Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-22-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
cybermob2

some local guys were saying crap about how ceramic pads aren't worth crap... and they are actually inferior to semimetallic.

i'm using a set (forget which kind) with brembo oem rotors on the front, and i'm personally quite impressed.

i have less than 1/2 the dust i had before, and they are VERY smooth. i can't say that the stopping power is any better, but oh are they smooth.

anyone else using ceramics? like em? don't? problems?

i haven't checked wear on them yet (i've got 10k on them so far).
Old 04-22-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
vodkaslut85

Ceramics are better in the long run, they last longer, but I bet when you just had them installed you heard a nasty cracking sound. Since ceramic is similar to glass, only allot less breakable, it makes the sound, and in some cases if you brake too hard right after installing the ceramics, you'll break the pads because you didn't give them a chance to be broken in, it's pretty much common knowledge but happens more often with ceramics. And the Brembo rotors you got will last you longer, and you'll feel the return in brake power when you need to dramatically slow down, you wouldn't feel it in normal situations...same type of things I had going on when I had ceramic pads and Brembo brakes in my camaro.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
cybermob2

i haven't had ANY problems with them. no "cracking" sounds or what not. i haven't really tried doing any insane stops, nor have i needed to. i just noticed how smooth they were.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
1WhiteOSV

Yea, I am going to get the Brembo's w/ a ceramic pad..from what I hear they are a great combo to have! Hopefully mine will be alright.but I'm not worried!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
vodkaslut85

One thing though, it's a pain in the ass to paint the brembo rotors and brake accessories in general because they come with a gloss finish...I tried with my Camaro and ended up not bein' able to use my car for a week because my brakes were fubared. If you guys want, I could talk to my grandfather and see if he could get you guys a group buy discount on Brembo brakes...he's a dealer and gets massive discounts on pads, rotors, even entire brake kits...and I think he could request custom colors if you guys are interested. Either PM me or leave a message here, but I think he'd need 5 or 10 people for the group buy, cuz I got brembo pads and rotors for all 4 wheels for 220 dollars for my camaro and he could probably get a similar deal for Alero's.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:46 AM   #6
1WhiteOSV

Quote:
Originally posted by vodkaslut85@Apr 23 2004, 12:53 AM
One thing though, it's a pain in the ass to paint the brembo rotors and brake accessories in general because they come with a gloss finish
I really hope you mean CALIPERS because I have never heard of painting the ROTORS...if you painted the rotors, with ANY kind of paint, it'd just rub off from the pads whenever you hit the brakes. :unsure:
Old 05-03-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
3.4Alero

/\ /\ but it WOULDN'T rub off anywhere else. Lots of people do this.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:09 PM   #8
a2k
GX Member

a2k is an unknown quantity at this point
I have Raybestos rotors and Ceramix brand ceramic brake pads (made by Raybestos) that i bought from Napa. I have no complaints. They brake nice and smooth. no noise. When i did the brake job myself, i usually take the car around the block a cpl of times and slam the brakes hard to make sure all is working -- and I did it and the brakes were responsive... so no cracking when new either!
a2k is offline   Reply With Quote