Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Runaboveit
GX Member

Runaboveit is on a distinguished road
Did my Alero come with Keyless Entry?

I bought a 2001 Alero, and the person selling it only had one original olds key and a copy. No remotes.

It's a GL according to the title, 4 door, cruise, CD player, power W&L, cloth.

I also notice if I push the lock button once before I get out until it chimes and then get out and close the door, it automatically locks after I get out and the lights flash.

Was keyless and option on the GL's or 2001's?

Or does anybody know where the box i'm assuming for the keyless transmitter is located. I imagine I could just check and see if there is one, and then I'll know.

And If I do have it, how can I find out what version remote I need to purchase?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Runaboveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Malibu369258
GL Member

Malibu369258 is on a distinguished road
I wonder this sometimes on my GX, on occasion when I lock my doors before closing the doors, and I walk away, I hear it click again and the lights flash.
Malibu369258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu369258 View Post
I wonder this sometimes on my GX, on occasion when I lock my doors before closing the doors, and I walk away, I hear it click again and the lights flash.

if you only push it once, and it goes DING DING DING, that's a feature, if you push it twice, it will lock and no chirp and flash... this does not mean you had keyless
Nate's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
ya there was just go to the GM dealer ship you should be able to get one there
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Malibu369258
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
if you only push it once, and it goes DING DING DING, that's a feature, if you push it twice, it will lock and no chirp and flash... this does not mean you had keyless

Ah ok, never had a car that did something like that. So if I only press it once and close my doors, it will really lock it, with the lights flashing as an end result?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu369258 View Post
Ah ok, never had a car that did something like that. So if I only press it once and close my doors, it will really lock it, with the lights flashing as an end result?

yep...

go try it lol
Old 01-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
ya my old black alero did that.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Malibu369258
GL Member

Quote:
yep...

go try it lol

I just did, that's effin amazing lol.

I'm done crapping this thread now.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
undersc0re
GX Member

undersc0re is on a distinguished road
My 2001 Alero did not come with keyless fob. The dealer told me it was not selected as an option for mine.
undersc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Runaboveit
GX Member

So besides JLw7123 saying ya it does, can anybody else back this up on how to come to a conclusion if it does or doesnt? Anyway to find out for sure? Something located in the car anywhere? I checked with a dealer and they quoted 80 bucks for a new remote but mentioned there are different versions of the remote. And had no way to find out with my VIN. Was he just incompetent?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaboveit View Post
So besides JLw7123 saying ya it does, can anybody else back this up on how to come to a conclusion if it does or doesnt? Anyway to find out for sure? Something located in the car anywhere? I checked with a dealer and they quoted 80 bucks for a new remote but mentioned there are different versions of the remote. And had no way to find out with my VIN. Was he just incompetent?
run a VIN check, someone can pull all the RPO codes, i know it
Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
i thought mine had it too but the window sticker ( yes i still have the window sticker ) stated otherwise. the original owner had every possible option put on accept keyless entry
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #13
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
The RPO Code for the Keyless entry is AU0. Look on the underside of the spare tire cover for the service parts identification label which lists all your options.

-or-

The RKE receiver is clipped to the rear deck. It's clipped from the topside, but you definitely could tell if one was there if you knew what to look for. It's just to the left of the trunk light.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:08 AM   #14
Runaboveit
GX Member

Thank you Cliff ...

miles as of 04/23/10
Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
2004alero
GX Member

2004alero is on a distinguished road
if i were you id go to a junk yard and find a keyless entry set in any car that is gm and i think the box you need with the remotes is under pass side dash.
2004alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004alero View Post
if i were you id go to a junk yard and find a keyless entry set in any car that is gm and i think the box you need with the remotes is under pass side dash.

that black box under the passanger side dash is the BCM, and needs to be vin matched to the car.

also... i don't think it does anything with the keyfobs themselves.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
IRONDOG442
GL Member

IRONDOG442 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to IRONDOG442
or just go to http://www.compnine.com/vid.php and enter your vin
IRONDOG442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
AndyT3
GL Member

AndyT3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AndyT3 Send a message via Yahoo to AndyT3
Quote:

Wait what? Mine came with factory keyless, so if I go outside and press and hold my lock button until I get the chime, then close my door, the lights will flash and it will lock?

Is that like an early edition of passive locking system? Like when the last door closes they lock?

FQuick - updated all the time
AndyT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #19
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
the receiver (aka little black box) for the remote door locks, is located under the rear speaker deck. If you didn't have the option originally, then there is NO connection to just plug it in. I know, cause I tried it. The receiver needs three connections, power, ground, and the data bus connection. There IS a bunch of wires running right past the spot where the receiver sits, but no available plug to plug it in. If someone really wants to try and retrofit the original keyless entry into their car, I suppose I could find the box, and the keyfobs, and sell them to you. Me, I just got a remote car starter installed that got hooked up to the power doors.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 PM   #20
AndyT3
GL Member

AndyT3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AndyT3 Send a message via Yahoo to AndyT3
Alright I finally took out my owners manual and that locking feature is called delayed locking. So, with the drivers door open, you press lock once, chimes, close door, 7 seconds it beeps, lights flash, and it locks. If you press it with drivers door open, then open another door, it will lock when the last door closes. Not sure how that would be useful, but it's there, lol.

I typed that on my iPod, so heres the screenshot from the manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DelayedLocking.jpg (154.5 KB, 34 views)

FQuick - updated all the time

Last edited by AndyT3 : 02-01-2010 at 08:56 AM.
AndyT3 is offline   Reply With Quote