Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 03-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Hood Scoops and Stripes

So I'm looking at some non functional hood scoops to put on the Alero. I masked off the hood to show where the scoop would go on one side. I would do the same on each side of the hood.

The front horizontal line closest to the headlight is 24" from the rear horizontal tape line and the end of the vertacle tips closest to the headlights are at 28" long. The width I masked out is 13" as shown.

I'm wanting to know if you think I should go with the 24"x11.5"wide or the 28"x13" scoop? I think I like the larger ones best.

Also, I'm wanting to to a custom stripe. I want it to run from the front Olds logo to the Olds logo on the trunk lid. Each logo will be the beginning and end of the line similar to the Intrigue 442 concept.

What do you guys think?

I want my stripe to run up the center of the car from one existing logo to the other similar to this.

http://www.oldsfe3x.com/intrigue442concept.htm

I showed the masked off scoops and stripe on my car here.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...o/DSCN4481.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...o/DSCN4482.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2-05134356.jpg

Last edited by fisdad : 03-25-2012 at 11:59 PM.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
I say keep the hood stock, but tell people that you had put scoops on there, realized it looked awful and felt shame for putting fake crap all over your nice shiny car, then you went through the trouble of removing it all and having the hood repainted. They will be impressed.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
I say keep the hood stock, but tell people that you had put scoops on there, realized it looked awful and felt shame for putting fake crap all over your nice shiny car, then you went through the trouble of removing it all and having the hood repainted. They will be impressed.

Ohhhhh! I like that haha

To OP; Non-functional means no use. As in no use in spending on it.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
DON'T DO IT
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post

Haha. That's not quite what I was looking for but amusing all the same. Still, this is much cheaper than the bubble hood which is also non functional and should add something to the bland hood.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I think the stock hood looks fine...it has just enough protrusion to make it some what sporty.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisdad View Post
Haha. That's not quite what I was looking for but amusing all the same. Still, this is much cheaper than the bubble hood which is also non functional and should add something to the bland hood.

Mine is functional.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
the bubble hoods are cowl hoods IIRC, which means they are functional.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
the bubble hoods are cowl hoods IIRC, which means they are functional.

Oh. I looked at the post after someone installed it and I saw a lot of comments about opening it to make it functional so I thought it wasn't.

The site I saw the Intrigue 442 on also stated that those weren't functional but either way with some cutting i can make them functional once I find something I like. I am also looking at the duraflex univeral scoops if i can get one for a decent price.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
Hellfire5670
GL Member

Hellfire5670 is on a distinguished road
if its to bland just cut a hole get a CAI and have that coming up out of your hood... you will definitely get some looks :P
Hellfire5670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire5670 View Post
if its to bland just cut a hole get a CAI and have that coming up out of your hood... you will definitely get some looks :P

woot! done!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
fisdad

I just found someone who has already done what I was thinking about doing.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/523656...dsmobile-alero
Old 03-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #13
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute

Just do this hood intake and a motorcycle exhaust
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

Quote:
I just found someone who has already done what I was thinking about doing.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/523656...dsmobile-alero

That thing is absolutely HIDEOUS!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
Goodman
GX Member

Goodman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
That thing is absolutely HIDEOUS!

Yeah! but it probably a car for dirt racing , demolition derby or something not road legal that for sure...

Anyhow as for a scoop if i ever put one it will be functional for sure why add something that you're not gona use?

I thought about it when i first bought my car , i wanted to order a scoop & then get a hood at scrap ward make the hole put the scoop blah!, blah! & when all done switch it with the original on the car , since this will be a "cheap" mod to do i may still do it one day , maybe?

EDIT: forget to add this -->http://www.oldsfe3x.com/intrigue442concept.htm
I first thought it was an Alero then realize it was an Intrigue/Aurora but man! i like the front bumper & the hood on this 442 concept
i would put that on my Alero for sure

Last edited by Goodman : 03-27-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
Yeah! but it probably a car for dirt racing , demolition derby or something not road legal that for sure...

Anyhow as for a scoop if i ever put one it will be functional for sure why add something that you're not gona use?

I thought about it when i first bought my car , i wanted to order a scoop & then get a hood at scrap ward make the hole put the scoop blah!, blah! & when all done switch it with the original on the car , since this will be a "cheap" mod to do i may still do it one day , maybe?

EDIT: forget to add this -->http://www.oldsfe3x.com/intrigue442concept.htm
I first thought it was an Alero then realize it was an Intrigue/Aurora but man! i like the front bumper & the hood on this 442 concept
i would put that on my Alero for sure

That's the look I'm going for. I may have to have it custom made to look right though. I am also considering the green Alero OSV Mustang style hood. I got an estimate to have one fabricated out of my original hood for $360. It would vent but not feed air directly to the box.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #17
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
I am also considering the green Alero OSV Mustang style hood. I got an estimate to have one fabricated out of my original hood for $360. It would vent but not feed air directly to the box.

Explain yourself please.......To my knowledge the green OSV alero has a stock hood on it.....

Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
Explain yourself please.......To my knowledge the green OSV alero has a stock hood on it.....

I can't find the picture again online and maybe this was a photoshop in the first place, but I printed it out a few months ago to take to a custom shop to get a build price. I think this looks bad ass!

Here is a link to the scan of the picture I printed.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...Alero/scan.jpg

Last edited by fisdad : 03-28-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
fisdad

Look at this hood. This is the 442 look that I am going for along with the Razzi kit and GAGT side skirts and moldings and I want to incorporate that awesome Olds logo stripe one way or another on my car either from bumper logo to trunk logo or on the sides higher up than what they did on the prototypes.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
I can't find the picture again online and maybe this was a photoshop in the first place, but I printed it out a few months ago to take to a custom shop to get a build price. I think this looks bad ass!

Here is a link to the scan of the picture I printed.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...Alero/scan.jpg

Probably a photochop. I think the 442 hood is much better looking than that one.

Quote:
Look at this hood. This is the 442 look that I am going for along with the Razzi kit and GAGT side skirts and moldings and I want to incorporate that awesome Olds logo stripe one way or another on my car either from bumper logo to trunk logo or on the sides higher up than what they did on the prototypes.

I used the 442 Alero for inspiration on my last alero.