Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
will176
GX Member

will176 is on a distinguished road
Hurst Shifter

just out of curiosity, are there any hurst shifters that are compatible with a 3400 alero? if so what models work? i've heard/ seen some of you guys with them and i was wondering if there was any custom fab work needed to make them compatible/ what advantages would i get from installing one? any info here would be great thanks

2001 gls 3400 sfi
will176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
I am the only Alero with a Hurst Auto Shifter. Look at this alero of the month photo. It was a camaro shifter custom fabbed by myself to fit and work in our cars. Then bdyman did the custom plastic console piece.

Advantage........be different, have a gated shifter, be able to say you have an actual hurst shifter.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
correct if you do it send me the cover and i will do for you what i did for scot
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
ok... for those of us who don't know...

what the difference between a gate shifter, and what we currently have (stock)??
Old 05-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
swap in a 5 speed with the 3400 and you can use a hurst shifter like this.....

Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
i know a dual gate shifter allows you to use 1 2 3 without the fear of dropping the car in neutral, so, making the automatic, sort of, a standard

that is what the right coloum is on the shifter, the 3 2 1 section, and the left section is the PRND321, the regular section
Old 05-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
uh... it can't already do that? going from D-3-2-1 you don't hit N.

i totally confused now.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
uh... it can't already do that?
but its not a hurst dual gate. Actually i am interested at the exact purpose too. the only advantage i could see is when shifting to lower gears imo, which is likely wrong
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
uh... it can't already do that? going from D-3-2-1 you don't hit N.

i totally confused now.

no, going from 1 to 2 to 3 really fast, without the fear of dropping in neutral

called an autostick
Old 05-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
the dual/gate is known as the his/her shifter. and by gated means the following.

on one side it is like a normal shifter. but rather than push a button down to move it out of gear you have to move it sideways and down to go threw the pattern. when you get to netural you can then move it to the right and go down the his side or racing side. on that side you can shift each gear without over shifting. meaning your in 1st gear and you hit the shifter as hard and fast as you can you only go to 2nd gear and then hit it again and oonly move to 3rd and then hit it again and you only go to 4th gear. Now if you take your stock shifter and put it all the way down into 1st gear and then hit shifter forward to the next gear as fast and hard as you can you will end up into neutral.

now as you ask the purpose of the gated well it is same pircinples as a rachet shifter being able to manually shift an auto without over shifting. 1 gear at a time. this is designed for racing. does it really help, no but it is just cool as hell to do.

another explaination......
The Hurst Dual/Gate shifter, also known as the "His and Hers" shifter, was standard equipment for the Hurst/Olds performance package. The proven Hurst automatic shifter was mounted in an Oldsmobile sports console. Dual shift patterns provide the ultimate in street/strip control. It's strictly automatic on the left side and as precise as a fully sychronized manual control on the right. Hurst's positive latching mechanism and Neutral lock-out takes the guess work out of gear changing, going up or down. There's no possibility of missing a gear. No chance of overshifting into Neutral and maybe blowing an engine. It means you've got a real choice. You can be as shiftless or as energetic as you like. You can rely on that brain beneath the floorboards or you can trust your own reflexes. The lady of your life can drive automatically, while you remain boss of the block with the manual control.

Last edited by Oldsman : 05-03-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Oldsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
Oldsman
Owner

here is a vid of the 73 H/O and it kind explains the dual/gate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uj5g1CAI1o
Old 05-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
ok i watched teh video and now my big ? is , is it anything like or similar to the sport shift automatic used in some hondas, such as the prelude, the setups have changed but im thinking of the one that had prnd123 on on side in a line, then branching from the n was a second "route" of 12345 or somthing
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #13
Oldsman
Owner

where did you think honda got the idea..............Hurst Performance
Old 05-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

so its the same concept?
Old 05-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
Oldsman
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroRacing View Post
so its the same concept?

if honda got the idea from Hurst then wouldn't it be the same concept?? if it was based on the same idea? Now if they work the same i am not sure because i never saw the honda shifter.

the autostick in hyundia, chryslers, and other new cars is based on the same idea. And actually Hurst had the autostick name first.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #16
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

Sry that's kinda what I meant, doesany one know how the honda one works! I only saw them when I was shopping a new used car out and came across aleros
Old 05-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #17
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Mazda's have them. They are called Manumatic or some stupid shit like that.

I'd rather have the third pedal instead of a wanna be manual.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #18
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
if honda got the idea from Hurst then wouldn't it be the same concept?? if it was based on the same idea? Now if they work the same i am not sure because i never saw the honda shifter.

the autostick in hyundia, chryslers, and other new cars is based on the same idea. And actually Hurst had the autostick name first.

so.. what your saying is.... its the same thing???

i'll have to check out the video at home, or wait till ass and get a ride along. (i'm not test driving your baby... no way... not even asking)
Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #19
knuckleballer32
GX Member

knuckleballer32 is on a distinguished road
alot of the newer cars simply have another notch for the shifter in which the shifter goes forward for up shift and back for downshift. (sometimes the other way around)
knuckleballer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
will176
GX Member

will176 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
I am the only Alero with a Hurst Auto Shifter. Look at this alero of the month photo. It was a camaro shifter custom fabbed by myself to fit and work in our cars. Then bdyman did the custom plastic console piece.

Advantage........be different, have a gated shifter, be able to say you have an actual hurst shifter.

what exacally did you need to do to make it compatible?

2001 gls 3400 sfi
will176 is offline   Reply With Quote