Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
bkathsalero
GL Member

bkathsalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bkathsalero
Need Expert Help

So heres the deal. My car has been sitting for a year with no injectors. FINALLY GOT EM IN!!! so while reparing that I did a lower intake gasket set, Water Pump, Thermostat, MSD coils,new wires and belt. Well now my car cranks over but the fuel pump dosnt work. SO NO FUEL. Easy. SO to see if it runs I tried spraying carb cleaner in the TB to bypass the fuel system. STILL not even a burp of it running. I have spark I know that. Engine backfires out of TB once in awhile when cranking. So the trouble I'm having is Why the hell isnt it starting when carb cleaner is introduced. Every car I get at work with a fuel pump out we spray to pull in and it works good. Any help would be awesome. This thing is killing me!!!

P.S. over the year I swapped a grand am interior dash and all. Kinda different
bkathsalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Well, when a fuel pump starts going, there is still some residual fuel in the lines and a little bit of pressure. So the spray of carb cleaner is just a little boost. In your case, you replaced the injectors so theres no residual fuel at all, and the carb cleaner alone may not be enough.

If you know for certain that the fuel pump is bad, then just replace it and see what happens.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
bkathsalero
GL Member

Sorry left a few details out. My cars bcm was bad too,so i swapped the one out of my parts grand am into my car along with pcm to keep vins the same. Also fuel pump was working when i first tried starting. Well the fuel return line wasnt tight and was shooting fuel so i tore back down to tighten that and put a o ring on the line. once it was back together the fuel pump wouldn't kick on when key was cycled. So fuel is in the lines. I will replace fuel pump tonight but i'm sure it stillwont start ifit couldnt kick over with carb cleaner
Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
I know it sounds stupid, but check your connections and your fuses. If the pump worked when you first tried starting but now it doesn't, it sounds like something happened, and my first guess would be fuses or connections.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal_awakening View Post
I know it sounds stupid, but check your connections and your fuses. If the pump worked when you first tried starting but now it doesn't, it sounds like something happened, and my first guess would be fuses or connections.

or just happened at the same time
Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
bkathsalero
GL Member

fuses are good replaced the pump relay, I'm happy i'm not the only one confused
Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Blktrax
GX Member

Blktrax is on a distinguished road
Well theres a lot of reasons carb cleaner isnt starting fluid, beside the point of this isnt a lawn mower. Beside the back-burp thats a recipe for no eyebrows.

Anyway, what you need to get is a fuel pressure tester, and see how much pressure there is. Just becuse there is fuel doesnt mean theres enough of it to run. Other issues could be a kinked or crimped fuel line under the hood or under the car. Also for sitting that long you may have water in the fuel or the fuel filter is full of crap the pump picked up.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
you can't just swap PCMs and expect it to work. there's your problem.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
bkathsalero
GL Member

Just got home, gunna go wrench and try a new fuel pump. Beacause ther is NO PRESSURE at all. and you can swap pcms if they are the same motor and both 2dr "or 4 door" but you have to swap bcm 2 to match vins "both have to come from same car" I'll still get them both flashed but it will work for start up.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Well did you relearn the ignition? That would be a good reason why its not sending fuel.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkathsalero View Post
Just got home, gunna go wrench and try a new fuel pump. Beacause ther is NO PRESSURE at all. and you can swap pcms if they are the same motor and both 2dr "or 4 door" but you have to swap bcm 2 to match vins "both have to come from same car" I'll still get them both flashed but it will work for start up.

is it from a gt or an se?

i would turn the key to the on position and listen for the pump to turn on before you switch it out.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
bkathsalero
GL Member

code p1626 Anti theft system fuel enable circut

had to perform passlock
Car runs great now
Old 08-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

so you are successfully using a grand am se pcm and bcm?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
bkathsalero
GL Member

yes sir and did'nt flash it or anything, runs like a champ
Old 08-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

excellent, good to know. the gt of course has a different final drive ratio so that would cause some problems.

does your state have a yearly inspection? could cause some issues with the VINs being different if it requires diagnostics.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #16
bkathsalero
GL Member

no they dont. but heres a f'd up stroy

So i got to my local gm dealer today "Harry Browns", to have my pcm and bcm flashed to match my vin, just to make this final and done. So I pull in to have it flashed and I'm talking to the tech. So i'm talking to hime telling him how I swapped interior and bcm and pcm cause my old ones are shot. And that I think the bcm that was out of my parts car was junk but had to put it in to match vins so I could drive it. And had a new bcm on the seat to swap in. He says he cant do that cuz it's a chopped up car and the harneses is different and bcm's cant learn no vins. I tell him yes they can cuz my 2001 grand am I had my girlfriend follow me there in has a used bcm in it. He blabbers on how It wont ever work and that They are not the same car and I messed up on such a project and that the bcm is under the steering column not the glovebox. So I tell him I'm a tech also but dont have the computer to flash and thats all i want. He tells me to eff off and do it myslef then. So I looked at his box seen a 8 drawer (est) box and say have fun changin oil u f'ing jack*** "cuz thats what he was doin when i pulled in" and peeled out of the shop. So I call the mnager and tell him his tech is a royal retard and he tells me hes a master certified gm tech. I ask how he couldnt figure out that the cars are the same, bcm under glovebox and the reason for gauges not working is the bcm, wth, So i'm wondering if anybody knows how I can report them cause they dont know what there doin over there