Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-03-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
justinusaf
GL Member

justinusaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to justinusaf
I have been looking into a kit that ports directly into the air intake. It is a 60/4 mixture of alcohol/methanol and water respectively. Only the examples i have seen are only on forced induction cars. Given that the purpose of the methanol/alcohol when sprayed into the intake is to cool the air down. I think that for those of us that have a non turboed or s/c'd car that this will still improve numbers at the track. I found a site where you can put together a kit for 160$. Some technical opinions on this would be good.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
wy3134

What would the point of doing this be? Blow the engine perhaps? Just dont understand why anyone would do this without forced induction.....but I would be interested to see results and prices and stuff nonetheless
Old 05-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #3
justinusaf
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wy3134@May 3 2004, 02:41 PM
What would the point of doing this be? Blow the engine perhaps?
How is cooling the air down going to blow the engine? That is the only purpose of the methanol/water injection is to cool the air down allowing more oxygen to be crammed in for each spark, therefore producing more HP. The water being in the mixture sounds odd to me also, but if you do a little research its not a problem.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
Sportalero

Is what you're talking about similar to what this kit does? It comes with an air intake attachment..
Old 05-03-2004, 08:17 PM   #5
Skiboarder311
GLS member

Skiboarder311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Skiboarder311
Ur talkin about water injection.

I have heard alotta good stuff about it, and i am gonna try it on my car. We're puttin a kit on my buddies GTP first to see the results and if theyre good, we're gonna throw a kit on my car, so i can use that on the street and save the nitrous just for the track.

But its suppose to show pretty good power gains and its said to be safe also
Old 05-03-2004, 08:43 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I was looking at the intercooler sprayer before

I was thinking about it for the raditor, but thinking about it I don't know if it will work the same way. Any suggestions on that?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:13 PM   #7
justinusaf
GL Member

REDOG I would not think that you would get much of a result at all from cooling down the radiator. I suppose if the whole thing was ice cold all the time that would help but other than that.. nah. Somthing to try though.
SKI thanks for the positive info. Where are you guys getting the kit from?. I found a do it yourself site that says you should be able to get the parts for around 150-160$.
Sportalero- I suppose that it is similiar to that kit but this is actually and injector that goes into your cai close to the throttle body.

The Do it yourself kit im looking at.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:25 AM   #8
Skiboarder311
GLS member

Skiboarder311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Skiboarder311
i think my buddy found the same website, cuz he was tellin me he has directions on how to to it urself,

it sounds pretty cool, now lets just see if it works
Old 05-04-2004, 03:25 PM   #9
vodkaslut85

that cryogenic cooling system looks safer and like it would be more productive than actual methane/water injection system...what I don't understand is will you have to refill the methanol/water after you've used it up or how would you get more?
Old 05-04-2004, 04:20 PM   #10
sc/alero

i had the waterinjection on my car and it does work well. i had the www.snowperformance.net kit. i added a bigger tank to my set up so there was less filling. i do recommend the kits and i will sell my kit if someone wants it as i am not using it anymore since i got the intercooler
Old 05-04-2004, 04:38 PM   #11
alerocity

how much would it cost
Old 05-04-2004, 06:18 PM   #12
justinusaf
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vodkaslut85@May 4 2004, 03:25 PM
what I don't understand is will you have to refill the methanol/water after you've used it up or how would you get more?
Yes you refill it.. if you read the article i have linked ^^^ up there somewhere it says you can buy denatured alcohol at any paint store and dilute it with water.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:36 AM   #13
StealthAlero

Ohhh man this is going to take a while....... I'll try to help you out as much as possible. But basically it is a waste hooking an alcohol injection system up to a car that is not a running forced induction.

http://wrxhackers.com/alchystuff
http://www.smcenterprises.com/injector_kit.htm

The types of alcohol that can be used.
1.) Isoprpyl
http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?Name...n&cTR=on&cIE=on
2.) Ethanol- Denatured
3.) Methanol
Isopropl is the least desireable. Methanol is best, with Ethanol a close second choice. Remember, "de-natured" alcohol is just Ethanol with enough Methanol added (usually about 70/30) to make it posinous for two legged varmits. All this info is on the web...search, search, and more search.HEET = 98% methanol
.99 a bottle @ Fred Meyer

Ok, alcohol injecting is a very complicated subject to fully understand, the basics can be learned in a couple hours but i don't feel like typing anymore so i'll paraphrase big time. Basically alcohol injection raises the knock threshold (equivilent octane) of the pump gas being used. Therefore slowing down the "burn" time of the gasoline. That is the same effect that high octane race gas does. Since the burn time is slower (spread out over a longer time) more ignition advance can be used, which in turn, significantly lowers EGT.

So..... depending on how much alcohol is used, might actually lean out the A/F because of the additional oxygen it contains. Am i getting through yet......

Basically its like using 91 octane on a stock alero, it does nothing.

If you still want more information or to chat with alki professionals goto our Ak car club website @ www.coldspeed.net/forum

Our group has done more alki installs then i can count, not to mention the 1st installs on many new cars like the evo8, srt-4, sti, s/c civic si, wrx. So whatever questions you have my friend, i know we'll get them answered.