Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
slalomking
GX Member

slalomking is an unknown quantity at this point
XM signal buffer getting worse over time

Guys, I have the factory 200W XM head unit in my '03 (not called Monsoon at that point, not sure what facory name was at that time).

The XM signal was near never cut off in the early days. Over time, the signal buffer (proper terminology?) has gotten steadily worse, and now even w/ leaves off the trees for winters, the signal cuts out at the least physical block- going under an overpass at 60 MPH, getting next to a semi truck- really bad.

If there are no overhead blockages, everything is fine, but this issue is really making enjoying XM a pain, esp in summer when the leaves are on the trees.

Any past reports of this and what might be the cause/fix? I am sure the few dealers left in my area would simply say get a new radio, when in fact it could be the antenna boot or something else.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by slalomking : 01-06-2011 at 10:33 PM.
slalomking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Afugy
I poop alot

Afugy is on a distinguished road
Have you talked to XM?

They maybe be just lowering the power of their signal in your area? I know my XM always seemed to work be the closer I got to a big city.
Afugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I would start with the antenna, once that is ruled out then move on to the headunit. If you had another antenna same make and model that you could play with then troubleshooting could go faster. Once the antenna is ruled out then you are left with the headunit unless there is another device between the antenna and headunit. Like Afugy said call XM...its been awhile since I had them but they may be able to test your headunit. Depending on model they maybe able to get you into some test functions or diaganostics to see signal strength...etc.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
its actually XM, i owned an XM before and for whatever reason their signals suck really badly unless you live in some HUGE city your signal is going to be crappy.

I switched over to Sirius and much better receiption
robalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
factory satellite radio in an alero? (scratches head).....
Old 01-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Malibu369258
GL Member

Malibu369258 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
factory satellite radio in an alero? (scratches head).....

yep... had it in my '03
Malibu369258 is offline   Reply With Quote