Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Geronimoo
GX Member

Geronimoo is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down fob missing, car shuts down

Hello,
I seem to recall there's a difference between american aleros and the ones for the european markets. In any case I have always had to use the fob to make the engine stay on, so unless I press the unlock button the engine dies after a few seconds. Long story short, I lost my first fob, the second fob is broke (really broke, checked) and the car is stranded. I bought two used fobs.

My questions;
The passlock cutting of the yellow wire thing does not apply here I assume as it seems to be a solution for ignition cylinder problems?

Is there any other way I can start the car (cutting wires, no problem!) or reprogram those new fobs?

I checked into putting the car into learning mode by using a gem on the OBD port but the pins 4 and 8 didn't have any cables running to them.

I tried the turning ignition on/off whilst holding the unlock button etc, did not do a thing.
Tried waiting 15 mins with the key in the ON position, nothing there either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I don't have to tow it, it costs a nut and a half here.

Last edited by Geronimoo : 08-19-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Geronimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
The fob should not make a difference with your theft deterrent system unless something aftermarket was added on. The Alero only came with PassLock system, or for some export models starting in 2001 the PassKey III system.

Does your key say "PK3" on it like this?

2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Geronimoo
GX Member

No, the key does not look like that. My key has no markings at all except the oldsmobile logo.

I've had this car since its birth -99 so I am sure how the fob and theft deterrent works over here in europe.. Also, my mother has an Alero from the same year (same color too!), only difference is that hers has the chevrolet mark on the front whilst mine has the oldsmobile one.
Both work the same way; unless you start the engine within about two minutes from pressing the unlock button, the engine will die after running for two seconds and you have to press the unlock button again to make the car start for real.

Another question: I've heard stories that you shouldn't tow automatic transmission equipped cars, can you tow it or should I call a tow truck if it comes to that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alerokeys.jpg (28.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 08-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
If it isnt far or somewhere you need to go fast, you should be fine with it in neutral...your best option for the car is to get it on a trailer or have a tow truck especially if it is far or on a road with a minimum limit
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Geronimoo
GX Member

Its exactly 12.8km (~8 miles), is that too far?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
As long as you go nice and slow you should be ok, that is the upper limit of what i would do with a tow rope
Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Geronimoo
GX Member

I was thinking that if i crank the car every minute or so while towing (it runs for two seconds after all) it might get the transmission oil pump a chance to put a couple of drops of oil into the gearbox maybe?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
03glgold
GLS member

In neutral the tranny isnt engaged or locked...consider people who pull cars behind rvs with a tow bar
Old 08-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Cliff8928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimoo View Post
No, the key does not look like that. My key has no markings at all except the oldsmobile logo.

I've had this car since its birth -99 so I am sure how the fob and theft deterrent works over here in europe.. Also, my mother has an Alero from the same year (same color too!), only difference is that hers has the chevrolet mark on the front whilst mine has the oldsmobile one.
Both work the same way; unless you start the engine within about two minutes from pressing the unlock button, the engine will die after running for two seconds and you have to press the unlock button again to make the car start for real.

If that is factory equipped, it is not mentioned in the service manual (I'm looking under Chevrolet Alero Export). It's possible it's added in from the dealer due to some requirement or insurance discount?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Geronimoo
GX Member

Don't think so. Both cars were sold in different dealerships, I even suspect my moms car is from germany or something because of its different hood ornament.

In any case, I solved the problem by ordering a Hong Kong tech 2 diag tool that came with DHL in 2-3 days. I reprogrammed the new fobs with some instructions I found elsewhere on this forum. I figured it would be as cheap as towing it and having the eye-gouging guys at the shop doing it.
I also found out why my moms cars ABS light is shining hehe (front right wheel speed sensor faulty)

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Cliff8928

Hopefully that Tech2 lasts for you. I was a bit leery of them. Mine came from a closed dealership.