Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Goodman
GX Member

Goodman is on a distinguished road
Transmission oil check?

My transmission been acting up lately maybe because of the long & cold winter we had...

I am pretty sure my transmission is still ok but i could be wrong?
My transmission is working just fine since spring is here & since we got warmer temperature , although sometime when the engine is cold the transmission will take a long time to switch to second gear & goes up to about 4000rpm while to car move real slow but if a give a little gas the car move faster so it doesn't seems to be slipping

I wanted to save money as much as i can so i first want to check the oil level , if that is ok then i'll go & change the oil + filter but if it happens to be the transmission then I'll probably just buy another car...

Anyhow I've done some search on the net on how to check Alero transmission oil some say got to be check a the dealer or a garage or checking by removing the plug... what plug??
The only one that I know of is the big red one where you can put oil in , does this is the same plug they are talking about to check to oil level?

Thanks!

Last edited by Goodman : 04-19-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
Should be a red plug below thermostat housing area..you have a 3.4 right?
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Goodman
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01OhioAlero View Post
Should be a red plug below thermostat housing area..you have a 3.4 right?

Yes! it's the 3.4l , so it is the same "plug" cap that I was thinking about
Any tips on what to use to check the oil level?
Don't want to dip my finger in while the engine is running really bad idea imo... & where the level should be at when checking oil?

thanks! again
Old 04-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
It does not have a dip stick. It is a sealed transmission.

Only way to check the fluid level is there is a bolt on the passenger side behind the wheel on the side of the transmission... ive done it once but its been a long time bcause my car is now manual.

But...

1. Car has to be on level ground. Do not jack up the car!
2. Start car and let it run.
3. Remember LEVEL GROUND
4. Pull bolt out on passanger side.
5. Once bolt is out. If fluid flows out it has enough fluid.
6. If no fluid flows out, you need to add fluid while car is running until fluid comes out of the hole then put the bolt back in. (I suggest 2 people if you need to add fluid)

I cant really tell you which bolt exactly. But its on passanger side, towards front of vehicle behind the front of the tire.

ALSO keep wheels straight when doing this.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 04-19-2014 at 07:40 PM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Not so fast, the tranny oil is hard to check, its done from under the car.....

I gotta get dinner right now though
Old 04-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
Yes! it's the 3.4l , so it is the same "plug" cap that I was thinking about Any tips on what to use to check the oil level?
Don't want to dip my finger in while the engine is running really bad idea imo... & where the level should be at when checking oil? thanks! again

No....no..no..no.

First, technically it's transmission fluid and not oil. The red cap is only used to add more fluid if needed, but you can't check the fluid level from there. To check the trans fluid level, the car needs to be perfectly level either on a lift or up on jack stands. Start the engine and run the gear shift lever through all of the gears and then back to park. With the engine still running, go under the car (with small pan to catch fluid) and remove the bolt on the left side of the transmission right behind the engine oil pan to check fluid level. If fluid runs out when the bolt is removed, wait until it stops dripping and re-install the bolt. If no fluid runs out, then remove the red cap at the top and add fluid until you see it start running out the bolt hole into the catch pan and stop. Let the fluid stop dripping and re-install the bolt and you're done. Note: NEVER do this procedure with the engine off because too much fluid will be lost and left at an incorrect level.

Use Castrol Dexron VI trans fluid and in your case I'd add some Lucas Trans Fix which might help with your problem. I'm fortunate that I can do this procedure at the end of my driveway without jacking up the car, so if you can find a level spot to park that still lets you slide up under the front of the car far enough to remove the bolt like I do, then that will work too.

You can see the tiny bolt in this picture on the lower left side of the trans. Sorry I don't have a pointer arrow.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Starglow : 04-19-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
The bolt is on the pass side. It needs and 11mm socket to remove.

Car does have to be running and everything needs to be hot. You cannot check this by starting up the car and raisng it up.

It's on the side of the transmission and it's kinda up there. You can check it on the ground, its a PITA, but it can be done

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
mine needs checked, may just have it serviced, has been about 90k miles since it has been done anyways
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

aleros_eat_rice is on a distinguished road
Just checked mine and to my surprise, it wasn't low, and what came out was a nice red color, didn't smell burnt and didn't have any metal filings in it. I cut it off with the plug out and let a little drain out and replaced with Lucas Trans stop slip.

So even with 263k miles, it wasn't low, and the fluid that came out was okay. The first owner may have had the fluid changed or flushed, but I didn't see it in the book he gave me with all of the service records. I'll have to ask if he did it to find out.

On the unlikely chance he never got the fluid changed, I guess I'm in okay shape.
275,000 miles as of 05-14-2015 at 1559 est (3:59 pm)
Planned mods: F body front brake upgrade, ported UIM, LX9 top swap, ported exhaust mans, performance cam. Eventually, turbo or supercharger.
1999 Olds Bravada, 4300 Vortec v6, 4L60E. Current mods (on it when I bought it):
75mm ported throttle body, NGK stage 1 plugs, stage 1 heads.
Planned mods: injector upgrade, exhaust headers
aleros_eat_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Despite how much people like us hate it, GM wasnt entirely crazed when they made the sealed system. Unless your leaking fluid (I assume you've cheaked around seals and for puddles) then it should be perfectly fine. Majority of the time your fluid will be right on level due to how its made. Regular flushes and servicing should not however be neglected. If the trans is not slipping and hanging onto gears then I wouldnt think you have a problem. Hanging onto gears a bit when its cold isnt necessarily bad, depending on what the computer sees of course, its trying to warm things to running temperature. automatic transmissions are very temperamental and more effected by weather in my experience. IMO you would be wasting your time checking it, if you feel like there is a problem go ahead with the flush/filter and fill to exactly OE spec and go from there.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Goodman
GX Member

I am kind of late but I finally just started to drain my oil transmission & change my filter while I was removing bolts from the pan I just notice that transmission hoses that goes from the transmission to radiator were rusty & one seems to be leaking , I'm going to change them both

Anyhow I think that was the problem I was running low on fluid transmission as I empty the transmission fluid only 3 liters came out from the pan

My question is , since the transmission should have 6.4l of oil & it only came out 3l of it , how much is left in the torque converter .5-1l more?

I am thinking of putting 5l right now & seen how it goes , what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Last edited by Goodman : 11-15-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Put in 3 liters, start engine and add until fluid comes out check hole. That simple.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
Goodman
GX Member

Well too late I guess...

I put 5 liters in & drove about 18km & the transmission shift so nice & smooth it's almost like having a brand new one , it doesn't slip anymore but it didn't get all the "power" torque back
Could having too much oil (1-2l) makes the transmission working worst? (I think not but not 100% sure?)
As far as I know having too much oil/fluid is only bad to blow gasket or seals

Or maybe all it needs is another liter of transmission fluid?

As far as the check plug it's not easy to reach if you don't jack the car up (unless your thin) or have long arms , really stupid idea from GM to not have an transmission dip stick...
Old 11-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Too much fluid can cause airation. Not filling and draining to proper level is just silly to put it kindly. Have respect for your ride and do it right.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
As far as the check plug it's not easy to reach if you don't jack the car up (unless your thin) or have long arms , really stupid idea from GM to not have an transmission dip stick...

The transmission depends on proper fluid pressure to operate so you don't want to guess as to how much fluid is in there. Too much is just as bad as too little. Find yourself a level driveway with a rather sharp drop off to the street. Park the car so the front tires are just at the edge of the driveway before it drops off which allows you plenty of access under the front of the car without jacking it up. My driveway is like that and that's where I do oil changes and check the trans fluid level. Cars bottom out on it all the time entering & exiting too fast but it's perfect for working under them.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
kbubb91
GX Member

kbubb91 is on a distinguished road
what transmission fluid does an alero use? i dont want to put in the wrong one
Old 10-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ Dextron III

The bottle will say "For late model GM cars and trucks" and it's the same stuff for my 30 year old Delta

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote