Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
where on earth are you living? I know its canada due to the whole source thing. but where? ive been to montreal, ottawa and left my GPS in the window and never once had an issue ( I live in NB )
robalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #22
wrestlingandrunning
GL Member

wrestlingandrunning is on a distinguished road
Get really dark window tint
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #23
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
WHOAH.

Aftermarket radio is NOT NOT NOT the cheap or easy way.

FM modulator is the absolute best way.... get this. Dont listen to that "FM modulators sound like crap" nonsense... they sound fine. I have one in my Aurora and it sounds just as good as a CD.

http://isimplesolutions.com/ipod-adapter/TranzIt.asp

Costs like 70$ or so on ebay. Then get the 2 antenna adaptors you'll need on ebay (small to big and big to small), too. Finally get a pair of RCA cable Y splitters so you can but both the Aux jack and the Ipod cable in.

Then you dont have to fsck around with a new accessory wire and losing chimes, or paying for the GMOS harness, or anything.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #24
Stickybuddz420
GX Member

Stickybuddz420 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch1 View Post
WHOAH.

Aftermarket radio is NOT NOT NOT the cheap or easy way.

FM modulator is the absolute best way.... get this. Dont listen to that "FM modulators sound like crap" nonsense... they sound fine. I have one in my Aurora and it sounds just as good as a CD.

http://isimplesolutions.com/ipod-adapter/TranzIt.asp

Costs like 70$ or so on ebay. Then get the 2 antenna adaptors you'll need on ebay (small to big and big to small), too. Finally get a pair of RCA cable Y splitters so you can but both the Aux jack and the Ipod cable in.

Then you dont have to fsck around with a new accessory wire and losing chimes, or paying for the GMOS harness, or anything.

Agreed the FM modulator doesn't sound like "crap", But 320kbs if you have the ears is gold against copper (128-220kbs), I mainly notice the clarity difference when it comes to rock/rap, as in i prefer higher kbs for rock and lower (around CD quality) for rap. I'm not completely sure why but I know that I love music and I love it loud, and if your like me, you will want an aftermarket HU. I have used all the stock HU's in the cars I've owned and even with converters and adapters there is no comparison between running stock HU with CD quality and running A $100 HU with 320kbs clarity, Sounds to me like you need to invest some into car security before you spend anything on drawing attention to it And honestly u can get the harness for $15 w/ antenna adapter. And if u really want the annoying ding chime back just put your stock HU back in, no running new wires or anything, whats easier than plug & play?

No More Cobalts - 2 12" Punch HE2's
1100W BOSS CHAOS Mono Amp
Stickybuddz420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #25
04inprogress
GX Member

04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute
Heres what I did, Best solution by far if you have the knowledge

Heres what you need:
3.5mm jack-5 conductor normally closed(left and right input-left and right output and a common ground)
some small wire- I used wire from an ethernet cable
soldering iron and solder

Take out the cd player unit-there are 2 plugs-the one you are after is the bigger one
Its been a while since ive done this but i think its the last three wires on the plug on the side with a black wire-the rest are white (an easy way to check is to touch a wire to each wire while its on and you will hear a tap in the left or right speakers and then do a continuity for ground)
cut the wires going between the deck and mainboard and run them to your 3.5mm jack- the wires to the board go to input and the wires to the cd player go to output
mount you jack wherever you want- since mine didnt have a tape deck i mounted it on the front of the stereo

In the end heres what you end up with-with a cd playing, when you plug in a cable the sound will cut off, you can then plug that into your mp3 player for a crystal clear input that sounds great

04inprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #26
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Fkin awesome ^^^^ I never knew the CD player actually outputting an analog music signal. That's great work son.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #27
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I'll go out on a limb and say this guy doesn't use a soldering iron on a regular basis. If you aren't going to buy an aftermarket radio with the aux included then your best bet is the fm modulator. That is what I got my wife to run her ipod on and she hasn't complained yet....lol!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #28
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christato71 View Post
Yeah just do what everyone else says, get an aftermarket radio with a removable faceplate. You'll be glad you did.

Problem with that is that all the aftermarket head units look like crap in this car. That and the stock units are actually pretty good. Just lack the MP3 player option.

That and I've never actually seen a CD only head unit. I'm sure that they exist, but are extremely rare. I'm speaking of the 1999-2000 model head units. I suspect that the above example is for a newer Alero (a 2004 as per their username??).

Mental note: If I ever see a 1999-2000 with the cd player only at the jy, get it. Right now I am using a MP3 player that's in the form of a cassette case that you put into the cassette part. No external wire, but it's not particularly good.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 01-24-2011 at 09:58 AM.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Update on the MP3 player in a cassette case. Now that I have been using it a lot I can say it sucks because battery life is awful. I charge it up overnight and and it's only good for my 13 mile commute into work. By the time I go home the battery is dead. I even tried replacing the battery in the MP3 player and that helped some, but not a lot. I will try a cassette adapter next, but if you search Youtube there are many videos of people doing exactly what 04inprogress did.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #30
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Update on the MP3 player in a cassette case. Now that I have been using it a lot I can say it sucks because battery life is awful. I charge it up overnight and and it's only good for my 13 mile commute into work. By the time I go home the battery is dead. I even tried replacing the battery in the MP3 player and that helped some, but not a lot. I will try a cassette adapter next, but if you search Youtube there are many videos of people doing exactly what 04inprogress did.

the amount of time that it takes for the mp3 player to die has nothing at all to do with what you are using to play it...If it is rechargable just get a universal car charger that fits the mp3 so you can have it hooked to power when you are using it...While I usually use fm transmitter in my car or aux port in my truck there is not a difference in the amount of time that my Ipods battery lasts playing music...even if you have a generic mp3 of some sort you can still charge it, my first mp3 player was powered by a AA battery and I was still able to hook it up to a car charger and have it run without needing the battery
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #31
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
.If it is rechargable just get a universal car charger that fits the mp3 so you can have it hooked to power when you are using it.

That won't work. The MP3 player goes inside the cassette player completely.

I.E. my MP3 player looks like this:

On the inside it looks like this:

The blue thing on the right is the internal battery.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #32
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
That won't work. The MP3 player goes inside the cassette player completely.

I.E. my MP3 player looks like this:

On the inside it looks like this:

The blue thing on the right is the internal battery.

Hold up...stop the train....you still have a cassette player? Now you are going to start saying that you have CDs luking around...lol...
Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #33
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
I've been using the tape adapter for a while and no complains about the sound quality. Does the job for me. But I'm reall gonna look into installing that aux jack
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #34
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotAlero View Post
I've been using the tape adapter for a while and no complains about the sound quality. Does the job for me. But I'm reall gonna look into installing that aux jack

If you search the internet (espically Youtube) there seems to be lots of people doing it. Normally via the CD input or CD changer input, but I would think that one would ideally want to use the tape input and keep the CD player portion working.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #35
wws944
GX Member

wws944 is on a distinguished road
Any thoughts of the PAC AAI-GM12 vs the PIE GM12-AUXv2 for aux inputs? I am leaning towards the latter as it seems to be a bit better integrated with the stock head unit. Others I should be considering?

(Yes, I have installed aftermarket gear in other cars - starting way back in the 1970s. Not going the aftermarket route in this car. Also want to keep the XM capability intact.)
Old 01-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #36
wws944
GX Member

wws944 is on a distinguished road
It has been awhile since I posted the above question. Finally got around to ordering the PAC AAI-GM12.

Install went smoothly. It provides two sets of AUX inputs, and retains the XM capability. It does this via a 3-position toggle switch that one can mount somewhere. The PIE unit seemed like it would have integrated a bit better into the system, as no toggle switch was needed. But it was NLA when I was looking for them.

The wires from the back of the head unit to the PAC box are a little shorter than I would have liked. Currently I have PAC box zip tied to a bracket that is just in front of the shift lever.

Not sure where I am going to install the toggle switch. I bought spare console bezels - both for the radio and HVAC area, and the shifter area, at a Pick N Pull. So I can drill holes in them to try different placements.

The sound quality is great. No complaints.