doesn't actually do anything and I promise you will have heat....just not cold in the summer.

You're wrong on that. The A/C actually helps dehumidify the air, thus defrosting the window quicker.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:10 AM   #31
BadFrog
GX Member

Well, The A/c clutch is not a huge concern, I'm getting the parts from my girlfriends mom who works fro GM, and I don't have to get a whole compressor, just the clutch, pully and bearing, its less than 100 in parts, not a big deal to me, I'm more worried about the power steering gear, as it is a 500$ part, and it make an equally horrible noise.

Does anyone know where the power steering gear is, or how hard it is to get it out?

Last edited by BadFrog : 11-30-2006 at 10:13 AM.