Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Newlin
GX Member

Newlin is on a distinguished road
Updating my Sound System (On a budget)

So I've just recently acquired my Alero and the guy who had it previously took the liberty of installing an aftermarket sound system. It is alright but he had three 12" subs in the back which literally took up all the trunk space and made getting to the spare impossible. I've since taken those out and have been running on the stock speakers which sound inadequate and thin.

First, here is what I have to work with. I have a power cable running from the battery to the trunk along the drivers side and the power on/off (blue cable) as well as the RCA cables running along the passengers side.

As for the equipment that was inherited with the car I have this head unit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zFY8OVd...H-P7700MP.html

I have 3 12" MTX subs 4 ohms 200W (I can't find the model number but here's a picture):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecany4dzxl...2008.33.47.jpg

And I have this amp to work with as well:
http://www.qualitycaraudio.com/store....asp?sku=LA768

I'd like to avoid using the subs just because I like all the trunk space and purchasing a pair of smaller enclosures makes this all more costly. With that said, here is what I would like to do, let me know what you guys think.

Head Unit: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-XDMA6415-...I3N17A5FDQ7N71

I mainly want this for the AUX in, USB port, and the Bluetooth for playing music and taking calls. My current unit supplies no method for inputting my own music outside of a CD.

If I go the route of no subs I'd like to get a set of Infinity Reference speakers to replace the current ones (or something of similar quality) and perhaps keep the amp to provide them more power? (I'm still pretty green on audio)

If I end up keeping a pair of the subs I have now I'd probably end up getting a pair of these enclosures for the back:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_1

I've also noticed that I only get a couple of radio stations in clearly and my thought is that when the head unit was installed the antenna amplifier was not powered, it could be something else though.

In the end I'm leaning more towards just upgrading the stock speakers, so if you have any additional suggestions there that'd be great.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
dual ftl
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Newlin
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
dual ftl

Translate please for the inept
Old 08-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Personally I will never buy any speaker other then an alpine ever again. type r if your planning on amping them, type s if not. if your getting Infinitys do not get the reference, you have to get kappas if you want them to last at all.
the headunit, splerg a bit and get something better then dual please.
the subs, putting 3 in an alero just might rattle the trunk off
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Newlin
GX Member

Okay, I'll look at more quality head units and will look at the alpine. I'm not sure if the amp I have now could prove sufficient power but if it does I would like to get the type r.

Any ideas if my amp I have can handle four speakers?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
DRM Racing
GX Member

DRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond repute
as far as a deck goes and is still cost efective go with Pioneer. the decks are a good bang for the buck and have all the features you are looking for. as far as speakers go the Infinity reference mids are nice and cost effective. You can amplify them or run them off the deck cause they are not power hungry. The Infinity kappa line is an excellent lineup but need an amp to sound good. I have all Infinity Kappa and Kappa Perfect mids and highs in my alero and grand am and wouldnt trade them out for anything. To save yourself some money just pick up a sub box for 1 or 2 subs and just use the mtx subs you already have. But if your looking for a sub with more crisper, cleaner sound the go with Infinity's Reference 12. Here is the model number. REF1262W. This is a damn good sub and really cost effective. A good Pioneer deck to go with that will give you everything your looking for is DEH6400BT. Again good deck and you should be able to pick it up for around 150ish or less on ebay or amazon. To replace your font door speakers without any modding to fit a component set then get the Infinity 4x6 plate. Model number REF4652CFP and the 6x9's model number is REF9633CF. you should be able to replace all your speakers for roughly 150ish. Thats for all four. So for roughly 300.00 you should be able to get a nice setup and not break your pocket.You can find everything listed here on ebay or amazon for really cheap. I found the 4x6 plates for like 40.00
DRM Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Newlin
GX Member

I really like that Pioneer deck, plus I can grab it for about 110 on amazon.

As for the speakers I think I'm going to stick to upgrading the 4 stock ones and I'll sell the subs/amp/box to help fund it a bit. I still like the Infinity References since they have such good reviews and I can grab all four for about 130.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

for amping the cabing speakers I was using a 720 watt 4 channel kenwood performance series. the combo of it with the r's in the cabin was amazing. I could turn that baby up all the way with no distortion on any songs and hear it like it was right next to you a block away.
I might also add i upgraded the front speakers to 6 1/2 components. its worth while to get some mounting plates and fit them in there. 4X6's cant produce near as good a sound.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
number53alero
GX Member

number53alero is on a distinguished road
Look up the Pioneer DEHp9400BH it's there 2012 cd deck, has full bluetooth control, built in HD radio, full Bluetooth streaming, and 2 USB ports. It's the best bluetooth deck and easy to use! I just purchased it for $180 with shipping from 3kingsaudio on Ebay, it was free shipping and I received it in 2 days!
2004 Final 500 Alero #53
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/718701
1990 Cutlass Ciera Lowrider
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212170
2002 Aurora 4.0L V8
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3045018
number53alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
Newlin
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
for amping the cabing speakers I was using a 720 watt 4 channel kenwood performance series. the combo of it with the r's in the cabin was amazing. I could turn that baby up all the way with no distortion on any songs and hear it like it was right next to you a block away.
I might also add i upgraded the front speakers to 6 1/2 components. its worth while to get some mounting plates and fit them in there. 4X6's cant produce near as good a sound.

What would it take to mod in the 6 1/2 s?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

a 2" mounting plate that you will have to cut at an angle yourself then shave the door panels a bit for good measure.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Not to take this thread off topic, or to sound like a troll (trust me I'm not, if you don't believe me you can look me up on the GAownersclub) but I have 2 brand new, in the box Audiobahn 10 inch subs. They are the murdered out series and they have a slim profile so you can build a small box to put them in so you can have trunk space. I had them put in a medium sized box and I had a lot of trunk space. Honestly, these subs are marketed to the truck scene since they don't have much space in the back of the front seat. I think it would be perfect for your needs. Anyways, they're dual voice coil so you can wire them up parallel or series. They're 300 watts RMS, 620 peak. I would recommend them because I had a lot of fun with my set.

You can PM me if you're interested.

Also, I wouldn't get that dual head. Honesty, $100 goes a long way for a deck. You could easily get a JVC or a Sony with the same features. IN fact, an entry level Alpine goes for $100 at best buy. You could go Pioneer as well, but I'm not a big fan of the new Pioneer heads, but they do offer a lot of options for your sound settings. I can't deny that. I'm a JVC/Kenwood and Alpine fan at heart though. Always stick by those since they've never done me wrong.

From what it seems on this thread, you have the speakers already settled. I would personally recommend the WCC speakers by Orion, but if your heart is set on Infinity, then I shall let that be.
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #13
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
In the past i have helped manny freinds that end up with systems that dont do what they want based on a h/u that isnt up to par.. that being said you dont need to spend big money to get one that will do what you want.
Unless you want to run componants, or have to complete with high spl (lots of bass) i would steer you away from amping your speakers w a 4channel esp if you aren't verry experanced and want to install yourself.
Being an Alpine fan i have had doz of their h/u`s amps and speakers/subs over the years and am still a fan, so personally that would be my choice for you in this case. Pick a H/u with high power output, some of the alpine decks even requite a standalone amp type power connection due to the rms power that they make.. This power makes for good clean sound out of coaxial`s.
For the front 6.5`s are a bit of a fitting but not super difficult for a newb. i have had Lots of luck with the S series alpines in 6.5 or even 5.25`s which are easyer to fit..
allso infinity, jbl, or JL`s allso sound great.
as for the rear i believe currently i have JL 6x9`s.
take the extra time to run the wires that usually come with your new speakers from the deck(unless this has already been done) and bypass the stock harness.
For most ppl that aren't into making your licence plate shake this sounds great, and if you want more... its easy to add a single 10 or 12 that will take less then 1/5th of your trunk space. and has been my exp that even with 2 12`s or even 2 15`s my front stage was able to keep up... but anyway. Just mho.

Oh and if you yank your deck there's a good chance that who ever installed it may have not spent the 4-15 bucks for the gm antenna adapter.. could b why you aren't getting radio..

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Newlin
GX Member

Which alpine HU would you recommend then in the 100-200 dollar category for powering the four speakers?

I haven't decided yet on the speakers, I have been looking at the alpine s series as well and I figured I can deal with fitting in a 6.5 in the door for the added sound.

Is the gm antenna adapter something I can find pretty easy online?

I think I'd like to grab the head unit first so I only have to wire the antenna and everything at once unless you guys recommend differently.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Lower end Hu, however seems to have the features you wanted.
http://www.crutchfield.ca/Alpine_CDE...500cde133b.htm

second choice..http://www.crutchfield.ca/Alpine_CDE...500hd138bt.htm

The second option can be upgraded to 45wrmsx4 with an optional upgrade... keep in mind if you visit your local retailers frequently you can get good deals on end of model year. and ob units that still carry a full warrenty.. if your into saving cash... the upgrade module is
http://www.crutchfield.ca/Alpine_KTP...500ktp445u.htm
ment to be a compact aux amp this would allow you to keep your trunk/glovebox spaces clear and still upgrade if you desire to do so.

Antenna adapter is http://www.crutchfield.ca/GM_Antenna.../12040gm21.htm
and any bestbuy or even mom and pop install shop should have this for under 20 bucks.

alltho a forum search about antennae issues says you may want to check where it coneects to the rear window grid (because our antennae are intergral w/ the rear window) as there can be a heating up or failure in this area.. maybe someone else can shed some more light here... i was never a huge user of fm.. sat radio is Teh sheit

edit... yes do it all at the same time.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
Newlin
GX Member

I'm sifting through a bunch of head units right now and some advertise HD radio and I wanted to know your guys' opinion on whether I should spring for one with that option or not.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Personally, with my ipod hook up I never listen to the radio. i dont even have it hooked up.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
Newlin
GX Member

I like the radio just for a mix of songs that I don't readily have on my phone.

If HD radio is something that I am after the Alpine CDE-HD137BT looks good for about 190, if that's not the case then I can grab the Alpine CDE133BT for about 145.

As for the speakers I think I've finally decided on these for the back:
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPS-619...I2DUUESGY5VFM9

And either the first one (or the second if I want separate tweeters) for the back:
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPS-610...hu-rd_add_1_dp
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPS-610...ref=pd_sim_e_1

In addition to the antenna adapter will a need a wiring harness like this one as well?
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1858-..._bxgy_e_text_y

Thanks everyone for your help so far.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

The rear speakers that you have listed. no. strait alpines kinda suck. you want type s speaker. for the front ones, get the components.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #20
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Yeah i wouldnt bother with componants in the rear... if your gunna spend the money for them they should be in the front and you should mount them with some attention to either buying kick pannels or glassing them in...

As for the deck harness yes you need either that or the relocation harness if you wish to retain rap(retained acc power) the relocation harness is a pain.. i know there are some others out there that will mimic the relocation of thestock h/u without doing so... HOWEVER

you stated that you have an aftermarket single Din HU installed allready? if this is so someone has taken the time to both Remove/relocate the stock hu, and fit the aftermarket deck mounting kit that you need to fit a single din unit into a din and a half hole...
Because this has been done you should be able to cut the harness on the deck side of the joins and follow the wire color code to wire in your new alpine... usually these harness are the same...you can check this usually by a diagram that most manufactures place on the deck via a sticker. if that fails check online.. but 97percent of the time nowadays they should be the same...

Oh and dont forget to swap the cages (the part that mounts the deck to the mounting kit) as these are hu manufacuter specific.

Oh and Btw this http://www.bcae1.com/ helps if your in a bind...

Last edited by BLK03GXS : 08-27-2012 at 03:53 AM.