Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
red99ws6
GX Member

red99ws6 is on a distinguished road
Coolant Leak

I have a 99 Alero 2.4L. It seems like about once every 3-4 weeks the low coolant light comes on and I check it and it is usually only about 1/2 gallon low. I cant find anywhere where it is leaking and the temp. gauge is steady at about the half way point all the time until the low coolant light comes on and it goes between the half way and the next mark. not too hot but just above normal. you can barely smell antifreeze if you sit in traffic for a while and get out. im thinking maybe water pump, but it isnt howling or leaking that i can see. any suggestions would be appreciated.
red99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
well everyone knows with the 3.4 upper n lower intake manifold gaskets, I can only suggest takin a look at them on your 2.4, and try looking at the back collant pipes, car is almost 10 years old those coolant pipes are bound to bust soon, i went through one in front and one in rear and my upper and lower, but again i have a 99 3.4L

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
deathwish666
GL Member

deathwish666 is on a distinguished road
i had this problem a while ago when i didnt really know what was what in the engine so i brought it to midas to get fixed...$350 for everything...they told me it was a fitting on the radiator..i asked to see it but they just blew me off
coming soon: some led's, better subs
deathwish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
red99ws6
GX Member

i replaced the intake gasket on it when i got it. my wife called me earlier and said she pulled up to get gas and there was a trail behind her. i was still working so i got my mechanic to go look at it. the problem before was nothing was wet, problem now is everything is wet. im going to let him figure it out. the engine is a 2004 crate motor but everything else is 9 years old so i dont know.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGen1Alero View Post
well everyone knows with the 3.4 upper n lower intake manifold gaskets, I can only suggest takin a look at them on your 2.4

Check area around head and block meeting for headgasket leaks, and all those rubber hoses coming from the coolant reservoir and radiator and such.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
red99ws6
GX Member

i lucked out this time. it was the plastic thermastat housing. 15 bucks and antifreeze and good as new.