Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 01-03-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
Oldsmopimp

Im still shopping for exaust, but Im pretty set on the SLP. Those of you that have it....how does it sound? I know thats hard to answer/explain(i also know some site has sound clips, but my comp speaks dont work)
All Im really looking for is a kinda low growl, nothing to loud at all while crusin thru town at 35mph. (Im not lookin to get pulled over!!) But when u step on it and the RPMs shoot up, I deff. wanna be able to hear it.

How is the performance factor? Do you guys notice a diffrence with tourqe??

Basically, I just dont want my Alero to sound like a race car(cause it aint) but I want to bring out that cool soundin gurgle that the 3400 V-6 churns out. And of course, better performance. (I should also say that I will be running this exaust with stock headers and cat.) So help me out, and tell me how you guys like your SLP system...and if you can explain the sound...give it a shot. Thanx!
Old 01-03-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
Voodosoup

It's initially loud and raspy, but it mellows out nicely after it gets broken in.
At Idle it's not that loud just a nice low rumble. If it's in the driveway and I'm inside the house the low end rumble really leaks into the house pretty bad. Under normal driving at around 35-40 mph when the car drops into OD it's not too loud. It's loud at highway speeds and yes you will be noticed when you tromp on it.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:28 PM   #3
Oldz Alero

I have had mine installed a little over a month now and it sounds great. It did quiet down some. As Voodoo said you can definately feel a difference performance wise. It seems to really get up the rpm's quicker. Right now I am running just the slp with no headers or cai. You will have to cut your bumper out but me and my dad managed that with just a coping saw and then sand paper to smooth it out.

I would definately recommend getting one.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #4
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
I have it and absolutely love it.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 10:54 AM   #5
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
Ive got the one for the GA, dunno if they mke one for the alero or not, never looked

Mine seems to get quieter on the inside when I really push it, dunno what it sounds like outside when pushed
Old 01-05-2004, 10:55 AM   #6
loudalero

I have it and loved it until I took the cat off and replaced with muffler and now it is just too loud
Old 01-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
leroBob
GLS member

leroBob is an unknown quantity at this point
How did the rest of u go about cutting ur bumper for the other pipe? (probably a good how too?
leroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:29 PM   #8
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
They didnt cut my bumper, they just have them both level, still looks good tho
Old 01-05-2004, 08:12 PM   #9
Oldsmopimp

Thanx for the input guys!! I think Im DEFF goin with the SLP.

As far as cuttin the bumper...Im deff. gonna do that. If you really get down there and look at the bumper, it is basically already "marked out" for another cut out. All I plan to do is take a few measurements, mark the biaatch...and ruff cut as close as i can with a hacksaw or equvelint...then finish with sandpaper. My dad is a bodyman, and we have a shop at my house, so I will prolly repaint the bumper anyway to cover up all the scratches from....Backing into a big flower pot, backing into my x-girlfriends Mazda 323, and gettin rear-ended by two cell-fone gabbin ladies.(at diffrent times, thankfully) ..........God-bless plastic bumpers!
Old 01-07-2004, 08:32 PM   #10
Oldsmopimp

Im also wondring about the install.....for those of you that installed it yourself(Im sure somebody did it)...How well did everything match and line up? Hangers..clamps...Cat...?? Any problems or modifications? Im assuming a sleeve has to be fabricated to fit the stock cat.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:01 PM   #11
loudalero

Well the hardest part was gettting the pipe that goes above the rear suspension trying to get it through the location but other than that its an easy install. The slp will fit up to the flange thats after the cat so no worries there.