Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 11-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
Fixing scratches

Ok i searched and didn't really find anything that matched what im looking for, so here's the scoop last year my ex was condensing boxes of stuff out of my mom's garage and she was setting boxes on my hood (against my wishes) and she was pulling them down the hood it scratched the hell out of my hood if i could get pics i would but the car is now in the garage where its sat for a year now i would love to get the hood looking right again after i take it off to do the new engine the car well be eventually getting repainted all the way around but at the moment the engine's the only thing im worried about really besides the unsightly scratches what can i do to make them not so noticeable?????? That is the only thing at the moment paint wise atm that im worried about cause the car will be repainted in a year or so to match all the paint to one color cause the drivers quarter panel is darker then the rest of the car idk what happened it was that way when i bought it..... anything is better then nothing advise wise to me right now

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
sfi3400
GL Member

sfi3400 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sfi3400 Send a message via Yahoo to sfi3400
Are the scratches Deep, like if you rub your finger over them can you feel them?

Cause before i got my car painted it had scratches all over it. You could really see them after i detailed it.
I got that cheap scratch thing at wally mart, just for fun to see if it would work. Surprisingly it worked amazing.If this isnt much help im sorry dont know much about cars just a lil.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Alerojester
GL Member

you can slightly feel them they are about a medium depth if that helps anyone with this

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Old 11-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
sfi3400
GL Member

o, wow sounds like pretty good scratches :\. You can try that scratch thing, auto zone or pep-boys may have a better product for it. hope you find a way to fix it for the time being
Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i dont know if anyone else tried this.... but i saw a thing on tv called Fix a scratch, and apparently from the commercial they took a need and scratched the side of a car and used this pen called fix a scratch and it was gone, it matches the paint so you cant tell there was a scratch there.

you could try that, but i have never used it and wonder if it works. so you could try that if you'd like. no guarantee that it will work, but maybe worth a shot.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
sfi3400
GL Member

thank you thats what i was thinking about. Yes it work well, just read how to use it.

I cant remember exactly, but DO NOT let it dry on your car you will see like a clear coat on your car and it will look horrible.

i think you just apply it then whipe with a micro fiber and your done.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Thewolf
GX Member

Thewolf is on a distinguished road
Try Turtle Wax polishing compound, put some on the car and rub it out hard with a cloth. It got out the less deeper scratches for me.
Thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
o take your finger nail on the scratch, if it stops its to deep to sand and buff out
or if you see white or metal, by your post it sounds like its just scratches, so i would do that first, if you have experience in buffing then you know what to do

if you dont you can do some damage with a buffer, if buffing a small spot does nothing then i would sand with 1500 then 2000

that should do it but again experience in buffing is the key
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
i dont know if anyone else tried this.... but i saw a thing on tv called Fix a scratch, and apparently from the commercial they took a need and scratched the side of a car and used this pen called fix a scratch and it was gone, it matches the paint so you cant tell there was a scratch there.

you could try that, but i have never used it and wonder if it works. so you could try that if you'd like. no guarantee that it will work, but maybe worth a shot.

It doesn't work, my mom tried it on some hairline scratches on her truck once, all it did was make the spot look grey till the next time it got washed.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
Alerojester
GL Member

Thank you they aren't too deep, and i really don't have much experience with a buffer so that's out of the question i guess i'll do it the old Karate Kid way and hope that fixes them(she was gonna fix them then i drama insued so that didn't happen damn ex's that owe you about $8k)

Old 11-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
Christato71
GX Member

Christato71 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Christato71 Send a message via AIM to Christato71 Send a message via MSN to Christato71 Send a message via Skype™ to Christato71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post

Yeah this doesn't work too good, I've tried it and it didn't do a thing.

Blog
Christato71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
Greencoupe2.2
GX Member

Greencoupe2.2 is on a distinguished road
First get some rubbing compound and apply that by hand and buff out with a cloth using moderate pressure, then apply some polishing compund and get a buffer attachment for your drill and buff it out, using moderate pressure and speed, then finish it off with a nice coat of wax . Dont use to much pressure or you could damage the clear coat. My hood used to have a gost flame on it made by a box flying off a semi truck on the thru-way, with scratches about as deep as yours.

Last edited by Greencoupe2.2 : 11-11-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Greencoupe2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote