Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-03-2006, 11:32 PM   #21
alerocar01
V.I.P. Member

alerocar01 is an unknown quantity at this point
how long can you wait before you get the case learn done?

DO WORK
alerocar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:52 AM   #22
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
Quote:
Originally posted by 1WhiteOSV@Apr 3 2006, 10:58 AM
Definitly under the DRIVER'S side dash (all Alero's.....)

it is an AWESOME mod..get it..you will LOVE it

I had an 02 and it needed the re-learn (can do it yourself in your garage...it takes 10-30 mins....)

Install new PCM
Turn key to "on" position and let sit for 10 minutes (till security light stops flashing)
then turn key to "off" position
then turn key to "crank" (try to start the car)
if it starts, you're done...if not, do NOT turn key back off, just turn one click back to "on" position and let sit another 10 mins (till security light stops flashing)
then turn key back "off"
then try to crank again.......if it does not start, repeat procedure till it starts

Do not pay a dealership to do this......it requires NO mechanical skill....just patience.......anyone who pays for this is just plain ignorant and apparently not confident(no offense to those who did...but c'mon)......it's SUPER easy
is this for the case learn?, or security?...is there really a difference?...i just ordered mine, and need to know if i can do this myself

thanks
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:42 AM   #23
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
^The two re-learn procedures are completely different!

Those directions are for the Security Re-Learn!

The Security Re-Learn you can do your self and all it does is makes the car's security system learn the new PCM.

The C.A.S.E. Learn procedure is done ...(if i remember correctly)... to tell the computer where in rotation the crankshaft is so the ignition is timed correctly; The dealership is the only ones I know that have the equipment to do this procedure.
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #24
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
does the security re-learn need to be done?...i thought once you pulled the stock stereo it made this null and void
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #25
racin4JC
GL Member

racin4JC is an unknown quantity at this point
The Security relearn only needs to be done if the new PCM is put in and the car doesn't start, if it does then just the crank positioning one needs to be done.
racin4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #26
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I didn't have to go to the dealer for a relearn, but I did have to do all the steps listed on the PFYC site to "relearn" the PCM.

two 7mm bolts hold in the connectors, they do not come out of the holes on the connectors. Take care not to overtighen the bolts.

The easiest way to get it out is the remove the door jam panel too. I just found it gives a bit more room. There is a lever between the PCM holder and the dash. Push it to the left and the PCM will drop out. Be sure you do not put the new one in backwards

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #27
alerocar01
V.I.P. Member

how many seconds are shaved off the quarter mile with one of these in?

DO WORK
Old 04-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #28
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Quote:
Originally posted by alerocar01@Apr 4 2006, 05:53 PM
how many seconds are shaved off the quarter mile with one of these in?

0. probably not even a half of a second.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:54 AM   #29
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have no idea on times lost, alero, i didnt do one for my ud pulley, thats odd. and yes most often you will have to do the security learn but you do that one yourself because if you need to do it the car wont start and there will be no way to get it to the dealership to have it done. so yeah, its worth it.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:54 AM   #30
Menace
@Kutztown University PA

Menace is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Menace
I was going to get one but I dont think its worth it if I need to switch my gas to premium and its an everyday driver

2007 Scion tC in driveway!!

Stuff for sale

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13919
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #31
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
With all my mods, I did manage to go 4 tenth faster, but I started a different launch too.

With the same launch as before, .25 seconds, on a modded out motor

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #32
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
that's really sad, for what it's supposed to do. You would think on a modded out motor, the DHP would give mad gains. I could understand on a stocker with factory exhaust.

Oh well, that's why I got the PowrTuner instead, that way I can push it a little further and more in depth.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #33
xonelith

The DHP pcm is not for a modded motor. You will probably notice a loss in power if you use this on mods (other than CAI & exhaust).

If you have headers or anything more than that, you much better off buying the DHP PowerTuner, or in my case the HPTuners software (100 times better IMO). Or your final option, is to get someone to custom tune your car.

With the minimal increase in timing on this PCM, I doubt you will ever see much of a quarter mile increase. What you will notice is the firmer shifts (at least that's what I've been told).

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #34
alerocar01
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackJack+Apr 1 2006, 11:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackJack @ Apr 1 2006, 11:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SweetNLow@Apr 1 2006, 09:20 PM
yes they send u the new one and then u send in your old one. pcm is located under the passenger side dash..... kinda behind the glovebox.

one thing to consider is u will need to run premium fuel if u get the dhp..... so factor that into your decision

Damn....you must have a weird one.....my '03 it's located under the drivers side dash left of the steering column.

and about that security relearn....I'm happy as hell that the PowrTuner lets me set the timer for security relearn down to 1 minute
[/b][/quote]
were did you buy your powrTuner from. i think that is the way i want to go. that way all i will have to do is plug the tuner in and not have to take out the old pcm. plus i'm guess you didn't have to have the crank positioning reprogrammed.

DO WORK
Old 04-06-2006, 08:36 PM   #35
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Donkey Punch Performance, of course. and keep in mind, the powrtuner is just an adapter. You need your laptop or home computer to reach the car and do the programming.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:01 PM   #36
alerored04
GLS member

alerocar you do realize that the powertuner is like $400. You will also need to know what you are doing and what you want from the car to run it, im pretty sure its not a plug and play deal like a new pcm is. and i forgot, if you are putting in a new pcm dhp recommends a 180* thermostat but it isnt that tought to do, not sure if its necessary. for your purposes the pcm will be a much better, cheaper, and easier option.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:06 AM   #37
alerocar01
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alerored04@Apr 6 2006, 10:01 PM
alerocar you do realize that the powertuner is like $400. You will also need to know what you are doing and what you want from the car to run it, im pretty sure its not a plug and play deal like a new pcm is. and i forgot, if you are putting in a new pcm dhp recommends a 180* thermostat but it isnt that tought to do, not sure if its necessary. for your purposes the pcm will be a much better, cheaper, and easier option.
my next question was going to be about how to use the powertuner. i don't know anything about using a laptop to program a car so i guess that is out. so after reading this i plan to get a new thermostat along with the PCM.

DO WORK
Old 04-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #38
alerored04
GLS member

that is probably your best bet, the thermostat isnt tough to do either, im pretty sure there is a how to on here, otherwise go pick up a haynes manual, the walkthrough is pretty good.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:30 AM   #39
xonelith

I would definitely recommend hptuner (www.hptuners.com). You should go to the website and download the help file. You'll then see what you would be getting yourself into (it's 100 bucks more than DHP Powertuner, but well worth it)
Old 04-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #40
BRalero01

skip all that. venom 400 superchip. $308 for 25% more hp. that chip along with my CAI could put my alero around 245hp by the end of the summer.