Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-20-2006, 10:59 PM   #21
number1alero
GL Member

number1alero is an unknown quantity at this point
^i dont have 40-60 grand to lay down...the 2uz swap and all the customization is believed to be about the same price as the 3.4L stroker kit, granted its sourcing parts from various racing teams and what not, but its hella cheaper than that.... but id be interested in looking at what they do exactly with the 240sx
number1alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #22
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.full-race.com/r14/ I don't think it would be too expensive, depends on how fast you want to go. I would love to have an s14/s15, those things have such beautiful bodies with clean lines.

Last edited by mrmike : 11-20-2006 at 11:07 PM.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:08 PM   #23
number1alero
GL Member

hmm 4 grand for a front clip, 4-6 grand for the clip swap, 2-3 grand for the electronics, hmm perhaps it can be done for about 20-25 grand with everything correctly installed
Old 11-20-2006, 11:12 PM   #24
mrmike
GL Member

I should send them my Alero and maybe they won't notice that its not a 240. RB26DETT awd alero time attack monster = sleeper
Old 11-20-2006, 11:14 PM   #25
number1alero
GL Member

^unfortunately im sure they would be like wtf is this imposter doing here in our shop, get that unibody junk outta here!
Old 11-20-2006, 11:16 PM   #26
mrmike
GL Member

The owner would probably just give it to his mom for grocery runs
Old 11-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #27
number1alero
GL Member

^nah, he would donate it to a 16 yr old to rice up, just a damn shame i didnt have a camera today, saw a car that had neon lights on it, and the neon lights probably cost more than what the car was worth, and they were the old gas tubes too
Old 11-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #28
mrmike
GL Member

riced Aleros are worse than any other riced car I think.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:21 PM   #29
number1alero
GL Member

i couldnt agree more, ive seen about 5 or 6 aleros around here with body kits and what not, but you know darn well they are bone stock on the engine cause they wasted too much money on the kit and stickers
Old 11-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #30
mrmike
GL Member

It's kinda silly for a kid to spend money on the engine though, if its just a kid he's going to go for a visual mod instead of expensive engine stuff that no one can see.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:29 PM   #31
number1alero
GL Member

^but if the kid was smart hed realize that how fast the car is, is more important than the looks, and if looks are important, they come after the speed of the car, after all isnt it all about how fast your car is compared to mine? and ill bet i get more women in a 10second sleeper that whips everyone in the street racing scene/drag racing scene at the track than a car that looks like a 10 second car but is actually a 16 second car
Old 11-20-2006, 11:32 PM   #32
mrmike
GL Member

Speed isn't important where I'm from, its like a million miles to the nearest offical racetrack/dragstrip, but I can understand what you're saying.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:52 PM   #33
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
It would be awsome to hear the lumpy idle of a 600hp carbed V8 coming from my Alero

or, why not the sound of a cammed 600hp injected 3400?

For anyone else that's toying with the idea, Smith Performance Specialties has the Grand Am (same car) RWD conversion kit if you really wanna throw a V8 under it.....prefabbed stuff to put it together would make it alot easier, but I dont see why you'd bother other than for the novelty.

ZZP has already shown you can pull down 9's (soon to be 8's) with a GM FWD V6 for alot less money than a V8 conversion will cost unless you custom fab everything yourself, then it's a time vs. money issue.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:02 AM   #34
mrmike
GL Member

Well I guess it doesn't really matter, only a handful of people would put that much work into making an Alero go fast, so what engine they choose is their business. I just like the sound of old muscle vs. new high rev injected stuff. If I wanted to go fast, I could buy a 300zx twin turbo for less than I paid for my Alero, so I would just trade in and trade up. Btw Blackjack thanks for always sticking up for the V6, it gets a bad rap sometimes but you've shown that it isn't as helpless as most people thought
Old 11-21-2006, 12:05 AM   #35
number1alero
GL Member

frankly as i research more and more, i more and more consider buying something like a chevelle or something 66-70 muscle as a true project car, nothing beats the low rumble of those cars and some of the amazing horsepower those cars have
Old 11-21-2006, 12:08 AM   #36
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Btw Blackjack thanks for always sticking up for the V6, it gets a bad rap sometimes but you've shown that it isn't as helpless as most people thought

Thanks. Some of the guys with newer S/C Mustangs and the GTO's are finding that out the hard way

oh yeah, here's the link for that company I mentioned...forgot to include it. And a few pics from their photo gallery. Keep in mind, this is NOT an Alero shell on a different frame. It's a front and rear bolt-in subframe assembly. From the looks of it, a good $5,000 for the subframes, suspension setup, and then after that, you provide the drivetrain. I can build a sub-11 second Alero FWD 3400 for that price.

http://www.smithperformance.com/catalogue_ga_sub.html

Old 11-21-2006, 12:18 AM   #37
mrmike
GL Member

Hey Blackjack is there any benefit to converting a FWD to RWD for racing? I guess if you were going all out on a drag car like that you would be replacing the whole drivetrain/ tubbing the back so maybe it wouldn't be any more difficult. I can only imagine the horror of replacing everything under the car and paying someone with a lift to do it.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:20 AM   #38
number1alero
GL Member

the only benefit i can see is the car being RWD instead of FWD, which im sure you know the benefits of RWD over FWD
Old 11-21-2006, 12:41 AM   #39
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

it's a tradeoff. you have weaker drive components in a FWD (axles and whatnot) but those can be beefed. Another problem is torque steer. With one axle shorter than the other, it tends to want to pull to the short side, since the long side has more flex.

Other than that, a FWD should get more traction since the weight of the drive train is over the drive wheels, as opposed to the RWD having little weight on it.

Base idea is, I want to see how much I can push out of a FWD, and try and prove that it's just as effective if not more so than a RWD.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:47 AM   #40
number1alero
GL Member

^isnt the big thing also have to do with physics in that a FWD counteracts the forward momentum somewhat because of having to pull the rear end along instead of having the rear end push the front end ahead?