Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 02-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
sfi3400
GL Member

sfi3400 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sfi3400 Send a message via Yahoo to sfi3400
I hate rust

I did use the search this time and couldn't find any post. Any way i was waxing my car today and on the bottom of "BOTH" quarter panels is rust that is TRYING to poke through. ON the rear drivers side wheel well there is rust that did poke through. Is there a way i can slow down the process, before i have to buy 2 new quarter panels?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Well you can't buy quarter panels... how are you going to put them on? It's not like they bolt off and on. Fix what you have. Have new metal welded in and use a rust inhibitor.

If you take off your side skirts you're going to be in for a surprise if you think that's all the rust the car has is that small visible portion.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i'm sure under my skirts is a horrid mess. i have some rear quarter panel rust on each side. The inside of my front quarters (where the screws are for the plastic panels) a spot or two on each door is bubbling, the inner seam and front edge of my passanger door....

BUT... its been parked outside for 7 years, in WNY. I'm shocked its only those tiny spots.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
sfi3400
GL Member

i put new quarter panels on my other cars its a Bitc* but it can be done cost a big penny. great so i dont even wanna look under my side skirts

o and the lights i have are silverstar silver edition the one before gold i think???

Last edited by sfi3400 : 02-23-2010 at 06:19 PM.
sfi3400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
Dude....There is no "putting on new quarter panels". They are one with the roof. The only thing you can do is cut out the bad metal and replace it like Ion said....
Old 02-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
sfi3400
GL Member

i realize that about my car and n bodies, i replaced the qr on my ta cuz i had a hard top and i can take the roof off. but i let my dude drive it and he hit a telly pole and u can think of the ending to what happened
Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
leroBob
GLS member

leroBob is an unknown quantity at this point
that rust is only the beginning unfortuntly the coupes are notorious due to a flaw for rusting in that area. Talk off the plastic skirt it will be way worse.
leroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Sedans do it too.. same spot.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
ok stop please!

im going to end this and clear this "confusion" up right now, quater panles are replacable, no matter if its a 67 ford or a saturn that bolts right on

in the d-pillar what we do is section in the new 1/4, either a open butt, open butt with backing or a lap joint, we put back the panle bond all the seam sealer, all the e-coat the normal labor time to do a quater panle includes all the r&i work is about 40 hours

of course your bmw mercedes, and other cars have allot more spot welds use high strenght steel, volvo now uses boron steel, doing restoration work aftermarket companies only sell a half of a quater up to a body line again using lap joint or open butt joint

every quater panle is replacable!!!!

i believe the gm warranty is 100k for rust and the last one i did under warranty was a 2002 malibu i replaced the right 1/4 due to rust, now this car only had 50k and gm covered it and every older gm car has rust issues under the gas door

the n-body certain yrs dont have a drain hole at the bottom of the rocekr panle so water builds up inside the inner 1/4 inner wheel house and rust begins
.................................................. ........
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
can your problem be fixed??? absoultley!!!

does it take fabrication experience yes it does, welding, knowledge of rust protection knowledge of body work in general i should say as well

but before i go on lets see a pic of said rust then we go from there
Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
sfi3400
GL Member

ok ill get pic up tomorrow its not real bad but i can put my key in it and touch the inside wall
Old 02-24-2010, 01:38 AM   #12
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Well you can't buy quarter panels...

Sure you can. GM retail is about $500 per side for a 2-door.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #13
bdyman
GLS member

now add 40 body labor hours at 48 an hour, plus paint time at which is about 8-9 hours at 50 a hour

i would like that pic so i can help ya out
Old 07-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
GaryC
GX Member

GaryC is on a distinguished road
More rust..

Old thread but still relevant:

Here's a shot of the rust on my drivers quarter/rocker...it was worse than this picture, you can see the inner frame structure, you could push a screw driver through what you see here. I had to weld in a piece there once I cut it all out...the passenger side looks to be worse judging from all the paint bubbling. That's the car curse of living in the rust belt...

Last edited by GaryC : 07-24-2011 at 12:47 PM.
GaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I probably have quite a bit of rust under my side skirts... The bottoms of the body are just now starting to show signs of rust (bubbling up).
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
leroBob
GLS member

leroBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Before i let the 99 go both sides had to the point i had holes. Was one of the major factors i decided on a new car sad part is i had no rust any where else.
leroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #17
GaryC
GX Member

GaryC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroBob View Post
Before i let the 99 go both sides had to the point i had holes. Was one of the major factors i decided on a new car sad part is i had no rust any where else.

Same with my Alero, no rust anywhere else. A real crappy design there...
GaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #18
04inprogress
GX Member

04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute
I live in the desert in california, i dont even have surface rust on the frame rails!
Be jealous be very jealous hahaha
04inprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #19
Williamleo
GX Member

Williamleo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Williamleo
Yeah but you live in a desert...
Williamleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #20
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamleo View Post
Yeah but you live in a desert...

LOL!!

Haha, but really my dad grew up in the cali desert, its great if your a kid, him and his siblings always found a new way to get into trouble, apparently.