Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
jwateland
GX Member

jwateland is on a distinguished road
problems with the shift kit

so my shift kit is doing the wierdest thing... i keep it on stage 1 and i never switch it off. it will be working normally then sometimes when i shut the car off and go back to driving it it is still in stage one but it feels like stock. so if i switch it off and drive it around for a while like that and then before i go to start my car i'll switch it back into stage one and then it will work like normal. i've tested it with stage two and i have no problems with stage two acting in the same manner. it's kind of a annoying circle cause i love driving it in stage one and poof all of a sudden the enjoyment is replaced with problems. anyone with a shift kit experience any problems like this. or know why it's acting like that?
jwateland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
undecided02
GX Member

undecided02 is on a distinguished road
who makes the kit?
undecided02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
Justin081
V.I.P. Member

Justin081 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Justin081
I have the B&M shift kit and have never had any problems like this with it. dunno if your talking bout the B&M one tho.

Justin081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
jwateland
GX Member

yeah it's the b & m shift kit
Old 10-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
sounds like a loose connection. i used tap splice's and the one wasn't crimped tight so mine acted weird till I found the problem.

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:24 AM   #6
jwateland
GX Member

yeah i used the tap splices that came with it. and when i first test drove it it wasn't working. so with the hot a** engine (cause i was short on time) i remo;ved the splices only to find that they didn't break through the insulation. so i fixed that and it worked great for a while. but i talked to someone else that ran into problems with the connections. so i took thier advise and i soldered them. i test drove that thing all over and it works great! but we'll see how it goes. if anything changes i'll sure to let you guys know.

FYI: B & M shift plus shift kit

triple check to make sure you are connecting to the correct wiring. there are a few blue wires with white lines and the same for the red wire with a black line. there is a good step by step with pics thread name: Installing B&m Shiftplus On 4t40 the plug wires are the same for both 2.4 and 3.4. then triple check your connections the tap splices that are supplied may not bite through the insulation. for a 100% fale safe remove a little of the insulation on the plug wires ( i actually utilized the teeth on the tap splice to help cut through parts of the insulation) and solder the wires. even just the 5 dollar pen shaped solder tool from wal-mart actually works very well for this application (it's what i used)
Old 10-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
jwateland
GX Member

so it started doing the samething again! i called b & m and talked to one of thier techs. the one thing that they could think of that would cause this is that sense the transmission is electronicly controlled and has a memory that the computer is trying to learn the settings and reset itself. that's what it felt like to me but, i'm gonna try and shutting it off before i park it and turn it on while it's on cause you can switch to higher mode with the car on it just has to be in park.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
i just installed mine last week along with some other adjustments i had 2 do. but im going back 2 finish and ill let u know if i have any problems, plus i did disconnect the battery
Old 10-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
jwateland
GX Member

me too
Old 10-06-2008, 11:29 PM   #10
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Well the shift kit seems to be working fine, although I plan to do another tranny and filter change soon.