Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-15-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
bluephoAm

I'm using Duck Tape to hold my driver-side window up. <sarcasm> That's an additional 50 horsepower right there.... </sarcasm> Anyway.... I'm buying a whole new regulator off of eBay (might as well since I use that window a whole lot to get into a parking garage at work) and I'll do the install myself. I had to take the whole door apart anyway to be able to pull the window back up and in this process I learned what was under all of that plastic. Thankfully the window didn't break. Now my question: What kind of epoxy should I use to put in the black slot clip grooves that touch the glass?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #2
bluephoAm

I was lucky enough to have the "permanently glued" black clips break off of the glass without anything breaking.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
SlickSketcher
GX Member

SlickSketcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SlickSketcher Send a message via MSN to SlickSketcher
I had the same problem with my driver side regulator. It happened twice. I emailed GM and then the next day the director of sales called me on my cell phone and told me that they just put the clips into production. You can now buy just the clips at any GM parts dealer. It runs about $13 or so. A lot cheaper than a regulator.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
bluephoAm

I noticed the window motor moving it kinda slow before it broke so I just went ahead and bought a brand new one ($70 altogether on eBay) and I installed it myself. I mean, why not make something good out of something bad by learning how it works. After that, I can now figure out how to install new speakers and some Grand Am mirrors.

Everything is installed and it works very well. I even put some lubricant on the guide bars. I used some kind of glue from Autozone that the guy recommended to set those two black clips back on the window. That sure was hell to align with that confined space, mosquitoes, and the setting sun. It seemed like the black clips were melted onto the window or something.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Mine broke and I just had the dealer replace it for free under warranty.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:05 AM   #6
Bergs22

My passenger side window did the same thing the other day and when I took the doorpanel off to lift the window back up I found a piece of white plastic in the door. My guess is its part of the clips you guys are talking about. I couldnt tell forsure where it came from. Was wondering if I could get some insight on this from some of you guys who have fixed this problem yourself. And also how hard it is to put new clips in and where exactly they go. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:35 PM   #7
af_anthony

I just bought a 99gls the other day for 3000, the only problems with it are the dash vinal, cracked windshield, and obviously the drivers side window. After some research, i have found, that yes, the regulator is shot. lol. how much money are we talking about here in the long run, i mean i am only 19 years old and don't have much to throw around, was this a bad buy.......?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
alero440
GLS member

alero440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero440 Send a message via MSN to alero440 Send a message via Yahoo to alero440
Just replaced the window regulator on mine last week. I found plastic pieces in the bottom of my door too. Those clip things that are on the bottom of the glass for me were like $5a peice or something, my cost. I was told I would have to have one replaced so I bought it, but it wouldn't come off to save my life. Took a little RTV and went around it. Hopefully it doesn't break!!!

RIP OMGGMPOWAH 04/09/04-10/29/07

2003 Mazda 6s- redfire metallic- loaded and ready for fun!

"This bitch is drunk!" -me about myself at Killbear Prov. Park '07

alero440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
bluephoAm

Dude you can get a whole new regulator on eBay and install it yourself for about $70 (shipping included)... or take it to a shop and be charged about $400. The only thing is it doesn't come with the black clips that hold onto the glass. Supposedly the black clips on the glass are either melted onto it or glued to it with "strong" epoxy.

I found the parts of the white clip in the bottom of the door. They were basically in fragments no bigger than a couple centimeters.. that's how brittle they were. The motor is still good on the one I replaced so I'll go ahead and sell that once I get some new white clips from a junkyard. Might as well get some of my money back on eBay.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #10
alero440
GLS member

alero440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero440 Send a message via MSN to alero440 Send a message via Yahoo to alero440
Those clips are cheap, and they are glued on there, very well. Good luck, I couldn't get mine off.

RIP OMGGMPOWAH 04/09/04-10/29/07

2003 Mazda 6s- redfire metallic- loaded and ready for fun!

"This bitch is drunk!" -me about myself at Killbear Prov. Park '07

alero440 is offline   Reply With Quote