Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 02-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Oil Additives - thumbs up or down?

I am already predicting thumbs down but there is one brand that has me wondering. My dad swears on "Slick 50" - in the days before synthetic oil was widely available to the general public, we owned many many GM vehicles because my dad could buy them with his GM discount, drive them for a year, and sell them and make money. Every single vehicle got a Slick 50 treatment and it seems to have at the very least not hurt any of the engines. Some of our vehicles were sold to family members who still drive them to this day. My uncle bought our 1993 Chevy S-10 with the 4.3 v6 and kept up the slick 50 treatment and he now has over 400,000 on the original stock internals. Our 92 Lumina is also still on the road with well over 200K, belonging to a family friends son who beats the piss out of it. So question, does this stuff actually work? It appears to but I don't know whats in it that is it's "active ingredient" or whatnot?

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Probably similar to Lucas Oil treatment....

it makes the oil more viscous, and therefore coats the parts better. Essentially... buy heavier oil.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never used any oil additives.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
we use an additive called BG MOA. i guess it keeps the oil from breaking down so you can go 5,000 miles between oil changes. i have used it for 9 months now since I've been at the shop i'm at and 90% of our oil change customers choose it also. seems to work great and i have had no problems with it. i don't think its available at auto parts stores but i think you can get it online.
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
if you never used it from almost day 1 don't bother starting to unless you plan to do it every and single oil change.

think of it as this going to synthetic to reg then synthetic and reg all your going to do is cause leaks around the seals