Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 10-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #41
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
i believe they sell either the bearing for it or the entire assemb.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #42
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
You might be able to disassemble the tensioner, but it's not generally a serviceable part. I think what you can buy is either the whole assembly, or just the pulley. Maybe it's the bearing like Gr1m said, but I think it's the pulley that's available. So you would have to get a used tensioner, and it really wouldn't be worth the trouble. Not to mention, getting it back together and being certain that it's reliable would be difficult.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #43
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
You can't replace the bearing in the (plastic) tensioner pulley. You can however replace the bearing in the two (metal) idler pulleys. (Timken #203FF)
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #44
bryan213
GX Member

bryan213 is on a distinguished road
y dont u just get a belt tentioner tool? like 50 bucks
bryan213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #45
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
You can't replace the bearing in the (plastic) tensioner pulley. You can however replace the bearing in the two (metal) idler pulleys. (Timken #203FF)

Good info there Cliff. I changed out both of mine today. One of them was making a squeeking noise anytime i was over 1000 rpms. 11 bucks for the two bearings, they wanted $17 for one idler pulley. Someone sticky that info please.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #46
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I finally got around to changing out this belt. I've only driven the car twice since I put the belt in, but so far no squeaking. The old belt had a lot of cracks in it (on the inside part). Was worse than I had expected, given that it only had 26,135 miles on it.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #47
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan213 View Post
y dont u just get a belt tentioner tool? like 50 bucks

it makes it so much easier.
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #48
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
I finally got around to changing out this belt. I've only driven the car twice since I put the belt in, but so far no squeaking. The old belt had a lot of cracks in it (on the inside part). Was worse than I had expected, given that it only had 26,135 miles on it.

those inside cracks are what matters when you are visibly inspecting the serp.
Mine was replaced 3 years ago, maybe drove 100 miles since and just from sitting it has cracked, and i will need a new one soon....but no sound as of last time I drove it (month ago)

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #49
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I thought about posting a picture of the belt, but I'm sure that you have seen something just like it. Slightly worse than this one I found on the internet:

zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #50
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
yup typical wear and tear cracks.....i beleive those cracks are what causes the squealing

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #51
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
So here's an on-topic question while we're discussing belt lengths. I went to find a new belt for my 2003, and the guy behind the parts counter asks me if it was "early or late design". Apparently there are two different lengths for a 2003 V6, one is 8.7" and the other is 8.64" How do we actually determine proper belt length? I told the guy that with a tensioner, either one would likely work. How do we know?

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #52
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
I believe they changed the alternator in mid '03. Possibly the bracket too.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #53
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
well, I'm about to drop in the FFP UDP, and it would probably be a good idea to know what size I'll need, LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #54
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
well, I'm about to drop in the FFP UDP, and it would probably be a good idea to know what size I'll need, LOL

take a string and run it around the pullys like if it was stock ...

take it to a parts store and check the string on the belt checker to find your belt size...
Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #55
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

good idea.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #56
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by A57 View Post
take a string and run it around the pullys like if it was stock ...

take it to a parts store and check the string on the belt checker to find your belt size...

How does that work, if the belt is off, isn't the tensioner at maximum extension?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #57
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

dammit. bad idea. I'm so confused...LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #58
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
dammit. bad idea. I'm so confused...LOL

You can get different diameter idlers, 3.5 and 3.25 off cars at salvage yards, too. That's what I did when I changed to smaller SC pulleys. That's for swapping the lower idler. Mid-90s Taurus has a 3.25 that fits, iirc....Also, I have found different diameter tensioner pulleys on replacements sold at Autozone.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #59
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

I'm just going to measure the intact belt I have now, and get 1.5" shorter.