Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
xenon_19

Hi everyone,
I have a 2002 Alero Coupe, and would like to replace the Stock stereo with an MP3 player that I had from before. The Alpine CDA9807 to be exact.
I bought the "Faceplate" that will let me install the new stereo properly ... I have the GM connectors as well. And I have done stereo replacements before.
So before I take out the Stock stereo this weekend; do you know if there is any kind of "module" in the stock stereo that the Car actually needs ... to say store different settings ? Or for example, produce the warning through the stereo speakers, if you leave your keys in the ignition (or leave headlights on) and open the door ?
I heard someone say a long time ago that I may need to buy some module from GM before going ahead with my MP3 player ... I wanted to check with someone whether this is true.
For example, if anyone had replaced an Alero stock stereo, ... is there anything special you had to buy and connect ? Or just the usual ... Power, Speakers, Control, Antaenna ... ?
Please let me know. Thank you very much.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
next time search, yes. the chimes are through your radio. thats all tho. so to keep those you either have to relocate the stock one to trunk with the relocation harness, or buy the harness with the chime module attached.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
acold7dusta

yea, and also you will have to run your own ignition wire for it to turn on, depending on the year you have
Old 05-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
xenon_19

Quote:
Originally posted by acold7dusta@May 3 2006, 04:12 PM
yea, and also you will have to run your own ignition wire for it to turn on, depending on the year you have

Ok, so I found the BHA2004T Relocation Harness at BestKits.com, which supposedly let me put the stereo in my trunk for a damage of 62 dollars. If I purchase this, do I still need to worry about running my own ignition wire for it to turn on ? My car's year is 2002.

Also, if I decide to skip the whole relocation harness, or adding a chime module; is the Chime warnings the only thing that is affected ? For example, would check engine light come on or Airbags not work ... things like that.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
just the chimes, the lights will come on and the airbags will be fine.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

_01Alero_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Im also wondering about the ignition wire. I have an 01 and plan on replacing the factory HU soon, and I plan on getting the kit with the sound module on it for the chimes, but I dont understand about the ignition wire. What do you mean it won't turn on? Do you mean that it won't turn on at all or that it won't turn on when you turn your key on? Cause if it doesnt turn on automatically when you turn your key, then I could care less, but if it won't turn on at all, then that is a big problem.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
acold7dusta

yea lights would go on fine, you just wont have the annoying dinging, which is acctually an added bonus if you asked me. unless it bothers you, just wire it up normally. if the cd play does NOT turn on, you have to run ur own ignition. i think 01-on you have todo this. (i ran it from the ignition harness about 6 inches away (pull back the tape, its one of the 2 red wires, do a voltage test tho to make sure it turns on with the key is on the 1st and 2nd position, also make sure you fuse this ignition wire with the same rating as the fuse on the back of your cd player) Also, if you listen to your radio at all you can buy an antenna adaptor, or do as i did and stuck it in there and taped it so it didnt move, but then again i havent listened to the radio yet.
hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions
Old 05-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
xenon_19

Thanks a lot for your help. I just have a few more questions ...
I am thinking of replacing the head unit this weekend. If I get the relocation harness sometime later ... and then put the stock stereo at the trunk ... do you see any problems with that ?
As soon as I disconnect the stock stereo ... it will go into the "Theftlock" mode right ... and then I have to do *something* to get it unlocked ?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #9
acold7dusta

if you have a theftlock headunit, you have to do some code of turning the ignition on and off like 5 times or something ud have to check on the internet, but on my 2002, i took it out, and connected it back up just to make sure, and it was fine, no theft lock on this one. but as far as unlocking a locked headunit, i think you have to take it in to the dealer and tell them that it was in your car and that it wasnt stolen, and ask them to unlock it for ya, but if you arent sure, id do all the steps you find, just to be sure
Old 05-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
xenon_19

Ok, thanks a lot. Hopefully the new stereo works smoothly the first time ... so even if the stock one is locked ... I don't have to worry about unlocking it for now.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #11
acold7dusta

yea since you have a 2002, i probably wouldnt be worried, cuz i think that was 99-00
Old 05-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
xenon_19

Cool ... thanks. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:37 AM   #13
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
The newer Aleros with the Class-2 radios query the BCM for the VIN upon turning the key to the "On" position for their theftlock. Basically if you put the radio in a different car with obviously a different VIN, it will say "LOCKED" on the screen.

The GXs with the base radio do NOT have their chimes through the drivers side speaker, but i don't know if they work with the radio removed either. (it's like that on a friend's car, mine has the uplevel radio)
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:48 AM   #14
Menace
@Kutztown University PA

Menace is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Menace
You dont need the chimes for 65 bucks they are worthless. Buy a wiring harness from walmart for 5 bucks.

2007 Scion tC in driveway!!

Stuff for sale

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13919
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #15
xenon_19

You mean a Wiring Harness so that I can relocate the stock stereo to the back of my car ? The relocation harness I saw in BestKits.com, BHA2004T, which is supposedly compatible with my car, is 62 dollars:

Not sure if they have these in walmart.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #16
acold7dusta

just go to best buy, go towards the back and tell them you need a 2002 alero wiring kit for an aftermarket cd player and theyll hook ya up. should be 5-10 bucks
Old 05-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #17
Mischief007
GL Member

Mischief007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mischief007
I did mine about 2 months back. I have a 2002 Alero GL2 Coupe. My harness cost me $130 CDN but I wanted to keep the chimes. With the harness that I have I don't have to relocate my stereo. My stock head unit is sitting on a shelf next to me .

Do you know if you have the Monsoon setup?? If so you will have to wire all the Blue/White (I think) wires together. This is the amp turn on wire.
Mischief007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #18
xenon_19

I was wondering, where did you buy your harness from ? Would you please be able to provide an online link where I can view the description.
I am not sure if I have the Monsoon setup. I guess i will find out after I take out the Stock stereo.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #19
Mischief007
GL Member

Mischief007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mischief007
I bought my harness from a local shop here in town so there is no link or anything. Basically it has a speaker box attached to the harness.

You can check if you have the Monsoon setup by peeling back the trunk cover on the left (Driver) side. You should see an amp with Monsoon written on it. If you don't, then no worries for you.
Mischief007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #20
xenon_19

I checked the trunk ... there is no Monsoon Amp. I am going ahead and sacrificing the Chimes for now. I will get a proper harness later and put the Stock stereo at the trunk.