Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 08-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
joker
GX Member

joker is on a distinguished road
Possible group buy.

Just judging interest in a possible group buy for a Cosmo Racing short ram air system (here). Only for the 2.2L but I wanted to see how many people would be interested. The more we get the cheaper we get them.
joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:50 PM   #2
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would be...count me in.

Edit: Post it in Gagt.com also
Old 08-25-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
number1alero
GL Member

number1alero is an unknown quantity at this point
i would also be interested...since im all stock...and dont plan on getting an exhaust system, would this be worthwhile for me?
number1alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:10 AM   #4
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Good call.....Count me in also (girlfriend's Cavalier) Have you already contacted them about a group buy? What kind of price did they offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1alero View Post
i would also be interested...since im all stock...and dont plan on getting an exhaust system, would this be worthwhile for me?

Yes it'll be worthwhile even on a stock engine. You'll just see more of a gain with a full exhaust.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 08-25-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
Mischief007
GL Member

Mischief007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mischief007
I also may be interested in this.
Mischief007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
number1alero
GL Member

im guessing it doesnt come with K&N air filter though correct?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
joker
GX Member

No K&N filter but a high flow filter just the same. He mentioned that if I could get 10 people together then it would probably be around $60 plus shipping.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:00 PM   #8
number1alero
GL Member

can you find out how much this will be with shipping on this? i know its not much but some people might be on a tight budget and seeing as this as relatively inexpensive might be able to scrounge extra cash together for it
Old 08-25-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
Trickyslick
V.I.P. Member

Trickyslick is an unknown quantity at this point
I would be game also 2.2 eco baby
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2231641/1
Trickyslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
joker
GX Member

Well it would all depend on where you are for shipping.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
slalomking
GX Member

slalomking is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys- 3 ?s. Hopefully not dumb ones-

One post Q&A noted filter is not K&N, but it is a hi flo design- I assume that comes w/ the kit? Also, can a K&N replacement fit onto this w/o problems/compatability issues, so we are not stuck buying a high dollar custom fit job direct from this company?

What is the body colored fitting/thingy the filter intake fits into in the driverside fenderwell housing? Is that stock? I never took my stock plumbing apart to look around to see what's under it.

Winter driving- what is the effect of cold RAM air? My gut tells this setup should be returned to stock for winter temps (40 degrees in fall, down to zero in dead of winter)? What are the real world effects of leaving this setup on when it's cold?

Last edited by slalomking : 08-25-2006 at 05:09 PM. Reason: clarification
slalomking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
adjennin
GX Member

adjennin is an unknown quantity at this point
I have this intake and filter since it was so cheap. It works ok but the fitiment is terrible. The air filter on it it not so good so I swapped it out for the AEM dryflow and I would recommend that to you guys as well if you are going this route. There are no instructions that come with it and you have to plug off one of the intake holes since that is for european application only.

I attached a pic for you to see. I had to put some electrical tape on the bottom of the intake. When you go over a decent bump it may come into contact with the positive battery terminal.

adjennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #13
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomking View Post
Hey guys- 3 ?s. Hopefully not dumb ones-

One post Q&A noted filter is not K&N, but it is a hi flo design- I assume that comes w/ the kit? Also, can a K&N replacement fit onto this w/o problems/compatability issues, so we are not stuck buying a high dollar custom fit job direct from this company?

What is the body colored fitting/thingy the filter intake fits into in the driverside fenderwell housing? Is that stock? I never took my stock plumbing apart to look around to see what's under it.

Winter driving- what is the effect of cold RAM air? My gut tells this setup should be returned to stock for winter temps (40 degrees in fall, down to zero in dead of winter)? What are the real world effects of leaving this setup on when it's cold?

1) You could easily put a K&N filter on it.

2) Not really sure what you're talking about.

3) No problem at all with cold air. Maybe you haven't been around cars very long but the colder the air going into the engine the better, even if it's 0° or below.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:39 AM   #14
FantomForceCustoms02
GL Member

FantomForceCustoms02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FantomForceCustoms02
I'd be in on this
http://www.myspace.com/fantomforce
FantomForceCustoms02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #15
slalomking
GX Member

Thanks Spilner, to a 'degree'

I might have worded # 3 a bit more diplomatically. I was probably rebuilding my Rochester 4MC on my Chevy V8 400 before you were born, but that's OK. I understand the benefits of cold air, which is why I have interest in the product to begin with.

My cold question was posed b/c sometimes a cold weather drivability issue (power, smoothness) comes up until a car is warmed up. My Ecotec on a cold, cold day, is not really ready flog for about the 1st 5 minutes or so. The cold ram air could extend this warm up period.

Regarding #2, the pic from the kit's site shows us details normally hidden under the air box that many of us stockers have not seen. The filter's intake end of the cone appears to almost nestle into a fender bulge that looks like a side view of a donut, and that is what I asked about.

People come here to ask questions and learn, not to be talked down to in a condescending manner.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #16
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Thanks Spilner, to a 'degree'

I might have worded # 3 a bit more diplomatically. I was probably rebuilding my Rochester 4MC on my Chevy V8 400 before you were born, but that's OK. I understand the benefits of cold air, which is why I have interest in the product to begin with.

My cold question was posed b/c sometimes a cold weather drivability issue (power, smoothness) comes up until a car is warmed up. My Ecotec on a cold, cold day, is not really ready flog for about the 1st 5 minutes or so. The cold ram air could extend this warm up period.

Regarding #2, the pic from the kit's site shows us details normally hidden under the air box that many of us stockers have not seen. The filter's intake end of the cone appears to almost nestle into a fender bulge that looks like a side view of a donut, and that is what I asked about.

People come here to ask questions and learn, not to be talked down to in a condescending manner.

I wasn't trying to talk down to you at all. Reading some text on a computer screen doesn't tell you anything about the person and how much or how little they might know about engines. All I had to go off was the way the question was worded. You're right in that people come to ask questions and learn and some people really don't know how certain things work, so I try to explain it to them so they can learn. I apologize for any miscommunication.

To clear up the #3 question: The intake won't really add much time to engine warm up, if any at all. Before my turbo setup, I had an almost identical short ram on my 2.4 and engine warm up before and after the intake was pretty much the same amount of time, even in the dead of winter, and the past few winters the temps have dropped well into the single digits. The engine will be a bit louder with the intake so the it'll sound as though it's running more rough than usual in cold weather, but only because you can hear it more than with the stock airbox.

And for question #2: Now that I look at the picture again I see what you're talking about. In that picture, whoever installed that intake never bolted it to the power steering bolt to hold it in place, but instead left it to rest on that bulge you see. That bulge is just part of the wheel well and doesn't get in the way when you correctly install the intake. Here's a link to that same intake, only mounted in a Cavalier: http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=130&pid=1357
You can see that when it's bolted to the power steering bolt, the end with the filter is held up and doesn't rest on anything. Also you can look at adjennin's pic a few posts up. He has it installed correctly.

Hope that helps you out.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 08-26-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #17
slalomking
GX Member

Thanks very much Spilner, for re-reviewing my questions. Very helpful. All is cool.

In noting the location of the filter, I guess I am scratching my head as to how this setup, and others similar to it, are considered 'cold air'. as the intake is located within the hot engine bay?

In the same vein, for this setup, how is it called a (short intake) 'ram' setup? I definately see how the plumbing is smoother, and less restrictive after ditching the box and plastic ducting, but how is this considered ram air? Wouldn't we need an intake thru the hood, belly, or perhaps somewhere thru the front wheel well (the latter 2 locations inviting a healthy dump of rainwater, no doubt)?

I realize I'm looking at this rather intensly, but when these setups are labeled 'cold air' or 'ram air', I'm thinking they should simply be called 'low restriction' and leave it at that?

Anyone else thinking along the same lines?
Old 08-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #18
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
SRI or short ram intake, is obviously not a ram air, CAI is just that(Cold Air Intake)
Old 08-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #19
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Thanks very much Spilner, for re-reviewing my questions. Very helpful. All is cool.

In noting the location of the filter, I guess I am scratching my head as to how this setup, and others similar to it, are considered 'cold air'. as the intake is located within the hot engine bay?

In the same vein, for this setup, how is it called a (short intake) 'ram' setup? I definately see how the plumbing is smoother, and less restrictive after ditching the box and plastic ducting, but how is this considered ram air? Wouldn't we need an intake thru the hood, belly, or perhaps somewhere thru the front wheel well (the latter 2 locations inviting a healthy dump of rainwater, no doubt)?

I realize I'm looking at this rather intensly, but when these setups are labeled 'cold air' or 'ram air', I'm thinking they should simply be called 'low restriction' and leave it at that?

Anyone else thinking along the same lines?

Yeah they're pretty much just low restriction intakes. Sometimes they call them a WAI or warm air intake. It doesn't see any cool air at all so calling it a CAI would be false as you said. Air will circulate under the hood so it'll get fresh air, it'll just be warmer than if the filter was placed outside the engine bay.

My idea for getting cool air to this intake is this: Fabricate a box to enclose the filter in to block the heat of the engine bay. From that box, run a pipe the same diameter of the intake pipe (2.75") into the fender like a CAI would and point that pipe out towards the front of the car through an opening in the bumper (behind or next to the foglight). It won't have a true ram air effect but it'll take in cool, outside air without placing the filter in the direct path of water and debris.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #20
slalomking
GX Member

That seems it will be a good setup.. I'll have to think about that one.

We really need a group buy on a WS6 type hood setup- something w/ styling that matches the Alero's curves- nothing cartoonish. The whole hood, so there is no cutting and pasting and all the cosmetic issues that go w/ that.

We'd get it painted locally, bolt it on, and do the plumbing as a part of a kit. No more of this 'warm-ish, ram-ish' stuff that has dubious real world benefits.

Whenever I was climbing our local hills on those 99 degree days we had, I could have used a true cold ram air setup, believe me!