Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 08-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
OK, I was driving home from the track on Sunday and it started. I'd hit the gas getting on the highway and the car would take off, but then start to fall off and the motor would rev upto 6000 RPM's (never hit the "tach out" point) and then it would catch the gear but only drop to 4500 RPM's and do it again.

Now the shift from gear to gear is nice and smooth. No hard hitting shifting, no loud clunk into the next gear, and reverse works fine.

Only to start the car the next morning and it would idle at 2500 RPM's and would idle high at all stops (red light, etc) for about 10 mintues, then it would drop back to a normal RPM range and just drive and run normal

Talked to my mech about it, and he said that it sounds like the same problems I was having with a different PCM I was running.

He doubts it's the tranny, so do I even before I talked to him. He said it could be a loose wire on the hardness for the PCM or that the PCM isn't conected to all the pins. He said to unhook the battery for 10 mintues and make sure the PCM is fully conencted.

Did that, that was Monday, was fine all week until 815 this morning on the way home from work.

I ordered a new PCM from PFYC and still waiting on it, but any thoughts?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:57 AM   #2
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
i know that when my car was idling irradically, a bottle of stp injector cleaner fixed that right up.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
bigd6983

i know there is some kind of ground wire on the tranny that people w ere having trouble with coming lose and it was causing irradic behavior, it does sound like its electric somewhere.........
Old 08-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
alero440
GLS member

alero440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero440 Send a message via MSN to alero440 Send a message via Yahoo to alero440
Mine was doing something like that. I'd be driving along and it was rev high, then go normal, then rev high, etc. I thought it was the trans, but it wasn't. It was the EGR valve. $60 and about 30minutes of work and it was idling and running great again.

RIP OMGGMPOWAH 04/09/04-10/29/07

2003 Mazda 6s- redfire metallic- loaded and ready for fun!

"This bitch is drunk!" -me about myself at Killbear Prov. Park '07

alero440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
when my trans went out it was doing the same thing.

it was caused from me racing at the track, holding the brake at the line while revving to 2500rpm and letting the brake go at amber.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
xonelith

I'm having similar issues with mine. I increased the line pressures and seems to be better. Also, shifted like a** after disconnecting the battery. A few hard launches and WOT shifts stiffened it up.

As mentioned above, check the EGR for a leak since what I mentioned above didn't affect my idle (cam did that LOL).

bigd... what wire are you referring to? I've never heard of that but would like to check it out. That would be a nice easy fix if that was an issue.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by bigd6983@Aug 26 2005, 08:08 AM
i know there is some kind of ground wire on the tranny that people w ere having trouble with coming lose and it was causing irradic behavior, it does sound like its electric somewhere.........

OK first I will try the ground wire, where is it? in the hardness plug on the tranny? I go try the fuel cleaner after that, then the EGR vavle. Hopefully it's not the tranny like Forumla said

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-26-2005, 05:38 PM   #8
MikeSS
V.I.P. Member

MikeSS is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know, I am no expert on this topic, but I think both Xonelith and Redog's cars are making far too much power for their poor little tranny's to hold and the inevitable is happening.

Oh well, there is no better excuse out there to swap to manual!
1996 Camaro Y87 - Gone
2003 Alero 2.2L GX 5-Spd - 15.21 @ 88.21 - Gone
MikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
bigd6983

redog's car is nowhere making enough power to blow the tranny........if anything it would just be an age thing.......xonelith is closer to pushing the limits but i think hes still within tolerances.........redog im not sure of where this cable is, i remember a post from a while back pertaining to this...........said the cable was loose, problems were intermittent........i cant find my haynes but theres gotta be something in there.....
Old 08-27-2005, 12:50 AM   #10
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
i could see how the EGR would be an issue at idle.

a new one wouldnt hurt, they clog easy

i say at the leats get your transmission checked out, at oh say AAMCO or Mr. transmission.

i know my tranny is having some problems right now and i talked to a guy down at AAMCO and he said "bring it in and i will solve any of your problems"

so they probably could help. even though i havent gotten aroudn to goin to AAMCO yet, cause i work so late at work : /
Old 08-27-2005, 10:14 AM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

OK after I woke up Friday afternoon (workin 3rd this week) I help Ms Redog get stuff out of her car and walking past my car, I got sick!!

A huge puddle right under the tranny. I touched the puddle and it was black.

When to work and gave it a lot of thought. Thinking it was just the gasket on the pan leaking, then why was it black. poop, did I burn it up? Are my clutches fried? Damn thinking new tranny and wondering if a 4t65 swap is hard.

Looked up a ton of info at work (shhh, slow night) t65 and t45 gears are almost the same and the M15 version is used in the Venture and Impala police car. OK PCM, looking, looking, looking and finally find what I thought, I a lot of programing.

OK so that's out

I get home pull out the ramps, and dirve the car up and turn it off. Very little leak, but starting to find out that this is mostly water !! So I start the car and after a few mintues it starts leaking again. OK so maybe it's not the tranny. I have a clear liquidComming from somewhere and a coating of this clear liquid and grease on my tranny pan, and rear engine frame and a little bit on the body.

The idle is getting rougher as well. No SES light. Is this a possible EGR problem? Stuck open and too much vapor leaking from somewhere. The film of this liquid is all over the right side of the tranny and I thought I saw a drop or two comming from the exhaust piping.

If it is an EGR, how hard of a fix is it? I'll probably go to my mech's shop just because he has the tools and a lift to make sure nothing underneath is leaking bad, plus he's got connections to get the part quick.

ANy thoughts? Could I just open the valve and clean out the carbon? I'm still going to replace it, but track day is now cancled for tomorrow

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #12
FormulaNERD
GLS member

you can swap the egr yourself, it's pretty simple.... when my tranny took a crap i pulled the egr and cleaned it... but that didnt do anything for me.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:27 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

OK I was all ready to pull the EGR out, but I didn't. I drove it down to the shop today.

I don't have a lift in front of my house, plus the mech has a ton more tools. He's actually let me use one of his bays a few times, but I gotta work tomorrow 8 to 4 (day shift) If I was on 3rd or Flex 1st shift (8 to 4 tues~sat) I'd do it myself, but I don't have the time.

O well, I'll just have to do a new belt and alt pulley in October (vacation)

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #14
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Redog@Aug 27 2005, 08:14 AM
Damn thinking new tranny and wondering if a 4t65 swap is hard.

Looked up a ton of info at work (shhh, slow night) t65 and t45 gears are almost the same and the M15 version is used in the Venture and Impala police car. OK PCM, looking, looking, looking and finally find what I thought, I a lot of programing.

OK so that's out

extensively researching this for awhile the programming would probably be a fairly easy part of this swap, if you know what you are doing and have access to some sort of custom metal fabrication the swap could be had in a weekend....
Old 08-28-2005, 11:37 PM   #15
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
yeah i can see how the programming wouldnt be a problem, but the only factor is probably money. cause it always seems like everyone thinks (especially me) "hmm while this is out, i should......"

but Ken, you can go to advance or autopzone and get a new oen for under 60$ and take it to your mech, and just say "hey can you put this new one on for me" and it should be cake for him. all it is, is 2 bolts, a hose (hard part) and the electronic plug-in.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:39 AM   #16
xonelith

Milzy Motorsports is working on a 4T65 conversion for the 3400. Hopefully this will work out. New mod for the winter

www.MilzyMotorsports.com
Old 08-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #17
FormulaNERD
GLS member

hey ken, you could also just talk to milzy about doing an EGR delete....

and fyi, you dont need a lift or anything for egr... it's two simple bolts like kyle said.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:25 PM   #18
gutlesschimp

all i read was the first post so if i didnt catch nething forgive me......my sister has a 95 mustang gt...same thing happened to her...what happened is the air valve got stuck...prob no help but o well thought id say sumthing...