Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
What does a reset do?

well, my car's transmission has been doing crazy things and i decided today to disconnect the battery like people have suggested before just for the heck of it and wasn't expecting a change. well, it did change the way my car's shifting but I'm not sure if its for the better. Now, instead of dumping itself into gears and slipping, its being really sluggish when shifting and has no throttle response. I want to know if this is normal or what and how exactly the reset process works and what the car "relearns" exactly. What is the timeframe that it is learning in?

my dad said that the PCM's are on a set program and that disconnecting the battery does nothing but reset codes. I am doubtful because there is for-sure a change in the way my car's running.

please help and insert any info about this topic!

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
give it a little while to relearn your driving. Most cars now a days you can do this too. I know the relearn on my 04 Elantra was like 20 to 30 minutes.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
lol relearn on my moms 08' civic was like 6 days
Old 07-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
it depends on how you drive the car really.. when my car reset (i absolutely hate the slow shifting..) I drove the piss out of it to make it learn my drive style fast lol.. and it seemed to work-

One thing I notice on the alero (someone go out and try this, after you read this if you have the time) Take your car for a spin- and feel how it goes from 1st to 2nd gear..

Now put it in 2nd gear (from a stand still) and start off normally, and let it shift to 2nd gear.. does it seem to be alot stiffer shift? Mine does this and its the best and hardest shift I can get out of it.. if you're feelin like givin' it the beans, go hop on the highway while in 2nd gear, WOT through first, let it shift to 2nd while still WOT.. and see how it shifts.. mine shifts fast and hard like this (dont forget to put it in either 3rd or D after letting off the throttle..)

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote