Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
daiglepatrick
GX Member

daiglepatrick is an unknown quantity at this point
ABS and Brake light on

My instrument shows two lights on....the abs and the brake/e-brake....I got the codes read and only got one

DTC U1040 Loss of Class 2 Communications with ABS

any Idea what my problem is...

Everything seems to work ok except I don't have ABS...The garage that
checked the codes said there was no communication between the ABS Control Module
and the onboard computer...either bad wire or bad module...I don't exaclty
thrust this garage so I'd like someone else opinion
daiglepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Usually when both are on its the dreaded wheel hubs from hell...

The bearing went out or the sensor.Either way its not really a cheap fix...
Old 11-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
What year is it?
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
daiglepatrick
GX Member

daiglepatrick is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2000 Alero...I don't think it's the Wheel hub assembly...The Track off and Service Vehicle Soon lights are not on...I've had to replace them before...more than once and everytime I had the ABS, Track Off and SVS lights on....never the brake light.

The code I got is a U1040....from What I understand U codes are network codes...which is why I think it may be the ABS Control module(the one in the front inner fender...behind the plastic guard in the wheel well)

Last edited by daiglepatrick : 11-03-2008 at 02:51 PM.
daiglepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Check the wires to it and check the plug on the wheel speed sensor.

Loss of Class 2 Communication With ABS is the error detail

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
have a bad well hub made any of your cars shimmy at high speeds and make a noise when the car weight shifts??? just wondering
Old 11-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
^^ That could be an alignment/wheel balance issue. I am having that same problem and I just took it in to get checked for tread seperation.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
have a bad well hub made any of your cars shimmy at high speeds and make a noise when the car weight shifts??? just wondering

could also maybe be strut mount plate going bad, which is the issue i have. when i hit the brakes hard sometimes, or go over a bump crooked, it clunks in the front of the car. havent noticed any major movement at high speeds tho.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:54 AM   #9
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
DTC U1001-U1254 Loss of XXX Communications

Circuit Description

Modules connected to the class 2 serial data circuit monitor for serial data communications during normal vehicle operation. Operating information and commands are exchanged among the modules. When a module receives a message for a critical operating parameter, the module records the identification number of the module which sent the message for State of Health monitoring (Node Alive messages). A critical operating parameter is one which, when not received, requires that the module use a default value for that parameter. Once an identification number is learned by a module, it will monitor for that module's Node Alive message. Each module on the class 2 serial data circuit which is powered and performing functions that require detection of a communications malfunction is required to send a Node Alive message every 2 seconds. When no message is detected from a learned identification number for 10 seconds, a DTC U1xxx (where xxx is equal to the three digit identification number) is set.

The control module ID number list below provides a method for determining which module is not communicating. A module with a class 2 serial data circuit malfunction or which loses power during the current ignition cycle will have a Loss of Communication DTC set by other modules that depend on information from that failed module. The modules that can communicate will set a DTC indicating the module that can not communicate.

Control Module

ID Number

Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)

Body Control Module (BCM)

Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

When more than one Loss of Communication DTC is set in either one module or in several modules, diagnose the DTCs in the following order:

Current DTCs before history DTCs unless told otherwise in the diagnostic table.
The DTC which is reported the most times.
From the lowest number DTC to the highest number DTC.
Conditions for Running the DTC

The vehicle power mode (ignition switch position) requires serial data communication to occur.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

A message from a learned identification number has not been detected for the past ten seconds.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

A current DTC will clear when a Node Alive message from the failed identification number is detected on the class 2 serial data circuit or at the end of the current ignition cycle.
A history DTC will clear upon receipt of a scan tool Clear DTCs command.
Diagnostic Aids

When multiple Loss of Communication DTCs are set concurrently, the cause is likely to be two opens in the class 2 serial data circuit. Use the Control Module ID Number list in order to determine which modules are not communicating. Use the class 2 serial data circuit schematic in order to determine the location of the opens. Refer to Data Link Connector (DLC) Schematics .
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote