Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 04-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
daiglepatrick
GX Member

daiglepatrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Tie Rod Question...Please help

Here's the story....I brought my car in for an MVI earlier this week and they told me that I needed a left outer tie rod....Not a big deal. However, I checked my MVI receipt for last year and apperently I replaced both...but when I looked at them one has a grease nipple and the other (the one I need to replace) dosen't. My question is , has anyone ever seed an aftermarket Tie rod without a greas nipple. because I tought that parts without grease nipple usually ment original part.

I bought these parts and had the work done at a canadian tire.

I called the shop that did the work and told them that they charged me for 2 tie rodes last year and only replaced one....they say they replaced both....I asked "Why are they different?"...

If anyone has ever bought a tie rod that dosen't have a grease nipple please let me know.

Here are pics of both tie rods

thanks
Pat
daiglepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Nipple hehemmm

Anyways...I have never seen a tie rod that was after market without a grease nipple but I also noticed that the one that is aftermarket is the one leaking. Did you ask company why so soon?
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
the one without the nipple is OEM one and the one with the grease fitting is aftermarket. Maybe the shop that sold it to you had a OEM one laying around, then got one more from like autozone or somewhere????

But the one with the grease fitting.. looks like whoever installed it last time put too much grease and made the boot burst. How many miles has it been from last time u got those changed out?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Man I said that completely backwards...thanks aftermath
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
agreed, almost every single aftermarket tie rod comes with a grease fitting, as do ball joints etc...

I'd argue it out with em, the new one is leaking anyhow

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Dabode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AftermathAlero View Post
the one without the nipple is OEM one and the one with the grease fitting is aftermarket. Maybe the shop that sold it to you had a OEM one laying around, then got one more from like autozone or somewhere????

Not true. Some aftermarket tie rod ends have zerk fittings and some don't. I've been working part-time at an auto parts store for about 8 years, and it all depends. Some brands do, some brands don't. Even within the same brand, some cars do and others don't.