Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > At The Track

Old 05-01-2004, 11:56 PM   #1
maat

Just wondering how the racing vets around here launch their 3400 automatics?
Old 05-02-2004, 03:13 AM   #2
Voodosoup

Left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas.

Rev to about 1100-1200 rpms and feather the throttle to the floor when you get the light(along with releasing the brakes). You can just mash it ot the floor too, but you'll probably have more wheelspin.
At the track I actually found it hard not to just mash the gas. I guess it jsut takes repetition.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
^I agree with everything except that you always should mash it. Wheelspin can be because of:

1) worn front tires
2) slick track surface
3) pre-launch RPM's being too high

Also, hit it on the 3rd amber.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:58 PM   #4
alerosport.com

3rd amber huh

cool
Old 05-03-2004, 07:41 AM   #5
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

^Yeah. If you wait until you see the green light, your reaction times will be pretty crappy. By hitting it on the 3rd amber, by the time your body reacts to your brain and then the car reacts to your feet, the light should be starting to go green as you break the starting timer beam. As you get a better feel for your car (and yourself) you'll figure out where within that 3rd amber you need to hit it to have your best RT.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:00 AM   #6
Silverknight

not that it really matters since this is a thread for auto launches, but I'm gonna say it anyways....

To launch the 5 Speed, I rev to about 2300 RPM and on third Amber drop the clutch. If you have crap tires u will spin. In this case u should regulate how much gas u're giving the car to compensate. If you have good tires you will most likely spin for a slip second and then hook.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I found that it's best for me to rev it up to about 2500 RPMs but start in 2nd. I tried 1st but I was always spinning off the line.

Turn off you traction control, if you do spin up the wheels, TCS will hurt your time more.

Be calm. I was in a bracket race yesterday and lost to a 18.90 civic because I jumpped the light. I had a -.047 r/t. I jumpped on the 2nd amber. The worst part was that the civic ran a 18.88. If I didn't jump the light, the breakout he had would have won it for me issed:

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:25 PM   #8
maat

I've heard one technique with a turbocharged manual is to mash the gas the whole way and slip the clutch if the tires are spinning. But that's to keep the boost up.. is the idea practical with a naturally aspirated engine?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:51 PM   #9
Final-Reality

maat, those people are probably running aftermarket clutches... if you hate your factory clutch go ahead and do that but it won't be pleased about you slipping it that much... but yes that's the most effective way for ANY manual transmission to be launched, clutch slipping/feathering

It keeps the engine RPMs up in its peak power band, but still helps control wheelspin/axle hop or whatever other launch problem you may be having..
Old 05-20-2004, 02:22 PM   #10
Sobear FC3S

Yeah, the funny thing is.. I learned this after I had my decent standard. I had a Nissan Stanza with the torquey little KA24 engine in it, and it was moderatly quick, compared to a lot of compacts out there. My launch sucked, but when I was driving an early or mid-80's Tercel, I learned to feather the clutch. It's funny watching a little POS like that spin it's tires. lol.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:52 PM   #11
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
i usually launch around 2200 rpms (3.4, auto) and my kumho's hold on for dear life, i've tried launching at lower rpms, but my e/t goes down.

oh, and i burnout before, if you dont burnout i wouldnt launch that high, unless you have some really good tires.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 12:08 AM   #12
mfuller

I just ease into it right off idle.....I don't slam on the gas or brake-torque it; if I do I just sit there burning expensive rubber.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:47 AM   #13
Sportalero

I think i take the same approach you do, m. I give myself a couple of inches from the line. Then, by the middle of the second amber, i take my foot off the brake and let the idle inch it up. As the amber goes off, I lightly depress the gas to get that initial torque "kita". And by the time the light is green, i'm already hammered down and the little forward motion I have keeps my wheels from spinning. Not sure if i explained it right. I've never been to the track. I just drive the same streets day in and day out, that i've "timed" the lights. It's just fun when Hondas pull up next to me at the light, and by the time they "attack the light", i'm already gone. Yeah, i know, "Save it for the track, ya loser" <_<
Old 06-05-2004, 08:32 AM   #14
alero168
I Love Tiara!

alero168 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero168
^^ save it for the track loser... hehe j/k...

i dont know waht it is maybe it's my engine but sometimes on level roads and definitely on roads with an uphill incline if i let off the brake my car will not move, it';s like i drive a manual or if it does move it moves very very very very slowly not like a normal car would do at idle. and this happened before the car got all the heavy poop put on too like rims and system. so i pretty much can "launch" pretty quick if i had to b/c no need to brake.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:13 AM   #15
Orion

My launch is same as everyone else, After you r staged. Left foot on the brake, and right foot around 1500 RPMs. But make sure ur tire pressure is low, cause i was running like 17's and did'nt realize my tire pressure was at 40!!! SO i lowered it to 20 and ran a 15.3. I was spilling all the way down the track when i was running low 17's. If u lower ur tire pressure u can launch with alittle bit higher RPMs then usually. Anyhow at the last amber i slip off the break and smash it to the floor. I get a pretty good leap off of most guys and keep with them till 2nd then my car sucks in second!
Old 06-07-2004, 06:45 AM   #16
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Quote:
Originally posted by Sportalero@Jun 5 2004, 01:47 AM
I think i take the same approach you do, m. I give myself a couple of inches from the line. Then, by the middle of the second amber, i take my foot off the brake and let the idle inch it up. As the amber goes off, I lightly depress the gas to get that initial torque "kita". And by the time the light is green, i'm already hammered down and the little forward motion I have keeps my wheels from spinning. Not sure if i explained it right. I've never been to the track. I just drive the same streets day in and day out, that i've "timed" the lights. It's just fun when Hondas pull up next to me at the light, and by the time they "attack the light", i'm already gone. Yeah, i know, "Save it for the track, ya loser" <_<
Sport,

If you try that at the track you'll end up rolling red through the starting beam more often than not. If you are increasing the rpm pre-launch you definitely will want your foot on the brake because a red light means an instant loss, whereas on the street you might be able to get away with it if the "opponent" doesn't notice.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:03 AM   #17
Sportalero

Crap, I just need to find a strip and bust my "track cherry". Thanx for the heads-up, Daytona. This and the info you and Redog posted in Formula's other post is stuff i've wondered about for some time. When i can afford more than "Sears" tires <_< , i'ma try to get out there hopefully before the summer ends.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:37 AM   #18
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

^No problem. Anytime you need help just ask. I've been racing since the Fall of 1986 and I also used to work for Raceway Park and NHRA doing Control Room operations & special events, so I have quite a bit of experience I can pass on about all things dragracing. :thumbsup:
Old 08-11-2004, 11:52 PM   #19
theirishgonzo

yeah i have a turbo car to drive a twin turbo stealth and if you just rev it and drop the clutch you will bog the turbos you have to slop the clutch