Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 04-04-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
darksun280

Store/Site purchased: Jbodyperformance.com
Cost/Shipping: A grip $529 for the cams and a 75 dollar core charge. Oh well
Service: I'm split on this one cause on the one hand theres a guy there named mev who i think was really helpful and answered any questions i needed but then there was this other guy who never seemed to help full at this almost like he didn't care at all. All so Expect up tp a two month wait if they have no cores in stock because a lot of people are getting the new cams and keeping there stock ones.
Initial product impressions, quality: Looked good to me the cams were smooth and clean
Instructions, good, bad, none, etc: Hell no i couldn't do this my self
Installation notes, easy, hard, PITA: N/A
If not self installed, cost of installation: Alright Expect to get your wallets ass handed to its self on this one if your ganna pay somene to do it. I had to get a new timing chain and tentioners done anyway and I would advise you get new liffters to if your motor is up the in mileage like mine was so heres the coust break down for me.

Cams and core charge : $604 (OH Hell we got a problem cause I forgot about the refuned core charge and i just checked my bank statments and i haven't got it back yet Im about to call them up and i'll get back to you all on this matter. OK so

Cams and core charge : $604
New Celvite lifters: $275 from Nappa no tax best price you'll find trust me
New water pump: $50 from nappa
NEW timing chain kit: $400 with new timing chain, Gears, tentioners, and cam carrier guides and gaskets. Do not buy this from gm like i did if your ganna change this stuff you can find it all a lot cheaper but on short notice this was my only choice.
New valve cover gaskets : $40 nappa
So my total in parts was: $1369
My Labor total was $525
And the grand total is: $1894

Performance, appearance opinions: Amazing (I Hope) and I only say i hope because the butt dyno and a real dyno never seem to match up so to put my mind at ease im going to the dyno this weekend to get you guys some numbers im a little nevous cause no one wants to spend 2 grand and lose horse power I must say though the car pullls so hard from a roll its crazy my car hops on the cam at around 4000 rpms and just screams. Now I no that the autos get to redline at 6500 rpms and i think the mauals only get to go to 5500 if thats the case these cams might not work out well since you wont be able to stay in there power band. The only trade off thats ive found is that my low end is gone here now and for ever. The combination of the 56mm TB and the cams I can't even get my tires to break lose anymore off the line which aint a bad thing but the car doesnt start to wake up till 3500 rpms and up.

Any other thoughts about the product: Now be fore warned these cams make your car lope kinda hard kinda like a mini v8 and we doent have motor mounts for our cars i think so im really worried about my header since i have no flex pipe but oh well. Also the longer i let my car sit and idle the lopier it gets till the car throws a knock sensor code. But don't worry you have to let the car sit for a while for this to happen for me like 15 to 20 mins. Well thats it guys I really hope This helps And i know the price seems on the exspenive side but I still fell like its money well spent (Unless the dyno tells me differnt :P . Over all though I couldn't be happierr. see ya
Old 04-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
tenny

2.2 engine I take it?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
more than likely a 2.4
Old 04-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
darksun280

yeah its a 2.4 sorry should have put that. also just found out the manuals go to the 6500 rpm redline too so i was wrong about that also.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:26 AM   #5
darksun280

Well I G-teched my car last night and the results were preety good IMO. My time with just the intake back last summer was a 16.283 at 83.1 MPH and my new time was a 15.554
at 89.1 mph with a 60 foot of 2.33. all runs were taken at the same place and i had my shift plus on the highedt setting. with out the shift plus on i couln't run better then a 15.7 at 88.3. I know that some people dont' think the G-tec is a reliable source but thats all i have to work with.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
flalero

Wow, almost $1900 for only a little more than a half second in the 1/4? That seem a little steep.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
it is a little steep. by about maybe $200-$400

but comes with working on an Olds.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
darksun280

yeah i know its sounds bad but as i said on the j-body forum my timing chain jumped track because the tensioner and guides broke plus my water pump went so i was ganna have to put money into it any way so i said why not just do cams since there ganna be inthere already and the mechanic told me they would only charge 80 to do the cams and water pump since they were ganna be inthere already for the other stuff
Old 04-09-2005, 02:37 PM   #9
darksun280

oh yeah i have dyno sheets with my set up if any one cares to see it theres a thread on it at the j-body web site if you want the link. or i can scan them here. what wever works
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...96658&t=296658