Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
crankycowboy
GX Member

crankycowboy is on a distinguished road
Car Won't stay running after engine swap

Hey guys. I have had an interesting journey with this. If you want the history...see here: http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35829

In summary, my daughter blew her head gasket (2003 3.4 alero). The heads were warped too bad so I opted to pull a 1999 engine from a junk yard and throw it in there using several of the 2003 components. That engine had a slightly blown head gasket as well. I changed that out, had the heads surface ground etc. and I got two of the push rods swapped and bent a valve. Pulled it all apart again, had the valve work done, new gaskets, and now finally it runs smooth, no overheating...everything is back to normal....ALMOST.

I let the car idle in the driveway for about 20 min to let it get to temp etc before driving it. I then drove it through the neighborhood and everything seems fine. Only problem I'm having is the car won't idle. If I completely remove my foot from the gas it may sputtter a little, and then die. I have verified that the IAC is moving in and out when the ignition is started. I made sure the throttle body is nice and clean and there is no buildup in the IAC. Some people have suggested that since the car sat for so long without a battery (and that I changed several components), that the car needs to be driven more so that the computer can re-learn all the parameters. Does this sound feasible or does it sound like something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am SICK of this project. Thanks!

Last edited by crankycowboy : 05-20-2012 at 09:25 AM.
crankycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote