Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Hectic
GX Member

Hectic is on a distinguished road
Amp location?

Where would be the beat place to mount an amp in the trunk?

I'm thinking the back of the seat, but if my subs are pointing at it from pretty close, won't that damage it?
Old 11-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Cashdollar2009
GL Member

Cashdollar2009 is on a distinguished road
The only reason why your subs should be facing forward is if you plan to seal you enclosure off from the trunk. If not, you are just going to get a lot of cancellation and not a whole lot of sound pressure. (It will not be very loud.) Face your subs to the rear so they can load off of your trunk lid, then your amplifier will be fine on the back of your seat.

Edit: spelling
Old 11-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
MotorCity
GL Member

MotorCity is on a distinguished road
back of seat driver side

I am beyond help...
MotorCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Ive always been a fan of mounting amps under the car.

I see you are in Canada so the snow will help cool it.

Snow cooled... I should patent that idea!

Joking of course.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
Cashdollar2009
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post

Joking of course.

Just throw it in a zip-loc first and you'll be alright.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
one of my friends took their car to get a HID installation and they actually have a relay in his wheel well with a plastic bag wrapped over it so it didnt get wet LOL

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
scott192
GX Member

scott192 is on a distinguished road
back of the seat or in the spare tire void cause once you put a sub in better get roadside and take out the spare you got room for a battery and an amp if you wanted
parts so far: 10000k hid heads and fogs, alpine INAW900, bluetooth, backup camera, alpine mrp-m2000, 18fi btl, 270amp mechman alterntor, 2 Redtop Batt's, all LED lights and color changing signals white/amber (every bulb other then dummy lights) and limo back 3 and 20% in the front and tinted tails
check out my car http://www.youtube.com/user/scott192
Quote:
Well I know my car is female because she was bleeding for 7 days and didnt die!
scott192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
MattismodderX
GLS member

MattismodderX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MattismodderX
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott192 View Post
back of the seat or in the spare tire void cause once you put a sub in better get roadside and take out the spare you got room for a battery and an amp if you wanted

only problem with this area is the amp will get very very hot! had a 500rms boss amp melt from bein in there
Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
scott192
GX Member

get a more efficent amp!! my mrp-m2000 cranked for 30 mins doesnt even reach 40c... and what ohm you running at?
parts so far: 10000k hid heads and fogs, alpine INAW900, bluetooth, backup camera, alpine mrp-m2000, 18fi btl, 270amp mechman alterntor, 2 Redtop Batt's, all LED lights and color changing signals white/amber (every bulb other then dummy lights) and limo back 3 and 20% in the front and tinted tails
Quote:
Old 11-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
MattismodderX
GLS member

it melted about 2 years ago. my car is black. when it gets hot in the summer, inner temperatures of my car become oven-like. from it just sitting in the sun, amps cant play for too long loudly (mounted on the back of the backseats) because without even powering them on theyre too hot to touch. so when its one of those days and the amp is in the spare tire well..
Old 11-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
scott192
GX Member

so where in the oven you plan on putting it if its too hot on the back of the seat where the hell you plan on putting it whatever the temp at the back seat is gonna be the temp anywhere else....you plan on putting it under your a/c vent?? like wtf the temp isnt going to change anywhere in the car in the summer if anything the back of the seat would be best cause you can fold down the seat and get some cool air on it from your window!! and in the spare tire holder throw a fan on the top and cut some vents on the other side sure it would work good...and just get a bigger amp so your not workin it so hard! wont get hot
Quote:
Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
MattismodderX
GLS member

i have an MB Quart 1000.1 discus and a kicker 350.4. its about all my stock alt can handle without crapping out. surprised its lasted this long. if i open my windows with them on the back of the seat it works out ok after about 15 mins. other then that i dont have the room for them without building an amp rack. - which will hopefully be done before spring. picking up either 2 15 XFLs or HDs. then a 2000rms/3000rms amp will be needed depending on the final sub choice

attached is a photo of the current temporary setup. despite its grotesque appearance it sounds very nice. loud as shit. mids are painful. temp sub currently. its only 300rms had a 2000rms custom built tc sounds 12 in a 3.9 box. sounded sexy but it had a slow painful death
Old 11-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
scott192
GX Member

what ohm you running at?
Quote:
Old 11-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
MattismodderX
GLS member

other sub ran at 1ohm, this one is wired to 4ohm since the amp is way to powerful for this baby sub
Old 11-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
scott192
GX Member

have you thought of goin to 2ohm? alot less power but less heat aswell
Quote:
Old 11-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #16
MattismodderX
GLS member

heat is never a problem unless its mid summer and my cars been sitting in the sun for 3 hours. amps run nice and cool every other day of the year
Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
Cashdollar2009
GL Member

1. Matt was referring to the spare tire well as a bad place because there is absolutely no ventilation in there. On a hot summer day, if the tire well gets warm enough the amplifier has no way whatsoever to vent when it dissipates its heat = amplifier overheating = mechanical failure/ melting or burning up internals/ protection. (With the fan idea, you'd need a fan going either way, you can't just pump "fresh" air in, you need to also remove the heat buildup as well.) Plus with the box more than likely covering the spare tire well, ventilating that area would be rough.

No matter how efficient your amplifier may be, you are still putting your equipment at risk by running it in such conditions... In 99% of cases, the back of your seat is just fine if you drive around with it down. The amplifier heatsinks are developed the way that they are for a reason; to dissipate heat as efficiently as possible for that particular amp. They aren't meant to be mounted at angles/sideways/areas with little to no ventilation.

2. You can't run a dual 2-ohm subwoofer at a 2-ohm final nominal load. Either 1-ohm or 4-ohms for a single subwoofer.

3. There is absolutely no reason to NOT run an amplifier at 1-ohm as long as you can keep your voltage stable and you have the gain matched to the specific driver(s) in your application. If your amplifier can produce the power that you need, USE IT! Efficiency drops when your voltage drops. If you keep your voltage stable then it is up to proper gain settings and proper physical application to ensure that you are running everything safely.

4. Budget: To buy an amplifier that is 1-ohm stable or even .5 stable and you have the electrical to support it, it is definitely cost inefficient trying to find another amplifier to run at 2-ohms to do the same power. For example one amplifier may do 1,000rms @1-ohm, but only 650rms at 2-ohms. In order to find an amplifier that does 1,000rms @ 2-ohms, you are looking at a 1-ohm power rating of about 1,400 to 1,600rms. Wasted power in my opinion, as well as cash. I mean unless you have that money burning a hole in your pocket. (These are just VERY general examples, nothing specific. Just giving an idea.)

Also, roadside assistance? REAL bassheads don't have enough money after buying all of their equipment to afford a tow-truck. lol
Old 11-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
scott192
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashdollar2009 View Post
Also, roadside assistance? REAL bassheads don't have enough money after buying all of their equipment to afford a tow-truck. lol

come on 65 bucks a year come on i spend more on coffee!! its a part of driving your gonna have an issue sometime or another worth it in my books!! and it includes dummy stuff like running outta gas*havnt used*, locking yourself out*gf used 4 times*, towwed my car across the city*used*, and boosting *used on my lastcar* so what would that have been total?? lol

and when you buy an amp buy it to what you plan on using it for daily driver get something nice... i spent 650 on mine and am very happy with it!! more then enough power never gets to hot...and yes i have a black 2 door tinted and it feels like an oven getting in yet i can bump that shit and not worry at all and im running it at 2 ohm with the fi now but was running the HX2's all summer not one issue!! and it was a damn sauna in there
Quote:
Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #19
Lowpros24
GX Member

Lowpros24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post

Joking of course.

I feel that putting the amp under the car especially if it snows
is bad, because moisture can build up if to cold and short out the amp
Old 11-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #20
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
^ dude are you serious??????? he even stated it was a joke...