Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
gabemiranda
GX Member

gabemiranda is on a distinguished road
need help ASAP please car wont start

Hey everyone kinda stressed out. mechanic says I need to replace my engine which i really cant afford. I have a 2001 alero coupe. Ok a week before my car wouldn't start, then i tried again a few times and it finally started. It happened again the next day and this time my friend gave me the idea to put my foot on the gas while trying to start it and when i did i revved up hard and started. The next morning when i try to start it and put the foot on the gas it just kind of stutters and tries to start but wont. keep trying with the gas pedal but it still wouldn't start. I figured it might be a fuel pump issue but the mechanic says it isn't. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I'm sorry I forgot to write down what exactly the mechanic said, something about a timing something, or a chain something... ill write it down when i talk to him tomorrow but i have to get to work and school so im really stressed about finding rides. really just want to know if anyone ha a similar problem and if i should take it somewhere else.
gabemiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

04PONTIACGA is on a distinguished road
If you have a broken timing belt, odds are you bent some valves as it is an interference engine. If that is the case cheapest way would be a J/Y motor. It wouldn't be worth it to do a tear down on what is probably a pretty high mileage motor. Hopefully this isn't your case, this is just worst case scenario, but from the small amount of info you provided it seems to be accurate. Report back with mechanics findings and more info, when you can a will be glad to help the best I can.
04PONTIACGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
When the car started did it run fine? If it ran fine the timing is fine. What motor do you have?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

He has the 2.4.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
gabemiranda
GX Member

yea manwhore after i put my foot on the gas it started and ran fine. I started it while giving it gas for 3 days and each day it ran like normal. but yea i do believe my mechanic said it had a broken timing belt. it just seems fishy because it drove fine after i did the gas and start.. and yea its the 2.4
Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
gabemiranda
GX Member

ok so the thing is wouldn't i have noticed the timing belt break i mean i would have felt it or something. theres no way i would be able to be driving around with it broken right? what cause my car to need to be gassed to start and then ultimately end up not being able to start even while gassing it?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Could be bad fuel pump or a clogged filter. Try this. Put key in and turn to on position to let it prime for a while then try to start.

If belt was broke the car wouldnt even start. I call bs on this mechanic he sounds like an idiot. Describle what you hear when you turn the key.

Also your car is fuel injected the pressing the gas while starting does nothing. And if it does anything its washing out your cylinders and yiur cold revving which is terrible
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

Actually if you hold the pedal to the floor it cuts off the fuel, so you don't flood it. Not sure if this is what he's talking about, but I agree the mechanic sounds like he doesn't know what he's do. I was just mearly posting worst case scenario.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
it also not very good on the car to rev on start up.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #10
gabemiranda
GX Member

i know but is the only way my car would start
Old 12-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Well sir, I'm pretty sure the 2.4L uses a timing CHAIN not BELT... if it started once after having this problem then I highly doubt the chain snapped... if the chain snapped and you tried starting the engine you would hear a lot of violent metal on metal contact.. Mechanic sounds like he's trying to screw you..

Is there any way you can take a video of what you're experiencing?? Does the engine turn over when you try starting it? Do you hear any irregular noises?

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
gabemiranda
GX Member

the car sounds normal and cranks when i turn the ignition it just doesn't start
Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #13
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
If you suspect the fuel system then you should get a fuel system pressure test, but before you do that, check the fuel pump fuse/relay to make sure they're functioning. Also, is your check engine light on at all?

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #14
gabemiranda
GX Member

nope no check engine light. i could hear the pump turn on so i dont think its that
Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
jawa