Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
you know how, all the people wanna turbo/supercharge thier alero. and then they realize they have to build thier tranny up in able to support all the power stress.

people say the tranny can only support 300 hp, and can only support a certain amount of power for so long.

but see what i dont understand, is there are so many more grand am guys with turbo/sc cars than aleros, and alot of them dont have a built up tranny, and somehow never have any problems.

is it possible that just the altered final drive ratio between the GA and the Alero makes that much of a difference in tranny life?

its either that or everyone just has the low boost turbo or SC. (6 psi) even still is alot more stress than no boost.

ive been thinking about it alot and have been wondering why this is. maybe some people just had bad luck? and the tranny went before the motor (aleros) i cant say...

someone enlighten me on this.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Menace
@Kutztown University PA

Menace is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Menace
I completely understand what your asking and I was thinking of this myself.

2007 Scion tC in driveway!!

Stuff for sale

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13919
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
u kinda anwsered your own question. most people just dont run much more than 6psi or so of boost........ because that IS when the tranny starts to show that it cant handle the power. and in my opinion whats the fun of only running 6 psi.

but forget about the tranny...... of the small number of boosted car i know of 4 that have straight up blown the motors up. in my opinion the 3400 just aint a great motor to boost.

blackjack seems be be goin about boosting his car in the correct way though so it will be interesting to see how his car performs/holds up

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
flalero

The final drive ratios of the Alero and GA are the same. The only one that is different is the GA GT. Final drive ratios are identical between the Alero and GA SE. I don't really see this as the problem. I had only regular bolt ons and a shift plus on my car. After about six months of using the shift plus in conjunction with the other mods, I started having problems with my tranny. I think it is just a hit and miss thing.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:15 AM   #5
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
i can count on one hand how many people have a boosted alero....and those people havent yet complained about tranny problems, including myself. this tranny can take more than everyone thinks. just look at the j-body guys. its almost rare with them to have a non-boosted car now, and the majority of the boosted cars dont have any mods to the tranny and run great. i know that the tranny in their cars are slightly different....but only slightly...its pretty much the same thing.

there's one guy that has a z24 cavalier......fully built 2.4 turbo on the stock auto tranny with the shift plus....and i'm talkin fully built as in every single moving part from the cams to the oil pump improved, strengthened, or replaced with stronger parts. i've seen a dyno sheet of his...at only 6 psi it put down 255hp at the wheels. since then he's cranked the boost and still has no problems. if you take care of it, this tranny can take the power and last no matter if its the gm s/c or your own custom built turbo kit.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Quote:
Originally posted by Spilner521@Mar 28 2006, 03:15 AM
i can count on one hand how many people have a boosted alero....and those people havent yet complained about tranny problems, including myself. this tranny can take more than everyone thinks. just look at the j-body guys. its almost rare with them to have a non-boosted car now, and the majority of the boosted cars dont have any mods to the tranny and run great. i know that the tranny in their cars are slightly different....but only slightly...its pretty much the same thing.

there's one guy that has a z24 cavalier......fully built 2.4 turbo on the stock auto tranny with the shift plus....and i'm talkin fully built as in every single moving part from the cams to the oil pump improved, strengthened, or replaced with stronger parts. i've seen a dyno sheet of his...at only 6 psi it put down 255hp at the wheels. since then he's cranked the boost and still has no problems. if you take care of it, this tranny can take the power and last no matter if its the gm s/c or your own custom built turbo kit.

yeah see i was kinda thinking that. cause there have been probably 1 or 2 alero guys on here that have said thier tranny's gave in.

and since then everyone else who read that just thinks the tranny will always break under these stress's.

so maybe some of us are underestimating the tranny?