Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-17-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
jlenko
GX Member

jlenko is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jlenko
Ok.. kind of an off the wall project here... but no one has ever accused me of being "normal" so.. staying true to form... some background first...

I have a 99 Cavalier Z24 convertible. Here is a picture of it: http://s93165229.onlinehome.us/image.../frontside.jpg (click )

I bought the rear half of an 03 Cavalier coupe. That's right, rear HALF. I'm turning it into a trailer. I cut the roof off, hacked it back to the B-pillar, and now I'm just in need of an axle to move further.. Here's a pic of it, so far: http://s93165229.onlinehome.us/images/trai...apr6/apr6_4.jpg (click )

Ok.. so.. ever since I saw the American Tuner Sunfire at SEMA 2002... specifically this pic: http://www.gmenthusiast.com/gallery/sema20...ay/P1010024.JPG I knew I had to have the rear IRS swap. It's from a Grand Am.. including the rear discs. Now, I already have rear discs on mine (from a 93 Corvette.. they're HUGE!!) so that's not an issue... but anyway, I digress...

I'll be using the axle from my car on the trailer... but in the meantime.. I can use the trailer as a mock-up for the IRS swap for the Cavalier

So.. here's the deal.. I am using the axle and rear brakes from an 01 Alero.. same as the Grand Am. I figure it will bolt up no problem (I've done LOTS of measuring), the only issue is making a 1 inch spacer to keep the crossmember away from the spare tire sheet metal, and possibly having to shorten the arms to the aluminum knuckles, for clearance on the wheel well. Or just roll the wheel wells, lol!

Here's my current mods... Eibach Pro-kit, Koni Red struts, Addco rear sway bar. This thing handles absolutely amazing... it corners like it's on rails, and surprises the heck out of punk kids on curves.. especially at autocross So.. needless to say.. I need to maintain or even surpass that level of handling...

So... HERE'S MY QUESTIONS!!

1. What kind of sway bar upgrades are available?

2. I'm pretty certain Eibach makes springs for the N-car.. anyone have just the rears laying around they want to part with? Or happen to know where I can get JUST the rear springs?

3. Koni doesn't make struts.. except for the OSV Alero I was told. Anyway, I need rear struts then. Shocks. Call 'em what you want. I suspect the Monroe struts are for OEM replacement as they are on my Cavalier.. KYB any good? The J-car ones are TOTAL CRAP for lowered applications... and I will NOT do anything half-assed to my car. I rode on Eibach Sportlines at one time for over a year on stock blown struts... never repeating that episode again!! So.. what struts can I use? And don't say "Mantapart" because I need them this year..

I think that's it.. sorry about the long read... I tend to blab.. on.. and on... and on....
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
John.... Tristan here i was on your forum but it was messed up a while ago.... pm me or call me (604-860-9000), RSM racing has some rear sway bars for the n body, www.rsmracing.com and their quick... 4-8 days

And im local (lower mainland) so if ya want help let me know...

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
BLK03GXS
GLS member

ohh and i have some stock springs you can have... haha or if you want to help me get some working coilovers.. you can have my h&r's....
As far as shocks i know KYB has em for nbody, and ONE guy on this board has koni adj's but he had em custom made... i think it was malero...

Old 04-17-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
jlenko
GX Member

I've got a line on the complete rear axle... disc to disc including stock struts and springs. They'll bolt up to the J-car chassis fine, but obviously they'll be at the wrong height and my existing Koni rears won't swap over (different mount). I wonder if the fronts would fit? Hmmm.....

I was comparing stock J-car and N-car rear springs.. look pretty darn similar. Also curious if the Eibach pro-kit springs I have would fit the N-car strut assembly... guess there's really only one way to find out
Old 04-17-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
BLK03GXS
GLS member

They are differant part #'s like for my H&R's the jbody and Nbody part # is differant, but its easy enuff to make stuff work, allthou if your gunna use it as a trailer, extra hight, or a front spring wouldnt be a bad idea, cus when you load it down it wont sag as much...

Old 04-18-2005, 02:04 AM   #6
jlenko
GX Member

The trailer is going to be a show piece... pretty much exclusively... back seat will become a couch to sit in at the show... so you can watch the screen in the trunk of my car and then the trailer trunk will have a wet bar and fold-out barbeque in it.. I think it'll score some points
Old 04-18-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
BLK03GXS
GLS member

awsome

Old 04-18-2005, 07:08 PM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
i have a eibach/kyb setup............very nice handling........
Old 05-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #9
jlenko
GX Member

Ok, so it looks like I'm gonna try the Koni fronts from a J-car... since they're inserts... I'll cut up the N-car rears to try and make it work.

Parts For Your Car (www.pfyc.com) has a rear sway bar upgrade... and since I have to order the QwikChange pulley system from them anyway (for the GM supercharger for the 2.4L) I'll just order them together

Pics soon