Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #21
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Why does the throttle body have cooling lines going to it?

So the throttle plate doesn't ice up in extreme cold temperatures.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #22
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
OK, not how do I get the UIM nut off that's near the alternator? There seems to be a power steering line that's in the way. I can fit a 13mm closed end wrench on it, but I can't move it. Would a ratcheting wrench work here?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #23
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
OK, finally got the UIM off. Will most likely not put that stupid nut that gave me problems back in that same spot and replace it later with a regular bolt that I'll get next time I'm at a junkyard. That's the second thing where the car does not exactly match the factory service manual. I assume that as long as I have the UIM out, I should clean it really good (not that it's particularly dirty, but I always do that). How do I clean out the insides of it?

Also, I assume that this car as double platinum spark plugs that I won't have to replace anytime soon? Seems to me that you can't do anything behind the engine without removing the alternator and coil pack, at the very least.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #24
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
to do the plugs, you don't need to remove the alt.. but moving the coil packs does help.

i'd take them out while your there, and inspect them. If you do have one or two bad ones, you'll kick yourself for NOT doing them now.

You are following this, right?
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showt...ght=lim+gasket
Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #25
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post

To an extent, yes. But just like the factory service manual, it's sometimes wrong, or not applicable since I will be using the special tool to remove the push rods.

Another thing I'm going to have to research is the LIM torque specifications and order. I see multiple postas about the correct torque specifications, but nowhere have a seen an actual diagram about what the correct order is (I know the difference between the vertical and diaginal ones, but within those groups, there is still an order. That and exactly where to (and not to) apply the RTV.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #26
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
use the new torque specs... the 4 on the sides get torqued down more, then the centers.

I'd message whitev6 or nate for the proper order.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #27
zzyzzx
GLS member

How much coolant is going to come out when I remove the thermostat housing from the LIM? Is there a good way to catch it?

Now that I've inspected it with the UIM off, I can see that the LIM is exrernally leaking all over the place on the sides where there is the RTV only part. Those diagonal LIM bolts are in some dirty areas!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #28
zzyzzx
GLS member

What's the white crap on the 6 UIM bolts?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #29
cherrington17
Gone

thread lock. so seal the bolts in the holes.

also, your suppose to drain the coolant in like... the first step. After doing that, i had 0 coolant coming out of the thermo housing.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #30
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
thread lock. so seal the bolts in the holes.

So put blue threadlicker on the UIM bolts?

Quote:
also, your suppose to drain the coolant in like... the first step. After doing that, i had 0 coolant coming out of the thermo housing.

Yes, I drained the radiator, but not the engine block plugs. Just looking at the hoses, I would think there would still be some coolant left in the LIM and probably in the thermostat housing as well.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #31
zzyzzx
GLS member

Another website with a bunch of in progress pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125871974XzTxrQ
Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #32
cherrington17
Gone

you need new UIM bolts. (as per....everyone) i'm not sure if threadlocking the old ones will suffice.

and i didn't drain the engine bolts either. If you drained using the plug in the radiator, that is below the thermo housing. there shouldn't be any above that.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #33
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
you need new UIM bolts. (as per....everyone) i'm not sure if threadlocking the old ones will suffice.

The new bolts are for the LIM, not the UIM. In so far as the LIM bolts, plenty of people have reused them and applied new threadlock, but I figure that's for more experienced people than myself.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #34
cherrington17
Gone

UIM gets new bolts too. should be in the kit.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #35
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
If you drained using the plug in the radiator, that is below the thermo housing. there shouldn't be any above that.

Hose between the thermostat housing and radiator goes up (as in up going towards the radiator), so I don't see how it could drain out.

And reason why the LIM has '99' on it? Do they really very from year to year?
Old 04-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #36
zzyzzx
GLS member

Just found another website with a bunch fo good pics, along with their theory of why these gaskets fail:

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/90

Those leaking coolant pics are exactly what I see.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #37
zzyzzx
GLS member

Another good How-To with lots of pictures (althgh no Alero):

http://www.handymanlyness.com/archiv..._99_Jimmy.html
Old 04-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #38
zzyzzx
GLS member

I found the bolt sequence in the Factory Service manual. You don't do it like an oil pan or anything, you work from the inside out. It also mentions nothing about using new bolts. It says to put on threadlocker! I should probably get then and type them in here, but at least it does to do the vertical ones first. Nothing about doing it in steps like the new procedure.

Factory service manual says:
An oil leak may result if the vertical bolts are not tightened before the diagonal bolts.

1. Tighten the vertical lower intake manifold bolts (1) to 13N·m(115 lb in).
2. Tighten the diagonal lower intake manifold bolts (2) to 13N·m(115 lb in).

From what I've been able to gather over the internet, the revised method is:

1. Tighten the vertical lower intake manifold bolts (1) to 7N·m (62 lb in).
2. Tighten the diagonal lower intake manifold bolts (2) to 7N·m(62 lb in).
3. Tighten the vertical lower intake manifold bolts (1) to 13N·m(115 lb in).
4. Tighten the diagonal lower intake manifold bolts (2) to 25N·m(18 lb ft) or (216 lb in).

I'm providing the conversion to lb in on #4 so you maybe don't have to bring an extra torque wrench.

I've also read something about a 30degree thing, but I'm not completely sure where that comes from and don't see it often.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 04-22-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #39
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
Don't mess with the rocker arm till you have the lower intake manifold off. Then use the tool to lift the rocker arm up and pull the push rods out. Make sure you don't mix up the push rods. I would put 12 holes in a box and lable the box front and rear. That way the push rods go back in the same place they came from.

Is it even possible to mess them up if you are using the tool? I mean is there even enough extra slack to put a longer one into where a shorter one goes if you are not removing the rocker arms?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #40
cherrington17
Gone

yes, absolutely do the "revised" torque specs. The old ones lead to it leaking again.