Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 06-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Odd Headlight Adjustor

I finally received my new cleared corner headlights, my HIDS, chrome bulbs-the works. And together it all looks really good and all installs went well until it came time to align my headlights.

On my stock headlights the vertical adjuster is moved by a ball and socket system that is pushed and pulled by twisting the star shaped adjustor. However, this headlight has no play on its ball and socket-it looks like it connects straight into the chrome of the headlight; thus, my lovely new HID is locked blinding night birds in the freaking sky.

Has anyone ran into a headlight model like this or have any suggestions on how to manipulate it? It actually popped the adjusting piece out of the assembly because I was trying to get it lower and the adjustor gives, but not the actually ball and socket that is supposed to.

Frustrating.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
bump and also there is a spring that is connected to his low beam cup for some reason.. i have a set of headlights that also have this, and they are crap to adjust.

they are laying around here somewhere so i will post a pic of it once i find it for some help maybe.

sorry xander about your lights, im happy that i helped you and cleared your corners, if you need to send another one my way you are free to do so.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
found em, anyone ever order a set of headlights and have a spring in the low and hi beam cup?? out of the 4 headlight pairs i have... this is the only one with them and idk why its there... xander also has this in his headlights that he is talking about.

Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
perhaps its an atempt to keep the lens from vibrating

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Vibration isn't the issue so much as I cannot vertically adjust these. It is the strangest thing. A unique feature Nathan is referring to is the fact that there are springs in the hi/low openings.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Figured it out. That spring that you see in the picture-it has to be removed. Jawa was probably right about something to do with vibration during shipping etc. etc. Anyway, what a pain in the ass and something to keep in mind if you buy headlights from andy's or autoanything-can't remember which one I got them from.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
anyone ever have a solution to a broken adjuster? I have a housing that doesn't adjust and the other one vibrates rapidly whenever i hit a small bump in the road causing the light to bounces all over the place for a few seconds.

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

depends how its broken, send a pic and ill let you know, if not i may be able to ship you new adjuster hardware i think i might have some laying around. you could swap out the bad ones and maybe that would fix it, but show me a pic of where its messed up i might be able to help you.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
Black_Mamba
GX Member

Black_Mamba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Black_Mamba
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
I finally received my new cleared corner headlights, my HIDS, chrome bulbs-the works. And together it all looks really good and all installs went well until it came time to align my headlights.

On my stock headlights the vertical adjuster is moved by a ball and socket system that is pushed and pulled by twisting the star shaped adjustor. However, this headlight has no play on its ball and socket-it looks like it connects straight into the chrome of the headlight; thus, my lovely new HID is locked blinding night birds in the freaking sky.

Has anyone ran into a headlight model like this or have any suggestions on how to manipulate it? It actually popped the adjusting piece out of the assembly because I was trying to get it lower and the adjustor gives, but not the actually ball and socket that is supposed to.

Frustrating.

I had got into a little front end collision a month or 2 back and the new headlights i put on were like that. couldnt see nothing but the moon with my lights. i depended on my fog lights to see at night which is a drag because they arent hids. i got a pair of headlights from a fellow aleromod member and i can see perfect now. but before that, i tried everything possible, it wasnt happening for me

2001 GLS 3.4L Coupe "Black Mamba"

Mods: K&N Cold Air Intake, 8000k H.I.D. Low Beam, 3000k H.I.D. Fog Lights.
Wants: SLP Exhaust, Ported UIM & LIM, 65mm TB, Lowering Springs, Rims, Black Interior.
Black_Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Yeah, the spring was just to hold them for shipping I imagine.

For the rattling headlight, Nathan is right. Need to see what it is. Through trial and error I have found that there are multiple places the adjustor can detach and the light is let loose.

1. The ball and socket came out
2. The adjust is plastic, the screw may have stripped it
3. The black part of the adjustor may not be "plugged" into the housing
Old 12-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

Yea, I took my lights out and gave them a good lookover and noticed the black adjuster piece on the outside is stripped out. What would happen if I glued it onto that post?

Done lost my mind
Old 12-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
sleepyalero
GLS member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhubbz View Post
Yea, I took my lights out and gave them a good lookover and noticed the black adjuster piece on the outside is stripped out. What would happen if I glued it onto that post?

i did that a long time ago. basically a bitch to adjust. when mine did that i had to use a pair of pliers, pull the post out while aiming the headlight and make a mark, then take the headlight out and hot glue it in place. (the post)

sucks, wouldnt recommend it. just buy a new light thats what i had to do.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
i did that a long time ago. basically a bitch to adjust. when mine did that i had to use a pair of pliers, pull the post out while aiming the headlight and make a mark, then take the headlight out and hot glue it in place. (the post)

sucks, wouldnt recommend it. just buy a new light thats what i had to do.

grrrrr, yea i will buy new ones eventually. i don't want to start a projector project and screw up my only pair of headlights lol. Thanks sleepy.

Done lost my mind
Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

The black piece has popped out? My question would be: what caused it to pop out? When I had the issue with the springs, I removed the spring, popped it back in and sealed it with some glue. Haven't had any issues so far.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

No, this piece is stripped out. I think how this works, the black piece turns and screws that post in and out, adjusting the housing up and down. If I glue this piece back on, the housing will stay in place and will not bounce up and down anymore, but will also lose the ability to adjust it.

I've also noticed the other adjuster black cogs seem to be seized onto the post. I don't want to try and pry the black piece off if it is supposed to be like that though. If anyone has clarification on this, please let me know!!

Done lost my mind