Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 11-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
bratch15
GL Member

bratch15 is on a distinguished road
Tune PCM

I didn't know what section to post this thread because it is an odd question that doesn't really fall into any categories but I have a 3.4L and it has to do with performance. Is there anyone in PA or bordering states that has a PCM tuner that would like to make a little cash tuning my PCM? I will drive to your place or wherever you would want. I would rather have someone that is knowledgeable on here and pay them 50 or 100 bucks to tune it than send it away and spend $250 plus shipping and not have a vehicle.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2538269
bratch15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
its not worth doing, until you've done more performance mods.... unless you want to keep having it redone. But the "performance" you gain will be negligible until then.

..and i don't know of any east coasters who have HPTuner.....
Old 11-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Speed Industry (the shop that's assembling my spare engine) extracted 65 WTQ and 32 WHP on an otherwise stock vehicle by tuning. Tell me that's "not worth doing."

You NEED a wideband air/fuel gauge and sensor in order to tune properly. Get one first, and then invest in HPTuners for tuning. Local performance shops can dyno tune your vehicle, but you'll need a program for them to do it, and a wideband. The "sniffer" wideband they put at the end of the tailpipe is USELESS!

Get HPTuners, tune it, then you can, yourself, alter it as you go along.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
bratch15
GL Member

bratch15 is on a distinguished road
I'm not going to get it done until I get the headers and exhaust installed. I'm not retarded. Didn't know you need the sensor, thanks! HPTuners are expensive! And after I get the headers and exhaust installed, I'm not going to put anymore money into it especially with the cars value decreasing rapidly and I still owe almost $9,000 and put on 40,000 miles a year.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2538269
bratch15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Well yeah, how else do you get the commanded air/fuel ratio to match what it actually is? You need a wideband O2 sensor in order to read what's actually happening, and then you get the percent error from what the PCM declares the AFR should be. You then multiply that percent error to the Volumetric Efficiency tables.

And then there's spark advance/retard and so many other things.

Jeez, you owe $9,000? I bought my car flat out for $2250 cash.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
Justin081
V.I.P. Member

Justin081 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Justin081
i read somewhere that you can just have a bung welded on for a wideband O2 then when you go have it dyno tuned they can put their wideband O2 sensor in it for the dyno then when they are done take it out and put a bolt in the bung to plug it. is that true? if so i think that would be a nice cheaper way.

Justin081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

ehh that would work... i'd rather have a wideband all the time
Old 11-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Justin081
V.I.P. Member

Justin081 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Justin081
ya i would rather have one too but don't feel like spending 200-300 on one. so this would be a cheaper solution and could use the money that wasn't spent on a wideband on performance parts.

Justin081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
http://www.wot-tech.com/shop/

Have fun

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Speed Industry (the shop that's assembling my spare engine) extracted 65 WTQ and 32 WHP on an otherwise stock vehicle by tuning. Tell me that's "not worth doing."

ok, Speed Industry extracted 32 WHP from "an otherwise stock vehicle by tuning" or they extracted 32 WHP from a stock Alero?

I'd like to meet the individual that can get that much from a completely stock Alero by just tuning.

I will say this much though, I've seen some people that are really good at tuning, and there are some vehicles out there that have more HP potential than they are tuned for factory (detuned if you will). The Alero is not one of them. It takes at least a couple of of mods such as higher flow exhaust and CAI at a minimum to even think about taking any noticeable advantage of tuning.

On the other hand, a Nissan Skyline GTR was factory rated at 276hp, and after just a tuning mod (chip or PCM upgrade) it was capable of pushing in the 400hp range. THAT is a case where the performance capabilities of the vehicle are already there (factory built for racing) but detuned because of government regulations.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

Tony at SI is a genius when it comes to tuning, that's just one of the many great results... I forgot what car this was on, not an Alero; I know you can typically make 15-20whp on an otherwise stock vehicle, generally.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #12
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
So i got to get a wide band huh...man...l really dont want to go back into that pillar pod >_<