Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
GL2Alero
GX Member

GL2Alero is on a distinguished road
Help with radiator replacement

I am going to replace the radiator in my Alero 3400 and the Haynes book says to remove the radiator/condensor/fans as a unit....
Is it possible to remove the radiator without removing/disconnecting the air conditioning system?
GL2Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Drop it out the bottom. Just unbolt the condensor from the radiator and drop the radiator support.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
The condenser was a bitch to disconnect

[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
hahahahaha nice picture
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
it aint that bad to disconnect. idk what your complaining about.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
GL2Alero
GX Member

Thanks, Ill definitely try to drop the radiator without disconnecting the condenser. Even if its a PITA it will be worth not touching my AC. Ive had the car since Nov 2000 and never had any issues with the AC and I dont want to bother with it, it still works great.
It seems like it was about 4 years ago it just started running warm and overheated a few times in the summer. The overflow bottle was cracked and then I found out the LIM was bad. Dont know what caused what first but I did the LIM and everthing was good except it still runs warm to overheating in the summer but fine in the winter and no loss of coolant anywhere so I thought this year I would try seeing if replacing the radiator would help. Dont know what else it could be. The fans seem to be working fine too.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Just take the fans out, pull the upper radiator mounts and lean the radiator and condenser toward the engine and unbolt the condenser from the radiator. You may be able to pull it from the top but the last two I did I pulled from the bottom with ease. Ever change the t stat? I would do that before I changed the radiator. I have an 11 year old radiator thats still doing just fine.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
it aint that bad to disconnect. idk what your complaining about.

x2. Cake
Old 03-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
GL2Alero
GX Member

I changed the tstat when I did the LIM about 3-4 years ago. Sounds like it wont be a big deal to do this just might have to wait this next weekend. I do already have the new radiator so Im going to rule that out.
Thanks for the input!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #10
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Let us know how it works out for you. Hopefully that will fix your issue.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL2Alero View Post
Thanks, Ill definitely try to drop the radiator without disconnecting the condenser. Even if its a PITA it will be worth not touching my AC.

zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
GL2Alero
GX Member

Ok, I got the radiator replaced today and it was a little bit of a pain but very doable without removing or disconnecting the AC condenser so I'm very happy about that.
I believe I found the reason why it runs hot in the hot weather. The top half of the front of the radiator was covered in dirt and lint and everything else preventing good air flow. This was the 1/4 in area between the radiator and the condenser so I couldn't see it until I had it out. I put the new radiator even though this one is probably still OK if it was cleaned up.
Will have to wait for some warm days to see how well it does but right now it is running and no leaks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (51.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
ow man
Old 05-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #14
GL2Alero
GX Member

Just an update since it has been a few months. The car has been running great and not one hint of running hot. We have had a few 90+ days so far and I have been climbing hills and in stop and go traffic and the hottest the needle has been is a smidge below the half mark so I am positive that the radiator was why it was running hot.
And now even the AC is colder!!! 160,000 miles and just as happy as ever.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #15
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Best news ever.. Imma need to drop my rad it looks like...