Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-04-2004, 04:53 PM   #1
jeneliz91

I own a 2000 Olds Alero, bought in 2002 with 30,000 miles on it. Now it has about 80,000 miles. (I drive an hour to and from work every day.) In the past few months, it seems I have had all kinds of problems.

First of all, my low trac light keeps coming on when I pull into and back out of parking spaces. It does this every time without fail. Also, sometimes (maybe 3 times a week) after the low trac light comes on, the 'trac off' 'service engine' and 'abs' lights will come on all at once. I have read on some forums that this may be something to do with the wheel hub(?) or something like that. If so, does anyone know around how much this will cost to fix?

I wouldn't be so worried about the price because i did buy an extended warranty when i purchased the car. HOWEVER, the warranty company went bankrupt and now I am without a warranty and still have to pay for it. Go figure, right?

Also, (and I'm very sure this is a common problem) the security light will come on when I am driving and will even stop me from starting my car. (You have to sit with the key in for 10 minutes until the damn light stops flashing) I have done enough research to know that this is probably something to do with the passlock system malfunctioning. One dealer told me that maybe all I need to do is get a new key from the factory. Any ideas on this one either?

Sorry for such a long post, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I think that it's probably a dangerous thing for the low trac light to be malfunctioning when winter is fast approaching!!! Thanks!

-jeneliz91
Old 11-04-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
99BLKALERO

I believe the low trac problem is your wheel hub, alot of Alero owners have that problem. When mine came on (the dealership said it was an O2 sensor) they fixed it and I never saw the light again. I have no idea what the two have in common. I am not sure about the security thing, but you seem to have done your research pretty well!!!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 04:58 PM   #3
jeneliz91

I didnt think the O2 sensor had anything to do with the low trac light, i thought it just made your 'svs' light come on.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
i had this problem, and i found out one of the little plugs that plugs into that area next to your rotor was unplugged, so i plugged it right back in, and all the warning lights went away and its been fine since.