-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
B-spot for president opc1:
Old 05-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #43
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
seems like I got slammed on this topic before with no rebuttal.....so which one is it? I've always been taught by my father and grandfather that if you were ever scared you were about to run out of gas, turn off all electrical items in the car (radio, heater fan, etc.) to reduce drag on the engine, increasing the chance of making it further on the fumes....ROFL....I always just assumed it was true.
Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie+Mar 25 2005, 12:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fast Eddie @ Mar 25 2005, 12:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>The electric fan bit is BS. ITS ELECTRIC so it does not add rotating mass to the engine like the old style crank driven ones. having it on (or off) has negligible effects on the engine. Now if you remove a crank driven fan and put in an electric fan you will notice a diff...
I have serious questions about the positive effects of removing the headlight, Two runs is by no means scientific results.
About half of the other things are minimal, might give quicker revs. The rest are a decent start. The one thing that you neglected to mention was motor/tran mounts, not sure which ones are avail on which combo though, these would also go a looong way t odetering wheel hop.
[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackJack@Mar 28 2005, 04:20 AM
and furthermore, yes, the electric fan is (all caps) ELECTRIC, hence load on the alternator, resulting on more drag to the engine, and every stinkin bit counts fighting the timer.....BS that.
<!--QuoteBegin-Fast Eddie
@Mar 28 2005, 04:12 PM
The alternator is going to produce a load on the engine as long is it is mechanically attached to the crank, only way to reduce that drag is to remove it (not advisable if you have a street driven car). The amount of resistance being produced by the alternator is also a constant, regardless of current is being drawn from the battery. So adding an electric fan will not produce more drag on the engine b/c the alternator is not a variable resistance unit, its either there or its not.
So yeah BS :P
[/quote]

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #44
dustyd63
GX Member

dustyd63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dustyd63
^ would help, but in the case that you're already running on fumes, you may save enough to make it an extra 10 feet.
dustyd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #45
GiddyMongoose

Just want to add that while forcing more air into and out of the end via intake and exhaust will add power but to get the full effect you will need to increase your fuel into the engine.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #46
keepitsimple

wow this is an old post, but i also agree fans slow u down, i have a toggle switch for my fans, made them from a broken aftermarket fog kit, the switch switches my fans on instead of the fogs, i can explain if any one needs it, my fans just stopped working so i had to, anyway, i do notice a difference in my cars power when the fans are on or off, especially when im on the highway, but i agree to that, and think its the fact that the electricity that is supplied to the spark plugs and computer and all that good stuff is being drawn to power my fans or my system, and because the size of the alternator wheel stayes the same your generating power at a constant, thats why when u change that wheel to a different size its either better or worse for your system, it either speeds up the generator allowing more rotaions, making more power or slows it down making less rotations, making less power, but if u turn on all the power in your car the generator make a set amount that has to get distributed to everything it will put drag and strain on your electrical system, taking power that can be used for spark and sending it to ur fans or system. making your electrical system not as efficient as possible.

im not sure if ur alternator send power to ur systems, or the battery, either way the same effect, the alternator has to recharge the battery to power the items, or your altornator has to work equally hard to power your other crap
Old 11-07-2005, 03:04 AM   #47
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
WOW, this is an old post.

Since I never saw B-spot's post; The alt gets a constant 14V from the battery assuming it is properly charged. then depending on the power needed to recharge the battery the regulator adjusts the amount of voltage going into the alt. The regulator converts this unneeded voltage to HEAT, it does not magically disappear, I'm aware that you cannot simply make energy disappear. Once again you are comparing a generator to an alternator. Read up, the two are different, modern street cars have a 3-phase alternator. The work needed to turn the alt will increase but it is < 0.3% (crank HP)so IMO, and my physics profs. opinion, its negligible. Of cousre the oil in the engine has been documented to make 3+% difference in WHP.

But, alas, I am just an owned tool who knows nothing of physics, chemistry, or the fact that modern cars have alternators, not generators, or any knowledge of how alternators, or any other car part works. But please carry on with schooling on the peeps :notworthy:
Old 11-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #48
PlainOldOlds
V.I.P. Member

PlainOldOlds is an unknown quantity at this point
Forget about drag on the engine or how hard the alternator is to spin under different loads for a minute. The fans are electric. Lets say they kick on just as you're taking off at the track... there will be a temporary drop in voltage to the fuel pump as they spin up. It's not much, but it will still rob some power. So the fan switch is a good idea anyway! :P

</2cents>
PlainOldOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:24 AM   #49
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
What happened to the battery? It would normally prevent a voltage drop. Like I stated before, its acts as a giant cap. in the system.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #50
CBLOHM3400
Trying To Help

CBLOHM3400 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to CBLOHM3400
i have to agree with fasteddie battery is just a large cap after the car has started, alt always maintaining (not charging) the battery charge level
battery voltage per cell is 2.1volts with a total of 12.6 fully charged
Old 12-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #51
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
WOW this is an old post. (Third person to say that, you just made an over 2 year bump)

But he's from Michigan w00t another member from MI
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #52
oldskid33
GX Member

oldskid33 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to oldskid33
Headers $600 to $900
4,2,1 or 4 to 1 headers for a 4 banger and 3 to 1 headers for 3400's move exhaust gases faster, and hotter. For a 3400 it adds about 20 HP at the wheels and is a very serious mod. Works best with a 2.5" exhaust system. The down pipe is 2.5" A high quality header will have holes pre drilled and threaded for O2 sensors. Power coating will be the heat inside the header pipes, but I would still suggest a high temp heat wrap

where'd u get this i can't find headers for the 6
oldskid33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #53
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskid33 View Post
Headers $600 to $900
4,2,1 or 4 to 1 headers for a 4 banger and 3 to 1 headers for 3400's move exhaust gases faster, and hotter. For a 3400 it adds about 20 HP at the wheels and is a very serious mod. Works best with a 2.5" exhaust system. The down pipe is 2.5" A high quality header will have holes pre drilled and threaded for O2 sensors. Power coating will be the heat inside the header pipes, but I would still suggest a high temp heat wrap

where'd u get this i can't find headers for the 6

http://www.headermania.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

feel free to pm me if you have any more performance questions lol
Old 05-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #54
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Just reading this old thread and wanted to post something about the alternator pulley argument. I think the alternator pulley will help. It wont help much, but it will help because while the alternator is constantly charging the battery it is doing so at a slower rate. It is kind of the same as geting the smaller water pump pulley. There will still be water (current) delivered, but not as much as with a regular sized pulley. That is why reddog said that the alt pulley is not recommended for big sound systems.
Valley olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #55
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Yep. Underdrive pulleys aren't that great. Better just to get lightened stock size pulleys.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #56
phillipandtabby
GX Member

phillipandtabby is on a distinguished road
How much horsepower does an alternator pull ? You can mathematically determine the horsepower cost at any given load. (Remember, alternators respond to load. If there is no load present the alternator is basically freewheeling.)

Amps x Volts = Watts
Watts / 745.7 (one HP) = Electrical HP Produced by the Alternator
HP x 15% Efficiency Loss = HP Loss
HP + HP Loss = Total HP Used

Example:
57A x 14.9V = 849.3 Watts
849.3 Watts / 745.7 = 1.14 HP
1.14 HP x 15% = 0.17 HP
1.14 + 0.17 = 1.31 HP Total

Now we know the cost to run the electrical system. The most important question is what is the payback ? Which way does the horsepower benefit you ?
phillipandtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #57
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipandtabby View Post
How much horsepower does an alternator pull ? You can mathematically determine the horsepower cost at any given load. (Remember, alternators respond to load. If there is no load present the alternator is basically freewheeling.)

Amps x Volts = Watts
Watts / 745.7 (one HP) = Electrical HP Produced by the Alternator
HP x 15% Efficiency Loss = HP Loss
HP + HP Loss = Total HP Used

Example:
57A x 14.9V = 849.3 Watts
849.3 Watts / 745.7 = 1.14 HP
1.14 HP x 15% = 0.17 HP
1.14 + 0.17 = 1.31 HP Total

Now we know the cost to run the electrical system. The most important question is what is the payback ? Which way does the horsepower benefit you ?

good job thread jesus...........
anyways alternator is more than 57A. for our aleros is 102A.
1519.8 Watts
1519.8/ 745.7 = 2.038 HP
2.038 X 15% = 0.3057
2.038 + 0.3057 = 2.3427 HP total

also don't forget about A/c compressor uses hp and everything else that is driven by the crank via belt.
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #58
phillipandtabby
GX Member

phillipandtabby is on a distinguished road
Sorry I'm only an electrician. But just needed to clear up some mis conceptions on the alternator and the power it consumes. The AC also pulls down power but thats outside of my expertise
phillipandtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #59
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silveralero View Post

This is a stickied thread...
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #60
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silveralero View Post
yea, but its a stickied thread and here for the reason of people seeing it and getting help. plus, he contributed to it instead of asking a question.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote