Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-17-2011, 02:11 AM   #1
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
a couple questions

ive got some things ive been wondering so i clumped them into 1 thread :P

1. our front fenders are plastic, right? if so is there some cheap touch up paint that i can use to cover some gashes in it?

2. the leather around my steering wheel has hideous yellow staining ALL around it. is there anything i can do to get rid of it? (tried mothers leather cleaner, didnt work.)

3. is there a way to clean fallout (tiny rust specs) and other hard to clean gunk around the emblems/badges without harming them?

4. sometimes when i get gas and restart my car, the dash lights will be fairly dimmer than usual until i i drive for a couple minutes, then they suddenly return to normal... wtf is up with that? it ONLY happens when i get gas.

thats all i can think of for right now xD

oh and also is there any way to change my username? its starting to weird me out.
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
1. fenders are metal. really?

username no, ask an administrator

you should come to the Alero Show and Olds Homecoming Show in Lansing next month, father's day weekend.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
lol, my bad. i assumed its made out of plastic because the metal is really thin in the very front/grill area and seems like plastic.

also, i wont be able to join due to my graduation party on that saturday, plus ill be at my dads on fathers day.

Last edited by mastershake : 05-17-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Nope fenders are metal. Knock on it with your knuckle and see if its plastic. Metal and plastic make different noises And very easy to tell what's what..

Steering wheel.. might have to get a new one.. or buy a steering wheel cover.

As for the rust/dirt specs... try bug and tar remover for cars. Might help.. (not with the rust of course though. That you could sand/repaint it or replace the bumper/trunk panel piece.)

As for The gas issue.. idk maybe you hit the dash light knob every once and awhile and slighty dim it then turn it back on idk lol.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:21 AM   #5
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
actually its a white car, it prob needs to be detar'd from rail dust or brake dust as that can cause rust looking spots ( really tiny spots ) but then again it could just be rust and that won't go away
Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
Jroc26
GX Member

Jroc26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Use a claybar on the paint, should take all the fallout out and leave it nice and smooth, wax it after. Maybe try simple green mixed with water on the steering wheel to get the staining out, test it in a small spot first to make sure it doesn't discolour the leather. As for the dash lights, I dunno thats a weird one.
Jroc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #7
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistershakez View Post
ive got some things ive been wondering so i clumped them into 1 thread :P

1. our front fenders are plastic, right? if so is there some cheap touch up paint that i can use to cover some gashes in it?

2. the leather around my steering wheel has hideous yellow staining ALL around it. is there anything i can do to get rid of it? (tried mothers leather cleaner, didnt work.)

3. is there a way to clean fallout (tiny rust specs) and other hard to clean gunk around the emblems/badges without harming them?

4. sometimes when i get gas and restart my car, the dash lights will be fairly dimmer than usual until i i drive for a couple minutes, then they suddenly return to normal... wtf is up with that? it ONLY happens when i get gas.

thats all i can think of for right now xD

oh and also is there any way to change my username? its starting to weird me out.

1. If you have gashes, most likely some cheap touch up paint will make it look like cheaply covered up gashes. Cars as old as ours are just simple dinged up a little bit. My philosophy is if it is going to be done, do it right and put it back to normal whether by researching the appropriate method or saving up to pay someone to do it.

2. Google "wheelskin steering wheel covers." I just bought one, and they are well reviewed and have a color that really comes close to all stock models. Our steering wheels have a sewn on look cover to begin with so it fits well.

3. I haven't tried it, but google "rust release." They have a gel that eats rust and is supposedly very paint friendly. Other than that, get it professionally detailed and see if they have a way to buff it out.

4. How old is your battery? Until your alternator warms things up so to speak, your car runs on battery power which is not as much as an alternator adding the juice to it.

Just a couple simple sugggestions but I hope they help.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistershakez View Post
also, i wont be able to join due to my graduation party on that saturday, plus ill be at my dads on fathers day.

Just come Friday if you're relatively close. I showed up in '07 although my graduation party was on that Saturday.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
mastershake
GL Member

thanks guys. ive already clayed the car and polished/waxed it but am just having trouble cleaning like INSIDE the emblems lol. also for the whole dash light thing i guess i might need a new battery

as for the ASS meet, i probably wouldnt be able to come anyways because my car is currently still getting 16 miles to the gallon on the highway until i get a new cat, and with gas being so high and me having no job to get gas, it doesnt seem feasible. i will try next year!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
is the gas station dark when you fill up? im wondering if your headlights are actually on and dim untill your drls turn on. just an idea. if your unsure leave your high beams on see if the indicator comes on at all after getting gas.