Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-20-2003, 01:25 PM   #1
3.4Alero

Quote:
Originally posted by mfuller+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mfuller)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>All:

We've been waiting for this to happen for some time, and now there is light at the end of the tunnel.
In mid to late March, I will be travelling to Troy, MI to have Digital Horsepower (DHP) tune my PCM. If their results from Grand Prix applications are any indication, this should be very exciting.

What can you expect? I haven't any details from DHP representatives yet, but expect modified air/fuel and spark tables, increased transmission line pressure for firmer shifts, and a raised speed governor. Other options may include thermostat temperature change, final drive change, and forced induction applications.....but, the base package should be applicable to cars with a cat-back exhaust and cold-air intake of any brand. Premium fuel will likely be a requirement. I don't want to speculate on what gains we might see, so please don't ask yet.

No concrete information on price yet, but 3800 applications are about $300, so I'd expect ours to be in the same ballpark. I'll keep this thread updated as I receive more information.[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by mfuller+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mfuller)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Sorry I didn't get in touch with any of you local guys. I left my house at 4pm on Friday afternoon and rolled into the hotel at a bit after 1am MI time - yep, long-arse drive.

Anyway, I can't really report on my car, as there were some problems (On the third dyno pull after establishing 2 consistent baseline pulls, my car decided to puke out all of it's coolant....at 140mph! Made quite a mess, and to make matters worse, this happened at about midnight.) Anyway, my car made 162HP at the wheels - about 205HP at the crank - on a stock calibration; the car committed radiator-suicide before we could tune for power. I'm guessing from what the other NA cars did, there's another 6-8WHP in there. That may not sound like much, but it's a consistant gain across the entire rev band.

There are still a few software niggles to work out, so don't everyone get too jumpy yet (I am surprised my car even runs; DHP didn't have a 2000 base cal so they cut-and-pasted in a 1999 calibration! These guys are incredibly talented.) Once I get a new radiator drain plug installed, DHP and I will get together again and test some more. Once again, this was just a beta test, so it may be a while yet before these are offered for sale. But at least now ya'll know what you can expect.[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
How has the ASE chip worked out for you? Did you consider any other products, like Jet? What are your HP gains? Torque?
Quote:
Originally posted by Aleromi99
Well fromwhat ASE said about or up to 20hp gain at the engine...
torque about 205-215 stock is 195-200 But these numbers are from what they have , I havent really wanted to put my car on a dyno due to cost..

But if DHP doest it right there i'm N for this...

Just woundering if this will work if u get a turbo? or SC?

Anyway ASE is nice and u get rid of the pesky speed limiter....
<!--QuoteBegin-Final-Reality
@
Most likely the ECU wont have tables for boost, its something they could probably add (neon will probably have to clarify on that one...), but they wouldnt be able to do it unless they knew how much boost you were adding, if you have new injectors etc etc... pretty complicated stuff which is why its so expensive[/quote]
<!--QuoteBegin-14dot3_Neon

I can't add a whole lot to this, but I do know that once you go over 1 bar on a 1 bar map/maf sensor (which non turbo cars have) it will just pound the fuel in an almost constant stream. Not too good for precision.

It is workable for light boost apps tho.
[/quote]
Old 11-20-2003, 01:36 PM   #2
3.4Alero

Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Final-Reality)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I didnt even think the sensor would even properly read a positive intake pressure... are you sure the injectors will just start dumping fuel? It doesnt sound like something programmers would program into injector pulse tables... [/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by 14dot3_Neon+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (14dot3_Neon)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>It won't read over 1 bar, but it will lock on 1 bar and stay there. Usually at that level a lot of N/A computers have the injectors running full open anyway. Part of the reason for this is that a high MAP/MAF indicates a high load so fuel is sprayed even while the valves are closed strictly to cool them down.

I know this is the case with the Ford EEC system, the Neon system and the EFI that was in my Suzuki many moons ago. I don't imagine the GM folks would do much different. [/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality
hmm I suppose, but I doubt you can run much boost before you're running lean even with the injectors wide open

Quote:
Originally posted by Aleromi99
Well the person we should as on that is this guy name homegrown over at the GAGT boards.. He is the only 3400 alero i know that has a turbo..

Quote:
Originally posted by kwicslvr
I tried a jet in my GP and it sucked A$$. Many other's in the Gp community and others I keep base with have said the same. ASE is okay but compared to DHP, well next to DHP there is no other that can compare. It was definately the best purchase I made.

Quote:
Originally posted by 14dot3_Neon
Mopar Now tested the Jet chips for the Neona couple years back. The dyno results showed that the Jet chip **LOST** 5% peak horsepower when compared to the stock ECU.

The car felt faster off the line, but wasn't. The Jet advanced the timing (which gave a bit of a low power boost) and removed the speed limited and that's it! The car also ran REALLY hot due to the timing advance.

I wouldn't put one of those in to a car I was going to sell.

Quote:
Originally posted by DiMedici
The JET module for the Alero, as opposed to the JET chip they tested (not available for Aleros), doesn't advance the timing or remove the limiter, it taps into MAP and MAF sensors and a couple others and plays with their readings. Same company, different product, but that doesn't necessarily bode well.

Quote:
Originally posted by 14dot3_Neon
Eww, a MAP spoofer. I didn't know that. That's awful! Stay away from it.

If one were to check out the 'stang forums and newsgroups for info on Jet products I think you would see similar comments. Everytime I wonder how these jack-offs stay in business I remember that the guys who make the tornado superchargers are still in business too.

Then I cry cuz I'm not a big enough prick do pull stuff like that thus I'm poor.

<!--QuoteBegin-jturkey69
@
hey matt, how can i contact them?
is it better then an ase chip?
has anyone dynoed the ase chip?

i want to get my car tuned, but i want to know which is gonna be better, and available sooner. i know that runnin on the dyno with my curent set-up will prolly offer more than the ase, but i want to know when they are avialable to do this for me.

thanks
jon
[/quote]

<!--QuoteBegin-jturkey69

well the ase isnt exactly a chip...its a computer tune, in which you send ur ecm into the company where they tweak it for a lil more horsepower and torque, and ups the rev limiter 500 rpm, and gets rid of that dam speed limiter

ive heard that most ppl are VERY happy with this....oh yeah...it also sends info to the tranny for more pressure in the lines to make a firmer shift.

not sure if i left anything out or not
[/quote]
Old 11-20-2003, 01:48 PM   #3
3.4Alero

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Poppa Naich+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Big Poppa Naich)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>No, it is not done for the Alero yet... they have GA tunes up and selling... from partsforyourcar.com.

The alero one will be available soon, tuned for CAI and exhaust... but you will not have to bring your car in... you pay a core charge, and they ship out a freshly tuned computer. You then take yours out and send it to them, and swap in the reprogrammed in.

Then you need to get a CASE relearn done by a dealer.[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by jturkey69+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jturkey69)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>nick........how could i explain why i needed a case re-learn done on my car that still has the warranty???...would this puter be undetectable as well?

i posted some questions for matt, but he seems to be pretty busy, as i havent heard from him yet.[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Poppa Naich
I think that most places would be cool about it, remember, with the warranty, it's not your job to prove that a mod DIDN'T cause a problem... its their job to prove it did!
Quote:
Originally posted by jturkey69
well i do know that matt was gettin down 162 hp to the wheels...until his radiator let go, so im not really sure...i havent heard from him in awhile about this

so if memory serves right...usually you figure in 20% driveline loss...and our cars are rated at 180 hp?or is it 170...i forget
Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoosoup
7-14HP at the wheels.

The power is equivelent to the ase but it's spread more evenly across the whole power band.
Where my ASE seems to lose on the low end, but has a nice bump from the mid to high end.
You should have a nice torque and hp gain from the bottom to the top with the DHP.
Quote:
Originally posted by jturkey69
exactly...due to the fact its tuned for cai and free flowing exhaust

but my question is...can you feel a difference with your ASE?
how much faster is it you think?
shift points?
top end?

thanxs for answering...i didnt know who had the ase chip so i could ask
Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoosoup
I definitely feel a difference. It was a bigger gain than I had with just the exhaust alone. Say I'm cruising along at 25-30 miles an hour and kick the pedal down. That is where I notice the most difference. And where the stock has long drawn out smooth shifts, the ASE really bangs it into gear compared to stock. I haven't really pay'd all that much attention to the shift points. It doesn't seem to negatively affect performance, but it probably doesn't help much either. I've heard that the DHP might not shift quite as hard as the ase. I have to get a hold of a GA owner that lives by me so I can test his DHP modded car out.
The DHP also offers a coupl eof things that the ASE doesn't have. 1. Skip shifting 2. Your cooling fans run for a minute or two after you shut the car off.

I still haven't had a chance to test out the speed limiter.
Quote:
Originally posted by mfuller
Sorry, it's taken me so long to update you guys, but here goes - I'll try to answer all the questions I've seen thus far.

No, Alero calibrations are not officially done yet. I did forward Charles a list of VIN numbers and model years so he can sift through the year-to-year changes in the code. I haven't heard back from him in about 3 weeks, so I'll try to get a response from him this week.

That said, the gains from DHP and ASE are about the same. Both provide maybe 8HP or so (ASE's claims of 20HP are so ridiculous I don't even want to discuss it.). DHP manages shift firmness by throttle position and RPM; it varies throughout the entire range. DHP only commands firm shifts when you need them; I think it causes less wear on the transmission than ASE (and definitely better than the Autotrans Interceptor, which is garbage). I use stock shift points in my calibration because I think they work better, but the off-the-shelf cal will likely have shift points up about 200-300rpm over stock. The speed limiter is gone (of course), and the rev limiter is up to 6400rpm. The cooling fans for the radiator turn on at 187 degrees instead of 205, and they are on a 2-minute timer at key-off. DHP does a good job at smoothing out the power curve by adjusting fuel trims and timing advance through the entire rev range; ASE is more of a "canned" approach.
In short, driveability is vastly improved and the car pulls strong at any rpm, although the differences are most apparent over 4 grand. Another big plus the DHP is no down time (unlike ASE).
Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndAlero
maybe a question better asked of Matt... but since Matt has the headers on his car as well, is there a version (or will there be a version) available for someone with a CAI, headers, and exhaust??

I'd like to take advantage of everything I have on the car... not sure how much difference there will be between what Matt has currently and the "of the shelf, stock" version from DHP.
<!--QuoteBegin-Big Poppa Naich
@
i think matt is getting a custom tune....[/quote]
<!--QuoteBegin-mfuller

The "off-the-shelf" version will be meant for cars with a CAI, cat-back exhaust, and a 180 thermostat. There is virtually no difference between my calibration and what everyone else will be able to buy - headers just allow a tad more timing advance, but the calibration is the same.[/quote]
Old 11-20-2003, 01:56 PM   #4
3.4Alero

Quote:
Originally posted by loudalero+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (loudalero)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>So it will need a 180 degree thermostat for this computer if so i already got one jsut never installed it because i think that it kils the heat in a car in the winter.[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by speedy+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (speedy)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I had mine installed before this past winter and had no problems with the heater.[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by loudalero
Well that works but I thought that it would allow the coolant to start circulating sooner and hence causing the motor to not get as warm as it did before.
<!--QuoteBegin-mfuller
@
Haven't heard anything.......patience is a virtue. Ya'll could always e-mail them at info@digitalhorsepowerinc.com.[/quote]
<!--QuoteBegin-DHP Rep

We currently only offer calibrations for Alero's on a custom tuning
basis.
To date, our only production "Version 1.0" products for 3400 based
platforms
is the Grand AM GT.

The most economical solution for you guys would be to arrange for a
group
dyno tune day (no more than 5 people however due to time constraints).
This
would require you guys to either come to a dyno in Chicago or Detroit
(we
have gone on road trips, however the requesting group pays for our
travel/expenses).

Let me know,

Jason

>From: Jonathan Pasterski <jturkey69@yahoo.com>
>To: info@digitalhorsepowerinc.com
>Subject: alero 3400 pcm
>Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 20:54:30 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Hello, I was hopin to find out any information you cuurently have on
>availability of the 3400 alero copmputer re-calibration. There are
quite a
>few members of Aleromod.com that are anxious to buy one.
>
> I would like to know if you have time to do one or more?
>
>how much it will be?
>
>Do you have a phone # i can call to get more info?

THIS WAS THE LAST E-MAIL I JUST GOT..SO IT LOOKS AS IF ...
1. MATT MIGHT BE THE ONLY ALERO DONE
2. THIS GUY MAY BE JUST THE SALES PART...NOT A TECHNICIAN.
3. WE SHOULD TRY AND SET UP A DATE TO GO DOWN AND GET THIS DONE...IM IN FOR SURE..BUT MAYBE MATT OR SOMEONE CLOSE BY THEM CAN CALL AND GET A TENATIVE DATE SET....BUT I FOR ONE AM IN ON THIS ...SO MAYBE I WILL TRY TO CALL ALSO TO SEE WHATS UP
[/quote]
Old 11-26-2003, 01:31 PM   #5
aLeRogrL21
GL Member

aLeRogrL21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to aLeRogrL21
Have you checked out the Diablo chips?
Old 11-26-2003, 03:51 PM   #6
3.4Alero

never heard of them. more info or a link, please!!
Old 11-27-2003, 07:00 PM   #7
seed_o

I don't think diablo has a chip for Aleros. I think they're for the Focus.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:42 PM   #8
aLeRogrL21
GL Member

Diablo makes a chip for just about any car and truck...a couple of my friends' who drive diesel trucks...have them! Just try diablo.com. I was thinking about getting one for my alero...it's about $300. I'll get back to everyone on the website. But my boyfriend has one in his 03 mustang cobra and he likes it.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:09 PM   #9
aLeRogrL21
GL Member

www.diablosport.com is the website
Old 12-22-2003, 01:06 AM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Has anybody tried this place. I was thinking of getting this one.

c-ya-racing

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:52 AM   #11
Alerosince99

I contacted him about a month ago. He said they were currently working on the version for the alero and that when he was done he would contact me. I would guess he will have something by springtime if not sooner.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:52 PM   #12
speedy

Also note -- especially you Canadians in Alberta -- you can go to an authorized Diablo dealer and get a custom tune done.

There is one in Red Deer complete with dyno and all to do the custom work and reasonably priced.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:20 AM   #13
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
has DHP completed our performance ecu's yet i'm ready to buy one?
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 01:28 AM   #14
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
charles has e-mailed me for my vin #, so as soon as i hear from him i will post whats up...i sent out the e-mail yesterday, so prolly ina week ill know for sure
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:24 AM   #15
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
What about the DHP chip on PFYC for the GA? I know that the GA has a different final drive ratio, but will it work in an Alero?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:58 PM   #16
overdrive75

Quote:
Originally posted by Redog@Jan 3 2004, 10:24 AM
What about the DHP chip on PFYC for the GA? I know that the GA has a different final drive ratio, but will it work in an Alero?
If the chip is for the GA v-6 SE it will. If it is for the GAGT then it will not.

Also will you guys quit calling your controlers ECU's, they are PCM's then control both Transmission and engine.

ECU = Engine Control Unit
ECM = Engine control Module
TCM = Trans control Module

PCM = Powertrain Control Module. All alero's even the ones with manuals come with PCM's
Old 01-07-2004, 10:44 PM   #17
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
Sorry man I'm a diesel mechanic, ECM is a very common term for me! Habits are hard to break, especially when they make you lots of money! :thumbsup:
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:28 PM   #18
Orion

so get to the point guys, is thing done or not, its taking forever for these guys to get this chip out. Has anyone talked to them and asked if they are working on it as we speak or what? Are we waiting around for no reason, how positive are they, they are coming out with one?
Old 01-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #19
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
well charles e-mailed me for my vin #, and usually they get back to me in a month or two, they are worlking on alot of the g/a cars from the ga forums, so i have just tryed to be patient as possible for now...it sux, but besides ase...and i guess diablo...no one is gonna help us unless you wanna spend 1300 bux for the new AEM stand alone system
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 02:13 AM   #20
Orion

Tell that guy if we get a preorder now will he get his ass moving?