Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-20-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Hey all, Pretty soon here, I'm going to start running the wires for an amp I will be putting in here in the next couple months, but I don't know where to run them. So my question is, what's the best and easiest route and does anyone have any pics that I can see.... My last wireing job on my old corolla ended up messing up my dash lights. haha I think I poked a wire and shorted it.... lol don't want to make that mistake again...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

violentrapture is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to violentrapture
As far as power wire - just run it through the grommet in the firewall, down under the driver side sills or through the center console - ground you can attach to any grounded screw near your amp(s), or sand/drill a hole for a ground nearby - or just do two runs from battery.

~vR
Old 06-20-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
FartCannonAlero

yeah and getting the wire from under the hood to your amp could be a pain as well..i still cant find that little rubber thingy that goes under the dash =/
Old 06-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
acold7dusta

pull the carpet back, ull see it (its clear)
Old 06-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
FartCannonAlero

ill look, but under the hood dont you have to pull off a few things?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
yeah see I tried looking under the hood and couldn't figure it out... but thanks for the help guys..
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
FartCannonAlero

if anyone has a pic of their wires running through that would be helpful..
Old 06-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #8
joberg02

joberg02 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is my very first post on this site so I thought I would make it worth while

I ran my power cable up through a grommet that was located behind the black cover under the dash on the drivers side. You will see 2 wires ran through there. One is my blue power cable for my amp and the other is for my underbody kit switch. (Don't mind the Cathode in the pics)

These are a couple of pics of where it came out of the firewall into the engine bay. The wire is located between the strut housing and the fuse box.

Good Luck!
joberg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
FartCannonAlero

good god that looks cramped..it looks alot clearer now, i think i can manage saving 80 bucks and wiring it myself now...thanks!
Old 06-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #10
joberg02

joberg02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, just dont take a drill bit to it and end up drilling through the wireing harness down there. I did that and messed up my electronics going into my tranny. Ended up paying $150 to get it fixed. Live and learn....
joberg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:44 AM   #11
Six Shooter
GX Member

Six Shooter is on a distinguished road
I use an antenna poking it throuh the grommet from the interior to the the engine bay, tape the wire onto the end and pull back through .

Also running the RCAs under the center console is a waste of time. Just run them down the passeneger side of the car, under the carpet. Power down the driver side.

Oh and it's a myth that you have to run the remote with the power wire.
The noise that is induced from a power cable to a signal cable is when you run the signal beside a HIGH CURRENT power cable, such as the main power lead.
I ALWAYS run the remote with the signal wires (RCAs), mostly for ease, also because it makes sense, since these wires all have to run from the same point to the same point, and I try to avoid running wires accross the driver side under dash if at all possible. Most cars have a removable panel here (I know the Alero doesn't), and gets annoying if access is needed to work on any of the components in there and there is aftermarket wiring hanging in the way.
Six Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #12
firstson
GX Member

firstson is an unknown quantity at this point
I think i may be the only one that has done this. But if you can't get your wire through the grommet in the fire wall as was my problem. You can unfold 2 clothes hangers and put in through the fender. If you look at the front of the engine bay on the side you'll see the hole you can thread it through. Then when you open up your driver side door and look in the jam you'll see a piece of carpet that has a slit in it. You just bring the wire through there. I'm going to the horse races right now, but if you still need it i can get you some pictures when i get back.
firstson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:39 PM   #13
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
its dangerous to run the wire threw the fender. you risk the wire getting cut and starting a fire

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #14
firstson
GX Member

I've had it in for a couple months and no problems so far. What would cause it to get cut in the fender? No one ever told me that. My friend had the same thing in his wagon and he never had any problems either, now i'm kind of worried
Old 07-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #15
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
you run the risk of the wire getting pinched by the door when the door closes........ while the chances are slim that it could happen..... there is still the chance.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #16
firstson
GX Member

Well my wire never really comes through the door hinges. It goes through a grommet underneath the fuse box and then i run it along the trim under the doors.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #17
SweetNLow
GLS member

hey its your car man. if you wanna run wires that way its your call

Old 07-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #18
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Its very easy to poke the wire through the grommet...i took an old school clothes hanger, ya know the wire ones and stretched it out. I then just poked the one end of the hanger through the grommet, and taped the power wire to the other end of the clothes hanger. Once you continue to push the clothes hanger through you will be able to see/reach it down there to pull it up and through...its reall quite simple. Don't run through the fender...truly its not safe and I must say that I agree with brent on this one. Holy shit, I agree with Brent...we need to document this 1:28pm 27 July 2006
Old 07-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #19
firstson
GX Member

Lol...theres a first for everything. Alright, i guess i should really take that into consideration. I'm getting ready to order my new tweeters (blew the old ones). So when i start working on it i will have to consider rerunning my whole power wire , but its for safety's sake so i'll deal
Old 07-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #20
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
once you finally get it throught the grommet.. you'll feel like an idiot for never finding it before. it took me like an hour the first time to find it, now its no problem.

(kinda like taking apart the center console for the first time. all you keep thinking is WTF!? now, i can dismantle the front of my dash in less then 3 mintues..)