Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 12-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy fiberglass fix?

well I was in a hurry on my way to work earlier today and ran up on the parking stop curb thing... well... the body kit doesnt quite agree with it. on the passenger side it is cracked from the bottom of the bumper to the bottom of the vent, its not super bad but I want to get it fixed asap, preferably myself to save cash. Im thinking I'll mount a metal brace behind it to hold everything together good then use a fiberglass filler of some sort. 1 what should I use to hold my brace in place? appoxy? or would there be a better way? 2 what kind of filler should I use? I know it has to be some kind of special stuff to bond with the fiberglass so that just hitting a bump going down the road it wont pop open again. I'll try and get a pic up asap sometime tomorrow.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
well trying to sit here and type 20yrs of knowledge out in a small box on how to fix fiberglass wont help ya, i will tell ya that the material i use will cost ya close to 150 bucks

paint will cost you close to 1000 and not to mention the labor and to make it fit right and make brackets to mount the kit the proper way

ya want a estiamte ill put my shops addy here come on by for a estiamte
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
duct tape
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
lol ignore that shit, bdyman is a effing ridiculous perfectionist that will only use the most expensive shit in the world, thinking this is a $100,000+ exotic show car..

most body shops can fix that in under 300

my front bumper was like ripped apart in the middle from a crash and a performance shop here repaired and reinforced it for $360. paint color and finish was perfectly fine. in fact when i had my 2nd crash, the part they repaired was intact haha and the rest of the bumper was destroyed.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
well trying to sit here and type 20yrs of knowledge out in a small box on how to fix fiberglass wont help ya, i will tell ya that the material i use will cost ya close to 150 bucks

paint will cost you close to 1000 and not to mention the labor and to make it fit right and make brackets to mount the kit the proper way

ya want a estiamte ill put my shops addy here come on by for a estiamte
a local shop (does amazing work) wants to charge my $1000, a friend who works at a car shop and has his own shop for body work on the side is going to charge me $350 if I cant do do it myself, I have the time so i might as well give it a shot. I can use the color matched paint at autozone, (used it when i did rust spots, I see no problem with it) and a fiberglass filler (please someone, I need to know what kind to use) and do myself for cheap as shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam337 View Post
duct tape
um... not quite
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
lol ignore that shit, bdyman is a effing ridiculous perfectionist that will only use the most expensive shit in the world, thinking this is a $100,000+ exotic show car..

most body shops can fix that in under 300

my front bumper was like ripped apart in the middle from a crash and a performance shop here repaired and reinforced it for $360. paint color and finish was perfectly fine. in fact when i had my 2nd crash, the part they repaired was intact haha and the rest of the bumper was destroyed.
im sorry but that hilarious! good thing you know those guys do good work now though. in that one vid you had I couldnt tell it had even been damaged.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:

That is true! bdyman you need to understand that some people cant afford top notch body work....now unless your gonna cut people a deal then dont expect much business on the side....cause people dont have 3-4-5k to drop on PAINT.....they can drop that into useful things like wheel bearings, suspension, engine mods, etc..... i understand you do good work but EVERYTIME someone posts something about doing their own fix you say NO TAKE IT TO ME OR YOUR LOCAL SHOP so we can rape you on the cost. no....cause people dont have the money to do that....most people on her done either....thats why their driving an Alero.... like chris said....it CAN be fixed cheaper....A LOT cheaper than what you usually quote people. Wont look as good, but most people cant even tell...and for the price you pay people dont expect show car quality work.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
I received mine from greyhound shipping and this is what I got

I brought it to my dads vocational school and the auto shop said it would cost $250 to repair and paint black (the whole kit)
$350 to repair and paint silver
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
that's great considering it cost me $400 to paint it when it wasn't broken lol
Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
wish i just had to paint and not repair
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
OK COOL!!!
and who said i was going to charge him thousands to fix it, im not going to type out all my knowledge in a small ass box, ya wnat it fixed right come to me ya want it hacked up and slapped together go for it!!!

i dont effing care what ya guys do lastly i have enough buisness to keep me buisy im trying to keep shit real, im not the guy that kitty foots around dont ya remember
Old 12-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

If you were closes I would gladly get a quote from you. I understand your want to crank out top knotch service. Thats good!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
OK COOL!!!
and who said i was going to charge him thousands to fix it
you did: materials 150, paint 1000, plus labor
Quote:
im not going to type out all my knowledge in a small ass box, ya wnat it fixed right come to me ya want it hacked up and slapped together go for it!!!
Please. Everyone who isn't you doesn't hack up and slap together shit. There's a time and place for thousands of dollars of body work, and it's not on an Alero.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Please. Everyone who isn't you doesn't hack up and slap together shit. There's a time and place for thousands of dollars of body work, and it's not on an Alero.

Well said.....
Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #14
bdyman
GLS member

Ok Cool!!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
[ion] C2
636 whp

Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #16
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
when i had a bodykit on my old black alero i had to repair my rear bumper and it came out fine. As long as you know what you are doing it will look good.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #17
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Fiberglass, sand, block, primer, rattle can off color... Fixed
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:27 AM   #18
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
just get a shop to do it. fiberglass work is very time consuming for a beginner

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote