Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #21
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
nate when you put your pushrods in the wrong order you called me saying there was smoke coming out of the TB when you cranked it, so how are you going to say its just plugs and wires?

for your information, i NEVER put my rods in the incorrect order, my Lifters were gummed, not bleeding out, and holing the valves

OOOH BURN
Old 01-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #22
2000aleroff
GX Member

2000aleroff is on a distinguished road
i have this same problem, i thought it was bad gas in the tank but this is the exact same problem. i try to start it up and it just backfires and smoke starts comming out everywhere if i give it gas. then it sputters and dies. im going to check my wires but i double check them everytime and i doubt thats the problem.
2000aleroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #23
2000aleroff
GX Member

2000aleroff is on a distinguished road
o and i forgot to say, no its not the pushrods because im 100% sure they're in right.
2000aleroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #24
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
either of you check codes? is it possible the camshaft postion sensor is toasted?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #25
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
OK i can only say did you plug the knock sensor in, also did you check for spark at each plug? ( just covering the basic stuff.)
did you plug in the Ignition module in all the way?

check the fuel pump turning on?
i have a question way did you turn the motor over?
when I did the LIMG didnt touch anything but the lifter rockers to pull the rods..
check fuel presser at the rails?

Again just covering a few things to check and maybe find the one thing you missed...
hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 AM   #26
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I can't believe nobody asked this question.

How did you get the ICM off without removing the coil packs? Sorry that's not possible since the bolts that hold on the ICM are UNDER the coil packs.

Since you said you didn't remove the wires from the coils, and you HAD TO remove the coils, did you put the coils back in the right place?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #27
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
I can't believe nobody asked this question.

How did you get the ICM off without removing the coil packs? Sorry that's not possible since the bolts that hold on the ICM are UNDER the coil packs.

Since you said you didn't remove the wires from the coils, and you HAD TO remove the coils, did you put the coils back in the right place?

i think he meant the entire assembly, unless i'm a skimmer and he took OFF the ICM for testing, then yes, the bolts that hold down the ICM are UNDER the coil packs, and the ICM CANNOT be tested unless it is off that ground plate
Old 01-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #28
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Are all three of the connectors hooked up to the coil packs? The first time I did one of these I missed a connector and the car misfired horribly.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #29
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
i think we need to stop with the bs and the basics should be covered:

fuel?
spark?
compression?

CHECK THEM, dont say you know.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #30
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

i think we made him mad, becuase we were right, and he was shown up... lol
Nate's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #31
greg_gorrell
GX Member

greg_gorrell is on a distinguished road
Okay, thanks for the help guys. I finally figured out the problem, which was just bad plugs, I replaced them and the wires and she fired up nicely. Now I have a new problem tho. The battery won't charge. I checked all the wiring, everything is fine there. The battery was checked, and that is fine. I took the alternator off and took it to Auto Zone where they checked it and said it was bad, so I bought a new one. I fire it up and the check engine light, and the battery light both stay on. Its just running off the battery. I have check the voltage of the battery and when not running I get 11.49 volts off of it, which is alright since I drove it home after recharging it. While running, the voltage is 11.29 volts. Anyone know what else could be causing this?
greg_gorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #32
greg_gorrell
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
i think we made him mad, becuase we were right, and he was shown up... lol

Think again, though I am kinda disappointed I didnt check the plugs right off the bat. But its one thing after the other.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #33
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_gorrell View Post
Okay, thanks for the help guys. I finally figured out the problem, which was just bad plugs, I replaced them and the wires and she fired up nicely. Now I have a new problem tho. The battery won't charge. I checked all the wiring, everything is fine there. The battery was checked, and that is fine. I took the alternator off and took it to Auto Zone where they checked it and said it was bad, so I bought a new one. I fire it up and the check engine light, and the battery light both stay on. Its just running off the battery. I have check the voltage of the battery and when not running I get 11.49 volts off of it, which is alright since I drove it home after recharging it. While running, the voltage is 11.29 volts. Anyone know what else could be causing this?

sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere, check the cable for the main, and possibly just run a new one, they can deteriorate, because of being so close to the rear exhaust manifold
Old 01-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #34
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Yeah maybe Nate, but I got 2 crappy alternators from AutoZone. One lasted a week the other 2 years.

Is there an Advanced Auto around you? I've been buying my parts there

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #35
greg_gorrell
GX Member

I checked all the wiring and there's nothing that appears to be shorting out or anything. I followed all the wiring to and from the alternator. It's throwing me engine codes along with the battery light so I might just have to hope she will make it into town for the free diagnostic at "the Zone". Oh and I got the alt with a lifetime warranty so I should be good as far as the thing not working.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #36
greg_gorrell
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
either of you check codes? is it possible the camshaft postion sensor is toasted?

The camshaft sensor is more of an advance. From what I have found out, it will only make you car idle shitty and wouldnt be the cause of it not starting.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #37
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
Well if you had bad plugs then you might or should have miss fire codes that why the SES light would be on...
as for the Alt. sounds like you might have a bad one or bad battery cable..
try running a 4 gauge wire from the alt to the battery...
Old 01-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #38
greg_gorrell
GX Member

Check the battery cable and it is good, I will upgrade though just to be sure. But last night I pulled the battery again to recharge it and reinstalled it a little bit ago and theres no engine light anymore, just the battery light. That really sucks because I went and bought a code reader and now its not throwing me any codes. I'm completely stumped right now.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #39
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_gorrell View Post
Check the battery cable and it is good, I will upgrade though just to be sure. But last night I pulled the battery again to recharge it and reinstalled it a little bit ago and theres no engine light anymore, just the battery light. That really sucks because I went and bought a code reader and now its not throwing me any codes. I'm completely stumped right now.

should still be saved, if it went out on it's own
Old 01-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #40
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Battery light means alty isn't charging at all. If it charges it sends opposing voltage on that circuit, so nothing flows, so that way the light shuts off.

check for, on the alty harness.. (I forget the wires exactly)
-12v coming in
-a low voltage coming out... whatever that may be

Next go to the voltage reulator (unless that's in the alt.. some GMS have that, I forget if the alero does)... sometimes in the PCM (chrysler mostly.. I think.. but I don't remember)... sometimes just a box. Search wiring diagrams online to hopefully find it.

Check to make sure you have a bit of voltage on the pin coming from the alt going into the regulator (regulator just controls current flow in field winding on alt). If there is a little voltage on there, back probe into it, and ground that wire BRIEFLY***!!! The engine should bog a bit, and system voltage should spike (like 16V or up.. which is why you only do it BIREFLY).

If it spikes when you ground the wire going to the regulator, the regulator's bad.
If it doesn't have 12v coming into the alt.. you have a problem with the circuit that feeds it.. time to test around more.
If you have 12V coming in, and 12v coming out, and 0v at the regulator, you have an open circuit between the alt and regulator.

If the field circuit all tests out OK, you can be pretty sure the alt's bad.