Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 09-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
undersc0re
GX Member

undersc0re is on a distinguished road
Wiper motor erratic no washer pump

I started with a bad motor, it would have a hard time finding home position for wipers, and when I pressed washer button nothing happenned. I threw a new motor in there, the new one was in a box not sealed in plastic or anything and I threw it in and it does pretty much the same thing except I get a little more action out of it than my original. Is it possible I got a bad motor? Is there anything else that happens on these cars for the wiper action to fail.
undersc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
If it's affecting both your wipers and your washer, bad multifunction switch maybe?
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
undersc0re
GX Member

Ok, I am just gonna wire in a button beside the steering wheel for washer fluid, who knows if I got another bad pump or there is a short somewhere, does anyone know where and what color wire I can cut and tap into, I know how to just cut it at the washer pump, but that would be a long run. Thx.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
Do you know for sure that wiring in a switch for the fluid will even work? Have you tested to see if you are getting power at the fluid pump? If you are getting power there and the pump doesn't work, then replace your pump. If not, then look elsewhere, like maybe the multifunction switch. Seems easier to properly troubleshoot it as opposed to wiring in a whole new switch which may not solve your problem. Just my 2 cents.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersc0re View Post
Ok, I am just gonna wire in a button beside the steering wheel for washer fluid, who knows if I got another bad pump or there is a short somewhere, does anyone know where and what color wire I can cut and tap into, I know how to just cut it at the washer pump, but that would be a long run. Thx.

Yeah, don't do that.

Is the wire plug sitting in the terminal fully? This happens if the plug isn't seated properly

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
undersc0re
GX Member

So the new motor needed the electronic sweeping wheel cleaned of the grease and it works, wow talk about quality control. The washer pump does not work unless I attach 12v to the pump at the reservoir, now does anyone know if it is just the button on the side of the steering wheels wiper washer control that directly does the power feed or if the bcm or a relay somewhere does the job? Just thought I would throw that question out before going any further with this issue.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
bkathsalero
GL Member

bkathsalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bkathsalero
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersc0re View Post
So the new motor needed the electronic sweeping wheel cleaned of the grease and it works, wow talk about quality control. The washer pump does not work unless I attach 12v to the pump at the reservoir, now does anyone know if it is just the button on the side of the steering wheels wiper washer control that directly does the power feed or if the bcm or a relay somewhere does the job? Just thought I would throw that question out before going any further with this issue.

probably a multifunction switch, have someone push the button while you test the terminal for power and ground
Old 10-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
undersc0re
GX Member

We tried to get power at the pump connection but we couldn't get anything. I just hope now that it will be the switch! Any tips on pulling that thing apart or replacing it?
Old 10-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
undersc0re
GX Member

Ok, so I pulled the plastic pieces apart and out from behind the steering wheel to access the wire harness plug to the wiper washer control, Yellow was constant power and the red was supposed to be +12v washer pump feed when button pressed. I got no power at the red there so I unplugged the harness plug again and jumped the red over to the yellow with the key on and BAM the washer fluid worked. Still was cheap and put a door bell button just down by the key/steering wheel area with red/yellow wires tapped to it. Works great now, just costed me a little bit of solder and time and 8 inches of wire. Thought I would finish this thread off as problem solved, Yellow is a constant +12v and the red feeds it to the pump when that washer button is pressed, only when the button is working properly. I should have started there before checking everything else, oh ya and wasting 100 bux on a wiper motor which was flawed.